1979 - Alabama kickoff time against Miami .....

rolltide06

Sep 25, 2015
I am new here, been a long time fan, but I need help finding out what time the game was when we played Miami on 11/17/1979....that was the day I was born, we got the "W" 30-0, and it was the first TV game ever from Bryant Denny. Does anyone know or remeber what time it was?

I've tried doing tv ratings search and ABC college football air times fro 1979 and have had no luck. I found a site that will the tv schedule for the day you were born...but it's only prime time. I bought a ticket on eBay from the game, but it the time was TBA...

Roll Tide!
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Re: Need help......

I recall it being the first Night game televised from Bryant Denny. I remember seeing all that lighting around the stadium and how bright it was inside. We'll see how good my memory is when Selma chimes in.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Contact the Bryant Museum by either phone or email, I'm sure they know the answer.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

That seems to be accurate as it was pretty dark by the half and while the band was playing .

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

The game went into darkness and UA had temp lighting set up to finish it for TV

Guess it was technically the first night game at Denny Stadium

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I recall it being the first Night game televised from Bryant Denny. I remember seeing all that lighting around the stadium and how bright it was inside. We'll see how good my memory is when Selma chimes in.
IIRC correctly, they brought in portable lights for the game. Also I believe Jim Kelly was a QB at Miami at the time. I don't remember if he was the starter though.

It was a 3:00 pm CST television time.

EDIT: After looking at youtube clips, it does appear Kelly started for Miami.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I was a student and was there...a Great game! I believe it was the FIRST game televised from Bryant-Denny. At that time almost all the "big" games we're played at Legion field.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

The game went into darkness and UA had temp lighting set up to finish it for TV

Guess it was technically the first night game at Denny Stadium
There were previous night games at what was then just Denny Stadium. Lights had been in place for some time.

This was the first televised night game at Denny Stadium. Thus the previously-cited temporary lighting.

I was a student, but watched it on TV. Had to do with a woman ;-)

Last edited:

rolltide06

Sep 25, 2015
Thanks guys.....I watched it on YouTube but didn't look thru the comments....I really appreciate the info, looks like I was born after the games was over...6:22 pm. We are 5-1 on my birthday, only loss was to LA Monroe....been looking forward to this rematch for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Funnily enough, I draw a blank that weekend. I didn't see us against Miami, and in all sincerity don't know what I was doing. I know I was in the fifth grade; I even know that TWO weekends before (3 and 4 Nov, the weekend the embassy was taken hostage in Iran) we were in Selma seeing old friends and that I got a rock in my eye that hurt like the dickens. Dad has me not rubbing it and finally the guy we're staying with gives me a Coke, which was such a treat as a kid. I took a swig and the soda popped right into my eye - and washed out the rock (which is how I discovered it was a rock, not just a bug).

The following weekend - 11/9/79 - we nearly wrecked horrifically in Tuscaloosa down there where 82 and 215 intersect. It was pouring rain and Dad was in the wrong lane although he didn't know it. He went sliding out across the muddy grass on the median there and just knew we were going to hit the pavement and get T-boned by a car on 215. But it didn't happen. Saw my first Florida-UGA game the next day and UGA won. (I even know we had a book fair at school that day and I bought the book "The Home Run Kings."

But that particular day, nothing pops up.

Btw - on your birthday in 1985, the Bears absolutely smashed the Cowboys, 44-0, in Texas Stadium, an utter humiliation that was just......incredible in its precision. The next night, Joe Theismann's leg was broken by Lawrence Taylor on a flea-flicker, and he never played again. (On the 19th, I bought an Abba cassette and the nation prepped for the first Gorbachev-Reagan summit in Geneva).

(This is what it's like to live in my brain all the time).

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I was a senior in high school and in Mobile for the state cross country meet at some golf course that I can't recall that day and watched the game there on the tube with my dad and others before heading home to Grant. The golf course was still in recovery from a hurricane earlier in the year and think I came in 51st or something in the meet out of around 200, not my best meet of the year for sure. Somehow I had left my New Balance running shoes at home and had to run in my Converse basketball shoes on grass and running on grass was not my strong point, ran much better on pavement.

Surprised I still even remember it lol!! ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.