Texas just never changes, do they?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
This is laughable. Texas can't leave the Big12. They *are* the Big12. If anyone hates Texas (inc. Big12 referees and other Big12 teams), it's their own fault. This is as stupid as those LSU fans who think the SEC is out to get them and want to leave for the Big12.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Some officials are corrupt and that is the only explanation. In fact I've had a ref whisper to me what he was going to call, giving me a heads up. Now I don't know if he was paid or had a mad on or what. But I know it happens.

Human beings make mistakes and I suppose they are made in every game. Maybe if Texas joined CUSA they could win a few :)

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It could be payback from the last game UTx played against A&M. Talk about home field cooking. A&M didn't stand a chance against the refs in their last game against UTx.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This game had some really bad calls that definitely influenced the game. The guy that wrote the article is probably a homer, but he does have a point. I didn't think there was anything criminal going on, but there were some really bad calls at critical junctures. Charlie Strong got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct close to the end of the game for complaining about a phantom call. It put OSU in FG position. I've seen Bob Stoops and CNS get crazy and not get that kind of call. I don't know what he said, but it definitely influenced the outcome of the game as it allowed OSU to kick the FG to tie things up. The crazy fumbled snap/shanked punt never should have happened.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This game had some really bad calls that definitely influenced the game. The guy that wrote the article is probably a homer, but he does have a point. I didn't think there was anything criminal going on, but there were some really bad calls at critical junctures. Charlie Strong got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct close to the end of the game for complaining about a phantom call. It put OSU in FG position. I've seen Bob Stoops and CNS get crazy and not get that kind of call. I don't know what he said, but it definitely influenced the outcome of the game as it allowed OSU to kick the FG to tie things up. The crazy fumbled snap/shanked punt never should have happened.
When you see them actually touch the ref, get back with me. Strong did. Now, we can argue that it was the ref's fault, but at some point I guess I have to get it off my chest:

Why do so many fans rant and rave against officials making mistakes - oftentimes one or at most two - but overlook every single mistake made in the game by their own players and coaches that have the game close in the first place? Teams will turn the ball (or the punter will drop a snap deep in his own territory) - and the fans will ignore that and blame the refs.

I look at the game stats and see that Texas had all of 11 first downs and 295 total yards while giving up almost 400. I surmise that if OSU had not turned the ball over three times, the game is not even close. (In a related story, Texas got flagged for 158 yards in penalties).

Against Notre Dame, they had nine first downs and 163 total yards and got flagged for 50 yards in penalties.

Against Rice, they had 11 first downs and 277 total yards and got flagged for 42 yards in penalties.

Against Cal, they ran up 650 yards of offense and had 2 turnovers and lost on a missed PAT. Btw - they got flagged for yet another 93 yards in penalties, and I don't recall a single word being uttered about it. I doubt that was a Big 12 crew that flagged them for 93 yards of penalties against Cal.

It seems to me Texas has a problem with penalties regardless of who is calling the game.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
When you see them actually touch the ref, get back with me. Strong did. Now, we can argue that it was the ref's fault, but at some point I guess I have to get it off my chest:
The ref moved into Strong from what I saw. Strong was walking away from the ref and the ref bumped Strong. Huge difference. Maybe you have a different vantage point.

Even the announcer said "just don't know how you call 95 for defensive holding there".

I've only watched the game once then erased it, but in real time, I thought the refs played a deciding factor in that game. Maybe I'm wrong; the game doesn't matter much to me. I image you dislike Texas a lot more than I like Texas.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll defer to your knowledge of the actual game as I was at work. Actually, I don't really hate Texas, I know some classy fans. It was impossible putting up with them every year since 2010 with the "Saban Is Coming" nonsense, which gets old.

I won't even deny refs CAN play a role in the outcome of a game - but most of the time that's only if you let them do so. If the players were executing their plays then unless every single TD got called back on a phantom hold it would not matter. Fact is that if Texas had lost by 17 rather than three - this complaint would have never seen the light of day. If Okie State hadn't turned it over three times that's probably how it turns out.

But even subtracting a couple of 15-yard penalties from them - they still have over 100 yards in penalties, and they've had problems with penalties all year. They have much bigger problems than conspiratorial refs but this is how they're handling it. To be fair - I've heard from multiple sources that the ref walked into Strong (the link didn't work for me). I trust your judgment on it and maybe it's over-the-top - well, except there WAS a ref that punched the EMCC coach in a JUCO game Saturday.....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I agree with everything you say about refs and games.

What started all this was a defensive holding call on a running play immediately after a defensive PI call. The PI call was legit but I don't ever recall seeing DH called on a running play.

Sorry the link didn't work but there are a couple of different views. Horn fans are making GIFS, posting pictures of the guy's house in Lubbock, his address, etc. They're pretty miffed.

The "Saban Is Coming" has worn us all out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One K-State fan agrees with Texas fans. Link

We'd like to be clear on two things here: one, yes, Texas has been the recipient of a lot of bad calls over time, and there's a certain amount of karmic retribution at play. But two, and this is even more important, Saturday's game was an absolute travesty. That many bad calls going against one team is rancid, like the stench of carp left to bake in the summer sun. Is Scipio Tex right? Is there actual corruption at play here? Or is this simply an utterly incompetent crew of officials? (The same crew worked the infamous Baylor-WVU game last season, and was also responsible for the ludicrous 13-minute stoppage of play in the K-State/UTEP game -- you remember, The Punt.)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was at the UT-OSU game and, as an unbiased Bama fan, I think Texas got hosed on the drive when OSU kicked the tying fg.

There were three questionable calls in a row that gave OSU 40 yards without them gaining 1 yard and it put them in chip shot fg range to tie it up.

On a separate note, UT played 57 freshman in this game.

Also, this is the second game in two weeks they've lost on special teams miscues.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
-- The defensive holding on Texas' Poona Ford. Replays showed Ford being pushed by two Oklahoma State linemen on a run play. Anderson said defensive holding has become more prevalent and the standard is "a visible material restriction."

say what? :eek2:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...rk-of-crew-from-texas-oklahoma-state-game.ece

"There were a lot of things that did happen in the game," Anderson said Monday evening after reviewing the game.

"It was a tough game to work from an officiating standpoint. Overall, I was pleased with the way the guys worked. Three were a few mistakes -- and I emphasize a few -- and you want to learn from them."

As one poster asked, "why was this game any tougher to officiate than other games?" Good question. Anderson seemed to be saying we are the officials and you just need to get over our bad calls cause this is a tough job and we screw up a lot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.