Should "fluke" plays be blown dead?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I hate fluke plays. Absolutely hate them. In fact, if I knew football could be played in a vacuum where only legitimate plays counted and the team that gained the most first downs and yards always won, I would be almost too pleased.
If it counts for anything, I would be incredibly empty almost to the same extent if Bama was on the winning side of some dumb luck play where a ball boomeranged of some opposing players cleat lace.

In regurgitating the game Sunday with friends, I posed the question: What if any play where the ball last struck an offensive or defensive player in an area other than his hands or arms would be immediately blown dead and ruled an incomplete pass? Or, if the ball leaves the periphery of the first person who comes in contact and could make a play on the ball in general, offense or defense. At first, it was chuckled off but soon in to my points most thought it to be a good idea.

I'm not talking about "trick" plays that are well executed and without penalty; I'm talking about a team getting rewarded for making a really bad decision(s) such as making a hasty throw after a bad center exchange and throwing across one's body without bothering to make a read on the defense. No one should be rewarded for that.

Do you have an argument for or against that? Am I oversimplifying it? Is there some canon of football this would destroy?
Nope! It's just a chance for the Davids to defeat the Goliaths. Now! Alabama is one of those Goliaths that I also consider a David. I never want them to lose! Winning, when it comes to Alabama never gets boring.

Now what happened in 1972 and two years ago with that 57 yard FG attempt, were just plain WRONG. P. S. It was also wrong when $Cam brought the Barn back from the dead a few years ago also!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This topic is gonna be easy pickings for those wanting to exemplify the worst habits of our fanbase. No blue font.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Talk about a fluke play. Field goal boinks ref in head, hits crossbar, goes in.:eek:
Haha - being a graduate of Permian High in Odessa I will say that they have always had that sort of luck (isn't that what we all believe about our rivals?). That ball would never have gone over the cross bar had it not hit the ref in the head.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I hate fluke plays. Absolutely hate them. In fact, if I knew football could be played in a vacuum where only legitimate plays counted and the team that gained the most first downs and yards always won, I would be almost too pleased.
If it counts for anything, I would be incredibly empty almost to the same extent if Bama was on the winning side of some dumb luck play where a ball boomeranged of some opposing players cleat lace.

In regurgitating the game Sunday with friends, I posed the question: What if any play where the ball last struck an offensive or defensive player in an area other than his hands or arms would be immediately blown dead and ruled an incomplete pass? Or, if the ball leaves the periphery of the first person who comes in contact and could make a play on the ball in general, offense or defense. At first, it was chuckled off but soon in to my points most thought it to be a good idea.

I'm not talking about "trick" plays that are well executed and without penalty; I'm talking about a team getting rewarded for making a really bad decision(s) such as making a hasty throw after a bad center exchange and throwing across one's body without bothering to make a read on the defense. No one should be rewarded for that.

Do you have an argument for or against that? Am I oversimplifying it? Is there some canon of football this would destroy?
I understand what you are saying but that is part of the game. Unfortunately most of the time when a fluke play happens it directly effects the outcome. We have certainly been on our fair share of the wrong side of those plays in the last couple of seasons; but we have been the beneficiary of them over the years as well. It is what it is.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Quite an impressive list of comments, and I appreciate the ones that didn't completely expound beyond the post or were baselessly derogatory. Pretty harsh, but somewhat expected as well.

I didn't really get all the points to prove that Bama has at times benefited from flukes when I qualified an opinion about that in the first paragraph of the original post.
I remember watching Quincy Jackson catch our only two touchdowns of the 1998 LSU after the defender deflected under-thrown balls and didn't exactly feel great about that either. We were outplayed that day and could've easily lost. However, those deflections didn't really involve someone making an awful decision during the plays.

I also found it interesting how some would think cleaning up flukes (it's not like they happen often on a team-by-team basis) would make football "perfect" and "boring"; there are numerous completely intended things that happen on a field that are the height of excitement. Ball-hawk interceptions, soul-jarring sacks, 80-yard play-action bombs, on and on... And there are also many plays that get lumped in as flukes that don't fit the parameters I gave. Johnny's 2012 fumbled-snap touchdown isn't a fluke, Kick Six isn't a fluke - it was just the result of a horrible decision to kick while pitting nine lineman, a punter who was holding and a kicker against a cornerback, from there simple physics took over.

I'd like to back up and just ask: In a perfect world (because that's all this is really, a hypothetical argument about a question I've never heard asked), could the game be officiated to keep the team making the mistake from being rewarded.
Or, if onside kicks can be advanced by the receiving team, but NOT the kicking team once it is recovered or if a pass attempt can be blown dead if it first hits an offensive lineman, instituting a rule where at the least a deflected catch could count as a completion but couldn't be advanced doesn't seem so far-fetched. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if our head coach would whole-heartedly support it.

I'll give you another example, I sat in the student section for the 2002 Georgia game and late in the game, we caused UGA to fumble and almost returned it for a touchdown in what would've put the game away. However, they were called for illegal formation that the line judge didn't blow dead before the snap, and we weren't given the opportunity to decline it. A couple plays later, they hit a big gainer that sets them up for the game-winning field goal. Basically, if their split-end would've not screwed up there, we would've most likely won a very evenly contested game. Now, if illegal formation is a dead-ball foul yet the play is run and followed without blowing the whistle... But that's not a fluke; it was just a rewarded mistake.

At the end of the day, I'm all about fixing as many problems as possible. And flukes are problems. Solutions should be in green font...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.