Richt warns Georgia to focus on practice, not Bama

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
They're going to pass 1st Saturday.
with their QB lighting up like he has, I would expect them to.

if he's successful early on, it will force us to back off the line, which will open up space for their backs to run on us.

IF lambert is successful throwing the ball, it will be a very, very long day for us.

on the other hand, if we can limit their passing game in a base defense and focus on the run, we should be in good shape.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Key thing to watch: Can our linebackers cover Chubb and Michel out of the backfield? And, they will try to screen us to death.

with their QB lighting up like he has, I would expect them to.

if he's successful early on, it will force us to back off the line, which will open up space for their backs to run on us. IF lambert is successful throwing the ball, it will be a very, very long day for us.

on the other hand, if we can limit their passing game in a base defense and focus on the run, we should be in good shape.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
And that will be our downfall.....
I started wondering during the second half on Saturday when drake and henry were nowhere to be found whether we were resting them because the plan is to run, run, run, run, run and then run some more.

I have to believe that our coaches know that we don't stand much of a chance if we let this game ride on our passing game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I started wondering during the second half on Saturday when drake and henry were nowhere to be found whether we were resting them because the plan is to run, run, run, run, run and then run some more.

I have to believe that our coaches know that we don't stand much of a chance if we let this game ride on our passing game.
Henry didn't play much because he didn't practice much last week (IIRC, he only practiced Thursday) because he had tonsillitis.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ya'll do realize Lambert had 11 ints last year .... Just because he played well against teams that wasn't good.. doesnt mean he'll play well against us... IJS. Bulldogs aren't very good at 3rd down conversions this year... Go look up their stats... Its very pitiful. Just get them in third down situations and we'll be okay.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

David... We just played against Louisana Monroe... Remember what happened last year with our players.. that got hurt during a " scrimmage " game? No sense for our players to get hurt.. I fully expect Drake and Henry to play this weekend. It was real good for Coker to play whole game.. because in 2nd half we got LOT better... I just wish we had done it sooner. It was clear that it affected our chemistry on the offense when we were going back and forth with our Qbs.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Ya'll do realize Lambert had 11 ints last year .... Just because he played well against teams that wasn't good.. doesnt mean he'll play well against us... IJS. Bulldogs aren't very good at 3rd down conversions this year... Go look up their stats... Its very pitiful. Just get them in third down situations and we'll be okay.
i know at this point in the season that it sometimes sounds trite, but they literally have played no one this season. ulm, vandy, s car. (a shell of their former program), and southern.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
quite frankly, I was shocked he transferred to GA and even more shocked he won the starting job.

he was awful at UVA and got beat out by matt johns, who is pathetic.

so, I don't know if it's simply pitiful coaching at UVA, sub-par competition at UGA or what.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
quite frankly, I was shocked he transferred to GA and even more shocked he won the starting job.

he was awful at UVA and got beat out by matt johns, who is pathetic.

so, I don't know if it's simply pitiful coaching at UVA, sub-par competition at UGA or what.
i think it is this. i heard from someone saturday that the qb job has been promised to some 5 star kid out of washington state to get his commitment and as a result, they have nothing in the cupboard and are basically place holding til he gets on campus. not sure how accurate that is, but it sounds like uga

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters, I think Richt is RIGHT here, and what's funny is that some of the folks mocking him here would consider this a stroke of genius if Saban did the same thing. 2012 has NO BEARING AT ALL on this game - none. It will make for some interesting historical reference but only the freshmen who have not gone on to the NFL (or the fifth-year seniors) were even involved with that game. Odds are that next to nobody playing in this game Saturday made any consequential contribution to that 2012 game.

Referencing the 2008 game is even more ridiculous - given that even the oldest players on either team would have been in maybe the 8th or 9th grade when it happened. There will be plenty of those, however, because that game in all honesty was the seminal 'Bama is Back' moment.

As long as Richt doesn't resort to the Butch Jones references to 'the red team' (complete with Baghdad Bob memes), there's nothing wrong with this.

Keep this in mind: Saban took a team that wasn't his own (Shula's players, virtually none his own recruits) into the 2007 game against UGA, a team picked to win the SEC. UGA had manhandled an average Okie State, lost to an average South Carolina, and rolled WCU while we were 3-0 and our only impressive accomplishment was actually pulling out the Arky game in the fourth quarter.

UGA beat us in overtime. We won the turnover battle (2-1) and JP Wilson was unspectacular but steady. UGA had two big guns in the backfield that year, Knowshon Moreno and Thomas Brown, and their QB was the very accomplished Matthew Stafford.

Now, I know the objection will be, "But you're referencing the 2007 game," but my only point is this: Saban has a proven track record through the years of getting more out of a team than they're capable of (insert 2001 LSU reference here). This is NOT a bad team and is HIS team. My only point of reference is the COACHES, which are the same; I wouldn't use a reference to the game in terms of 'revenge' or any such nonsense.

I think Richt is right. I also think the game comes down to this as always:

1) Run the ball (we need big games from the O-line, Henry, and Drake)
2) Stop the run (we MUST stop Nick Chubb - can we?)
3) Win the turnover battle

If we do those three things, we will win. That is the benchmark of success. Go back and look at ANY game from any time and this will tell you the winner 99.9% of the time. Go back to Ole Miss. It can be argued we stopped the run, but we didn't run the ball BECAUSE we lost the turnover battle - badly.

This is why I suspect the entire plan for ULM was to rest Henry and Drake for an attempt to reprise the second half of the 2012 game this week. Granted, our O-line is not as good as that one and it is highly doubtful that Henry and Drake are as good (combined) as Lacy and Yeldon - but the concept is the same.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, but I'll also admit I have not been this nervous about an upcoming game since the 2009 SEC title game. I only hope the result is the same.

RTR

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Jacob Eason, Tony's son. His name appears in that paper so often you'd think he was the publisher.

i think it is this. i heard from someone saturday that the qb job has been promised to some 5 star kid out of washington state to get his commitment and as a result, they have nothing in the cupboard and are basically place holding til he gets on campus. not sure how accurate that is, but it sounds like uga

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.