Does Bama Takeaway UGA's Run Game or Pass Game First?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I actually thought the same thing about some early blitz packages...give him something to think about....but just don't get burned with a long TD pass.

But I'll say again, the best thing we can do is to develop a lead and for them to have to start thinking pass more than run.
Wont matter... They like to spread their balls around, and it seems to me OL is buying Lambert time... to throw balls.. if we generate pressures like never before, then he'll be forced to throw early and make mistakes

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I actually thought the same thing about some early blitz packages...give him something to think about....but just don't get burned with a long TD pass.

But I'll say again, the best thing we can do is to develop a lead and for them to have to start thinking pass more than run.
Betting we keep a safety over the top to prevent a long pass. Depending on the formation and personnel, either a LB or S can blitz allowing the other to be coverage with the second safety over the top.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I dont think that will work.. they dont seem like the team to do that consistently... At time we've gone uptempo, we've had receivers running wrong routes... I wonder If they truly can execute that...
i'm just thinking they may fall into this "bama is weak against up tempo" mantra that seems to be conventional wisdom now. also, im thinking they'll try to get some of those quick hit passes that whisky and mtsu were doing early in those games

that's not based on anything but my biased assumption that they are a bunch of slack jawed yahoos when it comes to football ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good thing here is this is the kind of offense CNS and CKS became famous for being able to stop. I hope they haven't forgot how!

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Honestly, I'd blitz early, make Lambert nervous.....and see how he reacts.....I have faith in Ragland and company handling the RBs in the passing game....

I just looked at their receivers....starters are 6'1", 6'0", 5'8" -- our Secondary is 5'10", 6'1", 6'0" and 6'1" --

We actually are taller in the secondary then they are at WR.....
I agree with this 100%. We know what there identity is. They run at you and just when you think they you've stopped the run they play action pass downfield. I say you rattle Lambert early where he is throwing off his back foot and force them to run to beat you which plays to our strengths. I say load the box with an additional safety until they beat you once or twice. I think Harrison could be a nightmare along the edge with his size and speed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Based on what exactly?

I'll take our front 7 over any RB/OL combo in the country over the past 7 years (including our 2012 team)
This. They're straight up nasty.

Wisconsin is averaging 238 ypg rushing against teams not named Alabama - Bama's D only allowed Wisky 40 yards on the ground...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Given our strength on D is the front 7, I'd say take away the run first. Chubb is a good back and we may not be able to completely take him out of the game. But the more we limit his and Michel's production and force the game into Lambert's hands, the more I like our chances.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm not sure Saban and Smart's philosophy works at taking away the pass first ever.

The reason he recruits so hard in the defensive backfield is because he likes to leave his corners on an island. One on one play means you can shut down the run if your front 7 can dominate.

Our front seven is better than theirs defense to offense, and if they can beat us over the top so be it. I'm not letting Chubb gain anything without it being a struggle.

I also think our DB's match their wideouts well.

The more I study this game, the better I feel. Without turnovers we beat them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Take away the run with 6 and have 5 defending the pass...winning formula. :)
Seven years ago, we took away the oxygen of a better-balanced Georgia team. In the first half, UGA could never get the ball. So each time they did took on more and more urgency, and they didn't handle that pressure worth a lick. The key, then and now, is sustained drives. Then we can turn our defense loose.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Seven years ago, we took away the oxygen of a better-balanced Georgia team. In the first half, UGA could never get the ball. So each time they did took on more and more urgency, and they didn't handle that pressure worth a lick. The key, then and now, is sustained drives. Then we can turn our defense loose.
Great way to put it. We will beat them soundly if we can iron out the offensive glitches.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree 100% but we aren't the same kind of team as we were then. Hoping I see something different on offense this game than what I've seen the last 3 games!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
We'll do what we are built to do. Stop the run and force them to pass. This game, nor the Arky, nor the LSU game really worry me too bad. We are built to stop this type of offense, and frankly are pretty danged good at it. You force a team into passing, odds are in the defenses favor. Remember what Coach Bryant said, 2 out of 3 things on a pass are bad.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I agree 100% but we aren't the same kind of team as we were then. Hoping I see something different on offense this game than what I've seen the last 3 games!
Agreed. Let's count on about six personal foul penalties from UGA. I'm know that's conservative, given that it's a Richt-coached team.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
We'll do what we are built to do. Stop the run and force them to pass. This game, nor the Arky, nor the LSU game really worry me too bad. We are built to stop this type of offense, and frankly are pretty danged good at it. You force a team into passing, odds are in the defenses favor. Remember what Coach Bryant said, 2 out of 3 things on a pass are bad.
I believe that was Stallings and not Coach Bryant. Coach Bryant actually had some very good passing teams.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good point. The way our DL is tipping/knocking down balls I think we will see one picked off this week. Our gameplan should be take away the run and deep ball. Force GA to throw underneath and try to put together long drives which against our "D" is tough to do. I think our D is the difference in this game.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
U
Based on what exactly?

I'll take our front 7 over any RB/OL combo in the country over the past 7 years (including our 2012 team)
Hope you're right, but I think it's a game premature for that level of confidence.

In any event, my phrasing could have been better. The idea I was trying to convey is that if UGA runs on us, they'll be able to pass. But I don't think the converse is nearly that possible.

If UGA wins, it's because they were able to run. If we can play nickel and contain the run, even if we don't shut it down, we win. As an earlier poster said, stop their strength, which they must have to win, and make them beat us with their weakness.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.