Players ONLY Meeting (Last Week after OM Loss)

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Re: Players ONLY Meeting This Week

I mentioned in another thread if this would take place (a players only meeting). Glad to see that it has. Sometimes that's the spark that is needed to ignite the fire.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They seem to have these a couple times every year. Seems like it would be more prudent to have a players only meeting before a big game to make sure everyone is focused and that they understand the magnitude of the situation..

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
They seem to have these a couple times every year. Seems like it would be more prudent to have a players only meeting before a big game to make sure everyone is focused and that they understand the magnitude of the situation..
Or how about in Fall Camp leading up to the season.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Or how about in Fall Camp leading up to the season.
Not only do we scrutinize every play on the field... now we are questioning the timing of their meetings ... we truly are an obsessive fanbase .... Not that there's anything wrong with that! :p

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
During the meeting, several team members made their voices heard, most notably senior linebacker and emotional leader Reggie Ragland, who reminded his teammates of the power of keeping the opposition off the scoreboard. “I said, ‘If teams can’t score, they can’t win,’ ” Ragland said Monday. “So we have to come out and just prevent teams from scoring. You can’t score; you can’t win. That’s a motto for us.”

I love this quote from Ragland, but realistically we're not gonna keep UGA from scoring. In the past our defense won championships. I just don't see that happening currently without a little more offensive firepower. Defense can't do it alone in this age of fast paced offenses. I read this article and saw quotes from Ragland and Jones from the defense and Kelly from the offense. I hope the entire offense was in that meeting. Defense, I gotcha. Offense, your turn. Please please please answer the call in Athens on Saturday.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Something Krazy posted last week got me to studying the stats. The average Offensive and Defensive ranking for Alabama's four BCS foes is 59 & 38. The average for Georgia's three BCS foes is 91 & 51. That is a pretty big difference in SOS if you ask me. Now, if we don't fumble and throw interceptions we will win the game.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
If they would focus and listen to the coaches, it wouldn't be necessary.
It would be ideal if they would focus and listen to the coaches. It would be acceptable if they would focus and listen to their peers. Neither here nor there. Either way, same result. I would just applaud their focus.

Truth is every championship team needs team leaders. It's hard to get the ring without a few of those. Glad to see that there are some players who are at least trying to fill that role.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Glad to see the vets are getting the younger ones in line. Seems to have been our issue lately with these younger 5-stars, they think we automatically get a W for just showing up but in the SEC they don't realize we get everyone's best game it seems. We have a playoff team if these kids stay on track. There will be a lot of teams dropped ahead of us, that you CAN bank on.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone note the comments from Kelly? Sounds like the team realizes that the fans didn't have their backs after that loss. I like the us vs. the world mentality. I just hope that the reason that the o-line was handed its lunch by ULM was as Saban suggested - vanilla blocking schemes vs. stunts and blitz packages. We will find out soon enough.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Anyone note the comments from Kelly? Sounds like the team realizes that the fans didn't have their backs after that loss. I like the us vs. the world mentality. I just hope that the reason that the o-line was handed its lunch by ULM was as Saban suggested - vanilla blocking schemes vs. stunts and blitz packages. We will find out soon enough.
I don't buy the vanilla blocking scheme by the o-line. What does that even mean? Do we have some exotic o-line blocking scheme that will be unveiled vs UGA? Maybe Alabama just played down to the level of their opponent. I could buy that. BTW, I fully expect for Bama to put forth their best effort in all phases vs UGA. I just don't think the o-line playing any better has anything to do with blocking scheme. Maybe a little on run blocking (but again, it's not like Alabama is going to unveil a blocking scheme that hasn't been seen before) but pass blocking by the o-line is very straight forward..

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't buy the vanilla blocking scheme by the o-line. What does that even mean? Do we have some exotic o-line blocking scheme that will be unveiled vs UGA? Maybe Alabama just played down to the level of their opponent. I could buy that. BTW, I fully expect for Bama to put forth their best effort in all phases vs UGA. I just don't think the o-line playing any better has anything to do with blocking scheme. Maybe a little on run blocking (but again, it's not like Alabama is going to unveil a blocking scheme that hasn't been seen before) but pass blocking by the o-line is very straight forward..
Yes. Go back and watch the Wisconsin game and then watch the ULM game. You'll see lots of combo blocks, pulling guards etc. against Wisconsin and very little if any of that against ULM. On Saturday I think we'll see an Alabama team that looks much more like the one that played Wisconsin than the one that played the last three games.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Anyone note the comments from Kelly? Sounds like the team realizes that the fans didn't have their backs after that loss.
He didn't mention fans at all. I took it to mean he was referring to the media. That's who those kids hear more than anything else is the talking heads, who are definitely down on Bama now.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
He didn't mention fans at all. I took it to mean he was referring to the media. That's who those kids hear more than anything else is the talking heads, who are definitely down on Bama now.
I think he's referencing both. The media is down on us and there are lots of articles to support this. But lots of the players are on social media and have fans as "followers". Sometimes those followers get down on Bama as well and I'd imagine these guys are probably more tuned into that than they are traditional media outlets.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yes. Go back and watch the Wisconsin game and then watch the ULM game. You'll see lots of combo blocks, pulling guards etc. against Wisconsin and very little if any of that against ULM. On Saturday I think we'll see an Alabama team that looks much more like the one that played Wisconsin than the one that played the last three games.
So if all those schemes are already on film from when Bama played Wisconsin what's the harm in running them vs ULM or Middle Tennessee so the team can work on gelling and getting better chemistry? It's always this time of year when folks think that Alabama is "hiding" something or waiting to unveil something that will be unstoppable. Last year it was the Tight Ends. The year before that it was the wildcat package. The year before that it was something else..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.