Does Bama Takeaway UGA's Run Game or Pass Game First?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I originally expected Bama to make Lambert beat them Saturday. Then, I heard Preston Gothard on a Montgomery radio show yesterday. He said Alabama should plan to takeaway the passing game first since its success would allow for better running lanes and the DL is stout enough to handle the run game on its own early in the game.

Which do you expect?

Does Bama defend UGA like many teams defend Bama and stack the box early?

Or, does Bama try to take Lambert out of the game and make Gurley beat them?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The easy answer is we try to make them one dimensional.

Unfortunately, this will also require that we build a decent lead with some offensive output.

We get them into a situation where they feel forced to throw the ball will mean we've stopped their run and gotten a lead.

Now, which we do first is the $64,000 question, but I think it involves doing a pretty good job at both of those things.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We know for a fact Chubb can beat us. We don't know that about Lambert.

Take the ground game away first, make them one-dimensional, then worry about passing.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Commit to shutting down the run first and pressuring Lambert into uncomfortable situations. Force him to beat you with his arm.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I originally expected Bama to make Lambert beat them Saturday. Then, I heard Preston Gothard on a Montgomery radio show yesterday. He said Alabama should plan to takeaway the passing game first since its success would allow for better running lanes and the DL is stout enough to handle the run game on its own early in the game.

Which do you expect?

Does Bama defend UGA like many teams defend Bama and stack the box early?

Or, does Bama try to take Lambert out of the game and make Gurley beat them?
Chubb.

I disagree with Gothard. Take away the strength which is the run game and force Lambert to beat us. I don't think he can do that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think common sense answer is to take away the run game. Force Lambert to win the game for Bulldogs. Make him uncomfortable. I would think we'll present different looks than we've been giving the last three games. Defense has improved since Ole Miss... No reason for them to regress at this point. I think They would try and pick on Hump, but with harrison playing well.. We'll be okay. I hope we'll employ Evans and williams more often in the game... I don't want them on third down sitautions... mix them up.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If by "taking something away" you imply do something different to impact one part of their game over another, I would say don't do that. Play our base d initially w/no emphasis on one thing or another . I think our base d can hold up. I'd throw in some different pressure pkgs early on to see how their QB reacts hoping to get early negative play and/or turnover. Mostly, I think its up to how good our O plays. If we work the run game and let our QB make the throws he is good at; roll outs, quick slants, etc. we can control the clock, get a lead, and put even more pressure on the QB to beat us w/the pass.

Last edited:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
DL play is the most important regardless of defending the run or pass. We've seen how disruptive our DL can be in the passing game by batting down passes on early downs. I think that has been our biggest surprise on defense this season thus far. IF the DL can stop the runs up the middle and continue batting down passes, I think it will make things much easier for the LBs to do their job on the edge and in coverage.

UGA will be a great test for our defense, and the outcome could potentially give us a blueprint for containing LSU later in the season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Honestly, I'd blitz early, make Lambert nervous.....and see how he reacts.....I have faith in Ragland and company handling the RBs in the passing game....

I just looked at their receivers....starters are 6'1", 6'0", 5'8" -- our Secondary is 5'10", 6'1", 6'0" and 6'1" --

We actually are taller in the secondary then they are at WR.....

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
We know for a fact Chubb can beat us.We don't know that about Lambert.

Take the ground game away first, make them one-dimensional, then worry about passing.
Based on what exactly?

I'll take our front 7 over any RB/OL combo in the country over the past 7 years (including our 2012 team)

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
That's where Foster is at his best.
With the RBs- no doubt. He's been outstanding in that role. I'm not sure about covering TEs downfield though. IIRC, ULM got him outside in pass coverage on a TE through a pre-snap shift in the second half but I think it was either incomplete or a sack on the play.

I think it will be up to Reggie to cover TEs downfield. Or maybe this is a good role for Harrison in nickel and dime packages?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With the RBs- no doubt. He's been outstanding in that role. I'm not sure about covering TEs downfield though. IIRC, ULM got him outside in pass coverage on a TE through a pre-snap shift in the second half but I think it was either incomplete or a sack on the play.

I think it will be up to Reggie to cover TEs downfield. Or maybe this is a good role for Harrison in nickel and dime packages?
With Georgia, I would think we'll see little of 3-4, but usually in nickel/Dime package a lot.

I think since georgia isn't the team that does uptempo offense, I think we'll see lot of subs and expect us to go 2 deep at times.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly, I'd blitz early, make Lambert nervous.....and see how he reacts.....I have faith in Ragland and company handling the RBs in the passing game....

I just looked at their receivers....starters are 6'1", 6'0", 5'8" -- our Secondary is 5'10", 6'1", 6'0" and 6'1" --

We actually are taller in the secondary then they are at WR.....
I actually thought the same thing about some early blitz packages...give him something to think about....but just don't get burned with a long TD pass.

But I'll say again, the best thing we can do is to develop a lead and for them to have to start thinking pass more than run.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.