Should "fluke" plays be blown dead?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Plays happen. Luck happens. It's a part of the game. Sometimes it goes for you and sometimes against you.
Blowing a "fluke play" "dead" isn't even a football possibility, and I'm very glad.
I'm laughing as I'm imagining the referee announcing, after the Ole Miss lucky touchdown, "After review, we have a reversal. Even though the receiver caught a tipped pass and ran 60 something yards untouched for a touchdown, it has been ruled that the play was a fluke play. Therefore the play will be considered to have been blown dead at the point of the catch.
Loss of down for the offense. 4th down".
No...No..No...
That's not college football. We lost because we lost. Let's man up, accept it, and move forward.
sip

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
I hate fluke plays. Absolutely hate them. In fact, if I knew football could be played in a vacuum where only legitimate plays counted and the team that gained the most first downs and yards always won, I would be almost too pleased.
If it counts for anything, I would be incredibly empty almost to the same extent if Bama was on the winning side of some dumb luck play where a ball boomeranged of some opposing players cleat lace.

In regurgitating the game Sunday with friends, I posed the question: What if any play where the ball last struck an offensive or defensive player in an area other than his hands or arms would be immediately blown dead and ruled an incomplete pass? Or, if the ball leaves the periphery of the first person who comes in contact and could make a play on the ball in general, offense or defense. At first, it was chuckled off but soon in to my points most thought it to be a good idea.

I'm not talking about "trick" plays that are well executed and without penalty; I'm talking about a team getting rewarded for making a really bad decision(s) such as making a hasty throw after a bad center exchange and throwing across one's body without bothering to make a read on the defense. No one should be rewarded for that.

Do you have an argument for or against that? Am I oversimplifying it? Is there some canon of football this would destroy?
that fluke play could have easily been a pick six tho. I actually anticipated that while the ball was fluttering thru the air.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Georgia Tech is reading this thread and petitioned the NCAA to recognize them as the sole national champions for 1990, citing the Fifth Down game and the disputable clipping call against Notre Dame as 'flukes' that should not have deprived them of the consensus title.

In a related story, the Rams are petitioning the NFL to recognize them as Super Bowl XXXVI champions, arguing that not only did New England cheat with videotape but also only made the game because of a Tuck Rule and got their first TD on Ty Law's interception as a fluke.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.