The Pope's visit to America

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
They should have played "Coming to America" by Neil Diamond when he entered the White House or Congress.

I say, I'm conflicted.

Is he trying to spread a Christ-like message? Is he in cahoots with our President on Global Warming aka Climate Change, etc.?

Is he he trying to spread a Christ-like message by wanting us (USA) to redistribute all our wealth to other countries? What wealth, $18+ trillion in debt? Does he know that our country is $18+ trillion in debt?

He wants us to accept immigrants from the Middle East even though, there will be radicals in that bunch who want to kill us. Where is Pope John Paul I or II when you really need him/them? Maybe he should go to Syria, Iraq, Iran where ISIS/ISIL, et al are and spread a Christ-like message. Is he naive regarding the real world or is he sincerely trying to spread the Word? Maybe the Vatican can accept the radical immigrants.

Does he know that the USA has done more than any country in the history of the world to help people in other countries? Foreign aid, plus mainly Christians giving of themselves and their wealth or lack of it to help their fellow man. Has he heard of Samaritan's Purse and many other organizations that jump in and help mankind all over this Earth? Who is always there to help when crises occur: tsunami, earthquakes, other disasters, when tyrants are out of control, etc.? Just call on the old USA. We will always be there unless we no longer exists.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Am I a jerk because I wonder why the head of a church going somewhere is considered news?

If the President of the Mormon Church came to DC, would there be a big deal about it? How many of you non-Mormons even know what that guy's name is?

I know the argument will be that there are X number of Mormons and whatever number times that of Catholics, but I just don't get in THIS day and age why this is even a news story. If Charlemagne or Constantine were here, I'd get it. Catholicism isn't even the largest professing Christian body within the US anymore (evangelical Protestantism is) although I'll grant that none of them separate are as large.

And spare me the "anti-Catholic" rhetoric and label, my sister is Catholic for Pete's sake.

I just don't get why:
a) anyone not Catholic even cares what he has to say about anything
b) the news makes a big deal about it

(I know why they did when JP2 came in 1987 - there was nothing else to report).

:)

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Am I a jerk because I wonder why the head of a church going somewhere is considered news?

If the President of the Mormon Church came to DC, would there be a big deal about it? How many of you non-Mormons even know what that guy's name is?

I know the argument will be that there are X number of Mormons and whatever number times that of Catholics, but I just don't get in THIS day and age why this is even a news story. If Charlemagne or Constantine were here, I'd get it. Catholicism isn't even the largest professing Christian body within the US anymore (evangelical Protestantism is) although I'll grant that none of them separate are as large.

And spare me the "anti-Catholic" rhetoric and label, my sister is Catholic for Pete's sake.

I just don't get why:

I wouldn't say you're a jerk for thinking that way. I would say that it simply does not appeal to you. I share that sentiment as well, but some people get caught up in the pageantry, the "Pope Mobile", history of the church, etc.

I view it akin to the British Royal family which interest me in no way. It is a great distraction for some people, I guess. I prefer sports.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I just don't get why:

Well, in part because 31% of Congress is Catholic and the Speaker and the VP sitting behind him (opposing parties) are also Roman?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
selmaborntidefan said:
I just don't get why:
I'm not, and I don't.

Fwiw though, I understand he's had these progressive views since long before he became Pope. His position as Pope simply provides him a bully pulpit through which to spread his opinions to the peoples of the world.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
IMO it is big news for three reasons.

1. It has not happened before (I means speaking before a joint session).
2. A lot of people are trying to use his views for political cover on their positions.
3. Some of his views fit the narrative being pushed by various single issue groups.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm not, and I don't.

Fwiw though, I understand he's had these progressive views since long before he became Pope. His position as Pope simply provides him a bully pulpit through which to spread his opinions to the peoples of the world.
Also, now that he is Pope, his opinions come directly from God and are God's revised word, the Bible need not apply.

If only all these people were this passionate about God and Jesus instead of some ordinary man.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is an odd time for me, typically I wouldn't care at all but seeing this Pope expose all these Catholic Politicians as giant hypocrites is just plain awesome. So much fun to watch

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is an odd time for me, typically I wouldn't care at all but seeing this Pope expose all these Catholic Politicians as giant hypocrites is just plain awesome. So much fun to watch
Many "Catholic" politicians are Catholic in name only. They identify with it because it helps with their voting base. They go to mass with lots of cameras one day, then vote to for every abortion, infanticide measure that comes across their desk the next. I'm glad he is calling a spade a spade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Also, now that he is Pope, his opinions come directly from God and are God's revised word, the Bible need not apply.

If only all these people were this passionate about God and Jesus instead of some ordinary man.
Don't be ignorant.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Many "religious" politicians are Religious in name only. They identify with it because it helps with their voting base. They go to serviceswith lots of cameras one day, then vote to for whatever their owners tell them to, I'm glad he is calling a spade a spade.

fixed it for you as this is far from just a Catholic issue

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.