JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
ULM Preview: Alabama has to set an identity while it still can
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 22nd, 2015 11:48 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 22, 2015 For the second consecutive week, Alabama finds itself playing a so-called “revenge game.” The last time Louisiana-Monroe visited Bryant-Denny Stadium, the year was 2007 and Nick Saban was in the process of installing “The Process” into the Alabama program. By now, everyone knows what happened: A technically […]

Read More Here

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Start Coker and let him play the entire game.

He ain't great but he probably gives us the best chance to win over the long haul.

Hopefully the D keeps their offense to a lot of 3rd and long situations to give us work on that weakness.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
thanks jess. i am hoping that we see some semblance of offensive identity this week too. and i hope that identity involves a lot of running with some play action mixed in.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would love to see us go back to what was working against Wisconsin, as well as scrap a lot of the up tempo.

If Coker and the WRs could ever start connecting on the deep routes, we'd be set.

Thank you as always for the write up.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
It's really quite disturbing to see a directional school lead the #1 recruiting class for years running in any category, much less the QB one. For them to even be CLOSE in any talent category is inexcusable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's really quite disturbing to see a directional school lead the #1 recruiting class for years running in any category, much less the QB one. For them to even be CLOSE in any talent category is inexcusable.
1. Times have changed. "Directional" schools are much more talented than they used to be.

2. JMO, and I don't mean to speak for Jess, but I think the ratings don't just have to do with talent but also production. I don't think ULM is more talented than Alabama in any category, but thus far they've gotten better production in a couple of areas.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
the one thing I do hope to see happen even though I know it will not. let the first string stay in till the fourth qtr. Lord knows they need the work. and I'm talking about the connection between the QB and the WR's more than anything.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
As Herb Brooks was one of the first to note, collecting a group of the best players does not always (and in most cases does not) result in the best team. Five star players often come with outsize egos and a "me first" attitude. You need a mix of prima donnas and scrappy blue collar supports to have a great team. Bama is now well stocked with prima donnas but short on blue collar supporting players.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I'm super interested to see how the offense is called. I could see value in trying and build continuity in the passing game now that Coker is the "starter", and is he really? The other side of the coin is do you try and pound the ball and establish power between the tackles approach? I would like to see us not be cute in this game. Line up and hit somebody, and then work off of that with the passing game.

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
Thanks Jess. I always enjoy reading your analysis.

Do you (or anyone else) know what Kiffin's philosophy regarding playcalling is? And in this case I mean, does he have a set script of plays he wants to run or certain plays based on down and distance?

He doesn't appear to find something that is working and make the other team adjust to stop it. And I'm not seeing a lot of halftime adjustments to take advantage of a strength or limit a weakness.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
As TideEngineer08 mentioned, this has to do with more than just raw talent level at this point of the season. If we were to just talk about the talent at the QB group and ignore production and performance thus far, Alabama would have the edge and it wouldn't really be close.

Until Alabama decides how it wants to operate that position, however, it's going to be a potential sore spot. If the Jake Coker that played in the second half against Ole Miss shows up in this game and continues to settle in, Alabama has nothing to worry about. If Alabama keeps rotating quarterbacks without any discernible structure, that's something else entirely.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
ULM has the better QBs and we have the better Special Teams? That wasn't what I was expecting to read.

smokewagon212

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2003
Macon, Georgia
I enjoyed your article, but I'm not sure making inferences about things is always good idea. I mean none of us really knows what goes on at practice or meetings and just because it was a #1 recruiting class, doesn't mean the players will pan out [see last 20 Mr. Footballs in Alabama]. I want to win every game as well but it's not always possible. I don't know what a football team identity is but I'm not sure that is the issue. Time will tell. But I really enjoy your articles, you have a great writing style.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.