Offense out of sync ....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we all knew he's not coming back next year.... It's Kiffin.

I don't know how Good Napier is at playcalling, and I would be scared if he was calling plays...
I really can't see any upside to making that move. While the majority of folks here are quick to say we don't have a qb that is needed for a clk offense they also fail to see that we don't exactly have a bonafide ground and pound line or runningbacks. While Henry is a good rb, he still stutter steps into holes instead of hitting them like Eddie or mark. The toss sweep is Henry's best play. Bottom line stay with kiffin unless he crosses a line that far exceeds the field.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'll say this: I don't think Kiffin understands that Next job he get will be based on his performance here at Alabama. IF he doesn't do well because of his issue here at Alabama.. he's done. He needs to really be humble and understand what's going on in the game little better in order to give us a chance to win.
I have no doubt that he understands that.
Funny, last year most were raving about him. This year some are ready to throw him under the bus. Maybe he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I have no doubt that he understands that.
Funny, last year most were raving about him. This year some are ready to throw him under the bus. Maybe he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.
If that's truly the case, then that's a sad, pathetic case. 5 number 1 recruiting classes and he's just doing the best he has to work with.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guys like Kiffin do what they do, with egos too large for them to be held in check for very long. But he is also very talented. He will continue to get other very good job opportunities.

Saban said last season that he will not handcuff Kiffin, but it seems that he has a few times this year on 3rd and short plays. That shows that Saban does not completely trust Kiffin's judgment with this team.

Kiffin just doesn't seem to be willing to leverage his given talent properly. He seems to have an image in his mind of what plays should be called in certain situations, but fails to take into account the people that would have to actually execute those plays when called. It is a disconnect that has already cost you. Buy he has probably helped you win other games that you might have lost, so how do you weigh the good vs. bad?

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Guys like Kiffin do what they do, with egos too large for them to be held in check for very long. But he is also very talented. He will continue to get other very good job opportunities.

Saban said last season that he will not handcuff Kiffin, but it seems that he has a few times this year on 3rd and short plays. That shows that Saban does not completely trust Kiffin's judgment with this team.

Kiffin just doesn't seem to be willing to leverage his given talent properly. He seems to have an image in his mind of what plays should be called in certain situations, but fails to take into account the people that would have to actually execute those plays when called. It is a disconnect that has already cost you. Buy he has probably helped you win other games that you might have lost, so how do you weigh the good vs. bad?
Yeah, I don't think we win last year at *u if Kiffin isn't calling the plays... of course, on the other hand, maybe we don't throw 3 picks in the game either if Kiffin isn't calling the plays... "good vs bad", indeed

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think many of you are too quickly throwing Kiffin under the bus. Start exclusively watching the O-Line play. Really go back and watch 2013-now. You won't see Pendy/Stoutland quality blocking. Really think about how many times Yeldon, Drake, and Henry get hit or touched right as they receive the handoff. The between the tackles blocking has been putrid. Our 'Body Blow' runs are 1-3 yards at best. They *should* be around 4-6 yards when you consider the talent. This year guys are just flat missing blocks and looking confused.

But for 3 seasons now a Mean Streak has been missing. The ND game to end the 2012 season was the last time we looked vicious. If we are going to call anybody's coaching results into question it should be Mario Cristobal. The O-Line blocking is mediocre to poor on Run blocking and Pass blocking and especially considering the talent. It was really bad last year too but Blake Sims' elusiveness coverered it up a great deal.

Now Kiffin may be getting frustrated and he and CNS may be having misunderstandings but I personally think CLK IS making Chicken Salad out of Chicken... Stuff. It's tough to get continuity going when guys come through untouched and the QB is immediately having to go on the run and/or the RB is getting touched before he can even get going. Yeldon covered a lot up too. He would juke that 1st guy and get us a few yards in spite of awful blocking.

Cristobal is the problem.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The O-line has not blocked well all year. The receivers continue to drop critical balls. The QB's are inconsistent. The play calling can be the best in the world , but if you don't have players compete and perform on Saturday no OC will look great. La Monroe got penetration all day Saturday on our O-line and we think we can block the Bulldogs? Our center(the supposed leader) has been getting dominated the last 2 games. I miss the Stoutland and Pendry O-lines. We simply aren't dominating at the point of attack on offense.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
So the next time Coker throws the ball 15 yards out of the range of our receiver I should yell for Cristobal to go? Got it!
No QB this year has had a clean pocket from which to throw. McCarron pretty much had the luxury of a clean pocket in his years here. It makes all the difference in the world when a Qb throws the ball that he is confident in his backside blockers and with the way our O-line has played, I'd be nervous too. We've had 3 substandard years of O-line play which is when Christobal came in and changed the entire system we used to block.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
So the next time Coker throws the ball 15 yards out of the range of our receiver I should yell for Cristobal to go? Got it!
*Sigh* Did you even read my whole post. The O-Line performance as a whole is the 'primary' problem was my point. QB accuracy aside if the O-Line blocked profieciently on a consistent basis we could just pound the Ball and judiciously call pass plays. Basically we could run the 2009 style offense with Gmac or the 2011 style offense with AJ. They were protected 1st year QB's. Coker and Bateman are being forced to press because they can't rely on a running attack because Cristobal is a poor O-Line coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Everyone has an opinion as to what the "primary" problem, but the reality is that you have only one problem free area on your offense - your RBs. Every other group is a problem. Kiffin knows this, yet he still calls too many pass plays. That is what I am talking about.

