Confirmed - Bo to play this week...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saw someone on another board comment that Bo has "a sure-handed TE like big body with scat back quickness."

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The biggest difference is that Derrick Henry is Brandon Jacobs and Bo is .....Bo.

By that, I mean, Henry is a speed guy who just happens to be big. He's not all that physical of a back in terms of dishing out punishment. He's not Earl Campbell. He's a mix of Eric Dickerson and Keith Byars. If you'll notice, when he does run over people, he goes down as well, but to his credit he always falls forward.

With Bo, when he runs over you, he doesn't lose any speed. You're just flattened. But that's not the totality of his game. He's a fast guy. I saw him when he was a freshman or sophomore during Christion Jones's senior season at Minor. Chris was coming up from his safety position and had a perfect angle to tackle Bo. Bo made one cut and within 3 seconds had created 20 yards of separation. When he's comfortable and allowing the game to come to him, he's special. Once he started to get all the accolades and playing in All-Star games, he pressed and tried to do too much. Wanting to play wide receiver (something he'd never done with regularity in high school).

But if he can get into a groove...heck, if he can get the ball in his hands in open space, get excited. See the photo below for why.

If Verne mistakes him for D'Shawn Hand, don't blame that on the Bourbon. For reference, DJ Pettway is 6'3" 270 lbs. Bo is bigger than listed.

So yeah...be excited Bama fans. May not be this week, but going forward. Be very excited. Enjoy what's left of this year and the next 2. He won't be here for 4.
Might only be one more, if he's as good as expected. Since he sat a year, he's only got to be in college two and then he'll be three years out of HS which is all it takes to declare.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I really think we'll see Bo all over the field.. Slot, HB, RB... Mix with Drake... I think we'll see lot of short passes...
In most if not all of the pictures I have seen of RB drills this week, Drake is not in the line....I think we will see Drake in more of the slot/ WR rotation possibly with Bo able to play. A lot of the pictures were 2 (Henry), 9 (Bo), 34 (Harris), 5 (Clark), 33 (Gore) without 17 (Drake).

But who really knows outside of the team and staff.

Could be fun to watch....

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I read somewhere that he was doing running back drills behind Harris and the rest of the running backs were running scout team this week. Saban commented that since they knew he wasn't playing for 4 weeks, that they didn't spend many reps on getting him "ready". So what will his role be? No one knows, we may see him go down on kickoffs and see if he's ready to contribute to the team. After hearing what coach said, I don't think we'll see him very much.

In most if not all of the pictures I have seen of RB drills this week, Drake is not in the line....I think we will see Drake in more of the slot/ WR rotation possibly with Bo able to play. A lot of the pictures were 2 (Henry), 9 (Bo), 34 (Harris), 5 (Clark), 33 (Gore) without 17 (Drake).

But who really knows outside of the team and staff.

Could be fun to watch....

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I read somewhere that he was doing running back drills behind Harris and the rest of the running backs were running scout team this week. Saban commented that since they knew he wasn't playing for 4 weeks, that they didn't spend many reps on getting him "ready". So what will his role be? No one knows, we may see him go down on kickoffs and see if he's ready to contribute to the team. After hearing what coach said, I don't think we'll see him very much.
I read the same thing about the RB's w/ Henry, Drake, Harris and Bo. I agree we won't see much of him this week but his role will get bigger as we move forward.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I read that as well.....but a lot of the pictures during warm ups had him second in line.....would be hard to get anyone many reps if they are not playing, and I understand that, but its going to be fun to watch going forward regardless of what Bo does this week.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I read that as well.....but a lot of the pictures during warm ups had him second in line.....would be hard to get anyone many reps if they are not playing, and I understand that, but its going to be fun to watch going forward regardless of what Bo does this week.
That's really interesting. He certainly does know the basics of the offense since he went through spring, and maybe the coaches are trying to see what he can do with increased reps in practice. It would certainly be great to add his unique skillset to the backfield.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Imo they will insert bo in a safe situation with less pressure for mistake or turnover. I don't think you'll see him in there with the game on the line unless it's a case of have to. But stranger things have happened,the coaches know what they have.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tough to go with a guy who hasn't played all season in the first big road game. My guess is that the rotation tightens up at tailback with a heavy dose of Henry and Drake. Harris may not even play much honestly.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Tough to go with a guy who hasn't played all season in the first big road game. My guess is that the rotation tightens up at tailback with a heavy dose of Henry and Drake. Harris may not even play much honestly.
You're right about that. But, it's not like a very talented, untested, player has never played in a big game. And if Bo is the talent we all believe he is, Bama should at least give him the chance to display this talent. Especially since he will not be at Bama for long. And in a game where it's do or die for Bama, put the Waterboy in if it will help win the game. "Well, Brent, you can't hold anything back now."

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Maybe so, but as a true freshman, we rushed Mark Ingram 17 times for 96 yards in his first ever action against Clemson. Bo is a full year ahead of where MI was, and Bo went through spring. I don't think MI was an early enrollee so he'd had less exposure at that point in his career...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You're right about that. But, it's not like a very talented, untested, player has never played in a big game. And if Bo is the talent we all believe he is, Bama should at least give him the chance to display this talent. Especially since he will not be at Bama for long. And in a game where it's do or die for Bama, put the Waterboy in if it will help win the game. "Well, Brent, you can't hold anything back now."
The kick start to this dynasty was partly assisted by a promise by Clemson's head coach to give a true freshman the first carry of the season...he fumbled and Alabama pounced on it. Just saying :D

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Good recall, rgw.

Maybe Bo is so extremely talented that CNS changes his normal practices. But the odds are against it. As for the 3-year timetable, CNS offers his own: If you're better than the other guys, it's your time to play. If not, you practice and try to get better.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oh no doubt, just pointing out the worst case for trying to get a freshman involved early in a game. We handled Mark Ingram much more realistically and cautiously against Clemson. He got a decent number of touches over the course of the game...but they didn't put any undue pressure on him either.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Oh no doubt, just pointing out the worst case for trying to get a freshman involved early in a game. We handled Mark Ingram much more realistically and cautiously against Clemson. He got a decent number of touches over the course of the game...but they didn't put any undue pressure on him either.
I'd say that MI was probably the best RB we had even as a true freshman, or at least the potential was evident, which led to more carries sooner on. Bo could be amazing, but the talent ahead of him is considerable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If the weather is as bad as the forecast says, Bo very well could get plenty of carries. Bama will need to keep Derrick fresh for the fourth quarter, which means a bigger rotation of RBs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.