Auburn 2015 = 2013?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Also don't think it will be a repeat of 2014 unless Ole Miss has some injuries or something in order to drop two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is hard to figure. Ole Miss is not an automatic for undefeated. I wonder what the score would have been had we not gave the ball away those five times? I think we would have won and Ole Miss would be in the 15-18 range. The point I am making is that there is no lock in the SEC West, anything can happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We didn't get skull dragged up and down the field in the run game and have an illegal TD pass like Auburn.
2013 LSU Rushing vs Auburn: 228 yards, 4 TD (combined with 229 passing) for a total offense of 457 yards
2015 LSU Rushing vs Auburn: 411 yards, 5 TD (combined with 74 passing) for a total offense of 485 yards

Nick Marshall, 17 of 33 for 224 and 2 INT (QBR 7.0)
Jeremy Johnson, 11 of 19 for 100, 2 TD/1 INT (QBR 30.0)
Auburn total offense (2013): 457 yards
Auburn total offense (2015): 260 yards
Auburn points in 2nd half (2013): 21
Auburn points in 2nd half (2015): 21

With the exception of the total offense numbers, it IS pretty much the same game. LSU ran more than before but in part that's no doubt due to the fact that Brandon Harris isn't Mettenberger

Not a whole lot of difference

LSU didn't throw up a prayer for a fluke TD either.
In a related story, Alabama committed a facemask on Cyrus Jones's TD in the 2014 Ole Miss game and thus the TD should not have counted, meaning we can't really compare those two, either.

Right?

Auburn didn't commit 5 TO to lose less than a TD.
We didn't commit 5 turnovers in 2014, either. In fact, the turnover margin in 2014 was -1 because although we turned it over twice, they turned it over once.....and incidentally, both turnovers resulted in TDs for each team, so it kinda offsets.

It's apples and oranges.
If you look at the stat line, the apples and oranges comparison (assuming one) is us, not them.

Now to be fair - I think it more likely we run the table than they do simply because they looked so Gawdawful in their first two wins. Coming back against MSU like Marshall did in the final two minutes is a world away from going to OT against Jax State of all teams.

My point is simple: both fan bases are engaging in positive rationalization at this point. We may feel more justified to do so but that doesn't alter the reality both sides are doing it.

And given that we have players tweeting about that very thing - that's NOT a good thing, either. We have a lot of boulders to knock down before we worry about the rankings.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I would argue ours is positive, theirs is delusional. They needed what can only be described as once in a lifetime fluke plays twice to remain one loss team in 2013.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2010, why can't we just admit LSU was better than we were?

There were a lot of problems, and I don't think we can isolate any singular reason for that year:

1) All those teams with off weeks before playing us.
2) Lack of applying the finisher (see Auburn)
3) Turnovers
4) Inability to keep up the frenetic pace of being the target
5) A better top to bottom SEC, esp the West (every SEC West team except Ole Miss won at least 9 games)

Sure, we tore Mich State to shreds, but let's not forget we finally had time to rest before that game, something we didn't have all season. I like to say we were the best team ever in 2011 - starting on New Year's Day with one team and ending the following January with another one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would argue ours is positive, theirs is delusional. They needed what can only be described as once in a lifetime fluke plays twice to remain one loss team in 2013.
I wouldn't call the Kick Six so much a fluke as taking advantage of a situation we put ourselves in. Unusual, yes, but hardly a fluke since they were playing for that play. The UGA game......it always astounds me that Auburn got away with the fact that in about eight minutes of clock time they blew a 20-point lead to a team that had only scored 17 points the rest of the game against them.

And the irony? If Auburn had lost both of those games, Gus's seat would be hotter than the center of Hades right now.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Also Auburn has lost 4 SEC games in a row and 5 of their last 7. We have lost 4 SEC games in four years. Other than the state and conference/division, auburn isn't in the same universe as us.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Also Auburn has lost 4 SEC games in a row and 5 of their last 7.
Entering October 2013, Auburn had lost 11 of 12 SEC games, including a stretch of ten in a row.

We have lost 4 SEC games in four years.
And 2 of the last 5 overall but whatever.

Other than the state and conference/division, auburn isn't in the same universe as us.

Yes, but the comparison isn't between the history or pedigree of Alabama and Auburn (speaking of apples and oranges); the comparison is between the POSITIVE RATIONALIZATION that BOTH fanbases have engaged in the last seven days.

And there's no difference whatsoever in those concepts.

We may be more justified in the reason but that doesn't alter the behavior.

That's all I'm saying. We're mocking them but we're doing the same thing is the point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.