Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

"There is luck, and there is fate, and there is whatever the hell that was, the football equivalent of finding a four-leaf clover attached to a rabbit’s foot hidden somewhere in a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow".

22Musso22

Re: Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

Is the the play that Kelly was clearly over the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball?
Either way, that was another TD they stole from us.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Re: Totally On Target Sports Illustrated Analysis Of The Ole Miss "Lucky Touchdown"

To the point - The players body must be totally over the line of scrimmage. He clearly was not completely over the line. On the other TDS clearly our Refs are either intentionally or blindly missing the linemen downfield.
The head coaches know this and are using it to their advantage. I mean look who the coaches are. Ole Miss and Aubrens.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

"There is luck, and there is fate, and there is whatever the hell that was, the football equivalent of finding a four-leaf clover attached to a rabbit’s foot hidden somewhere in a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow".
I've never figured out why a rabbit's foot is considered lucky - it sure isn't lucky for the rabbit, and he's got four of them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Is the the play that Kelly was clearly over the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball?
No, and no such play happened because Kelly was never 'clearly' over the line of scrimmage; that TD still should have been nullified by the lineman up the field but oh well.

22Musso22

To the point - The players body must be totally over the line of scrimmage. He clearly was not completely over the line. On the other TDS clearly our Refs are either intentionally or blindly missing the linemen downfield.
The head coaches know this and are using it to their advantage. I mean look who the coaches are. Ole Miss and Aubrens.
Thanks for that clarification 45long. I hate that rule.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

We just need to overcome any adversity that confronts us!

We almost did in last year's game as well as this year. Last year, #88 should have been more aggressive in going after that pass in the end zone instead of waiting for it to land in his hands. This year if #14 could have gotten the ball away without an Ole Miss player knocking the crap out of him (OL blocking would have helped), that could have been a TD pass.

So, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would not have lost last year or this year to Ole Miss. I've also heard that you make your own luck by doing what you need to do. I guess Ole Miss did that in 2014 and 2015.

I DVR'd the game and had to delete that NIGHTMARE!

RTR for the rest of this year and in the NC Playoff in 2016!!!!!!! We're not out of it until that fat lady sings and she hasn't sung yet!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Do you have a link or just quoting from the magazine? I'd love to see the whole article without having to subscribe to SI.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

We just need to overcome any adversity that confronts us!

We almost did in last year's game as well as this year. Last year, #88 should have been more aggressive in going after that pass in the end zone instead of waiting for it to land in his hands. This year if #14 could have gotten the ball away without an Ole Miss player knocking the crap out of him (OL blocking would have helped), that could have been a TD pass.

So, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would not have lost last year or this year to Ole Miss. I've also heard that you make your own luck by doing what you need to do. I guess Ole Miss did that in 2014 and 2015.

I DVR'd the game and had to delete that NIGHTMARE!

RTR for the rest of this year and in the NC Playoff in 2016!!!!!!! We're not out of it until that fat lady sings and she hasn't sung yet!
The fat lady will start singing if we lose to Georgia, and I believe our coaches and this team understand the urgency fully.

asteele327

Jun 18, 2015

I'm honestly a little disappointed that we aren't attempting to incorporate it any. I'd say Freeze is easily one of the top coaches in the conference, and Malzahn knows a thing or two about offense. It clearly can be exploited when a team needs a big play, which we have other than last year when we had Cooper. I hate that style of football, but if they're not going to call it, we might as well use it to our advantage. Might free up some running room on the edge for Drake too, because the linebackers won't be able to crash the edges as quickly.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

sorry, but it was clearly a legal play per the rules.

MetallibamA

Aug 26, 2007

sorry, but it was clearly a legal play per the rules.
No, it wasn't. Not because of the QB position, but because of the linemen who were clearly several yards beyond the 3 yard buffer.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al

I don't think the reference is about the illegal play but the play where Kelley lost the snap, threw it up in desperation as he was being sacked, then the ball bouncing off our defenders helmet and into the hands of a receiver who ran it for a TD.
Between that play and the illegal play, those accounted for fourteen points and over a hundred yards of offense.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Technically it wasn't legal.. one of their man was six yard down the field when the ball was thrown... That should've been caught...

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms

Ok, neither matter. Everything that happened is part of playing football. Over the line, miracle pass, 5 turnovers, etc.. I know the loss hurts, the players even worse. but the fight they show was what we should all be talking about. not how they lost. We can make all the excuses in the world, don't change the facts. Just keep supporting the boys, as I know all true BAMA fans will!

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

I'm honestly a little disappointed that we aren't attempting to incorporate it any. I'd say Freeze is easily one of the top coaches in the conference, and Malzahn knows a thing or two about offense. It clearly can be exploited when a team needs a big play, which we have other than last year when we had Cooper. I hate that style of football, but if they're not going to call it, we might as well use it to our advantage. Might free up some running room on the edge for Drake too, because the linebackers won't be able to crash the edges as quickly.
That play looked like it was just a good read by the QB. It's only recently been called "the pop pass". In years past it was more of a desperation throw or a typical run throw option for the QB rolling out.

It should have drawn a flag for ineligible/illegal man downfield, but our DB's need to stay on the receiver regardless of where the linemen are. It can be the difference between a touchdown or a nice gain by the QB who should to be lit up each time he decides to cross the line of scrimmage.

I'm certainly not convinced Freeze is "easily one of the top coaches in the conference" even if that made the loss more bearable, and Malzahn may know a thing or two about offense but the signs are pointing toward a coach that may be over his head. If this new QB he's starting over his previously anointed "Cam 2nd" doesn't turn things around his "thing or two" he knows may not be enough. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.