Even though your o-line struggles pass blocking, it does not have the same problems run blocking. And you have the best stable of RBs in the nation. How about you switch to a run first offense? Sound like an idea that would better leverage the talent that you have instead of wishing for your 2012 o-line or AJ to come back?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree, Kiffin isn't the one to blame for most part. OL isn't buying Coker time to time.. He has to scramble several times in last two games... I"m just speechless because of OL performance... I don't even know why we havent made the move from Bozeman at RT and move Jackson to LG... What's the hold up?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I agree with most points that everyone has made so far in the thread. One thing I noticed during the OM game is that the play calling seemed to be very predictable. 1st and 2nd down were normally run plays and then a pass on 3rd down. I would like to see some 1st down throws vs UGA considering they will be stacking the box on early downs. If an average fan can pick up a pattern of play calling you can bet that the defensive coordinator has picked up on it also..

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Even though your o-line struggles pass blocking, it does not have the same problems run blocking. And you have the best stable of RBs in the nation. How about you switch to a run first offense? Sound like an idea that would better leverage the talent that you have instead of wishing for your 2012 o-line or AJ to come back?
Ideally I agree with you about utilizing the RB's. I'm just trying to point out that the O-Line does struggle with run blocking just as much as pass blocking. Yeldon and Sims had to juke people to avoid negative plays seeminly all the time last year. Our QB's this year are running from harm without the luxury of 'Sims like' wheels.

Drake and Henry don't have Yeldon's Vision in traffic or Ingram/Trent/Lacy like power to create yards after contact. They need a crease or a hole even to get going and the O-Line isn't giving them much to work with. To Drake and Henry's credit when the do find daylight they make the most out it because of SPEED. But it'***** or miss running. We can't line up and just SMASH people for 4-6 YPC. It's 1-3 yards with fingers crossed that we pop a big play. It's not conducive to will breaking drives or identity creation.

I'm not necessarily pining for Fluker, Warmack, Barrett etc. or AJ to be back....The personnel is not the problem imho...it's their Coaching. I honestly think you put those 2011-2012 guys under Cristobal and we don't win either of those NC's. You win and lose games in the trenches and our O-Line guys are not being given the right weapons to win.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
If I blame Kiffin for anything, it is chiefly for not developing or utilizing an underclassman wide receiver or two LAST season more. Our whole passing game was centered around Cooper and White. Cooper was our stud for sure and he was going to get his passes for sure, but these younger guys should at least be running routes properly. I can forgive Ridley as a true freshman, but the others...

We got caught behind the sticks in terms of a QB succession plan after McCarron. The gamble on bringing Coker in is what it is.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm not sure how you can watch this team play and not realize what a big factor the o-line's mediocrity has been. Yes, you can criticize Kiffin and Coker for some of the things they do, but it all starts in the trenches, and we are simply not pulling our weight there.
*Like* I was starting to think I was the only one who can see it.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
I am by far, no expert. IMO though, it all begins with the O Line and right now for whatever reason are not paying to Bama's standard.
The fact of the matter is, unless we run to the left we have a hard time opening holes, plus Coker has been running for his life a lot this year.

RTR!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I am by far, no expert. IMO though, it all begins with the O Line and right now for whatever reason are not paying to Bama's standard.
The fact of the matter is, unless we run to the left we have a hard time opening holes, plus Coker has been running for his life a lot this year.

RTR!
Precisely. We knew the right side was a question mark, but I thought the left side including Kelly would be rock solid. That has not even been the case. It is not just technique, either. We have had far too many plays where someone came free into the backfield. Stunts seem to confuse us mightily. I was hoping Mississippi was just particularly good on defense and our issues would be cleaned up in last Saturday's relatively easy contest. They were not. I have to believe after 4 games, this is just who we are and what we have. I'd rate it as "underachieving" right now. And it is the most disappointing thing about this year's team.

Saturday will be another of the smaller, quicker D lines. If we can't impose our will on them at the point of attack, we will likely lose in Georgia and it will not be our last loss of the season. If our QB has reasonable time to throw and our RBs have some running lanes inside, we could vault ourselves back into the Top 10 and national conversation. They do not have a lot of depth across the D line -- we have to make that count, especially in the 4th quarter. Have my fingers crossed.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.