Question: Parking at Sanford Stadium and Athens

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
There are some off campus lots up and down Oak/Oconee Street between downtown and the perimeter that aren't too much of a walk to downtown or Sanford and are in the $20-$30 range for parking. There's also a park and ride at Lexington Road and the perimeter which I think runs a bus to downtown on gameday (and is free except for bus fare I think):
http://athensclarkecounty.com/2079/Park-Ride

And of course, there are some free first come, first serve lots on the UGA campus, some with shuttles that dump you at Sanford.
http://gameday.uga.edu/org/parking

The weather doesn't look too bad on Saturday, so a walk (as opposed to a shuttle) wouldn't be too bad if you're so inclined.

As far as don't miss things, downtown has a good selection of bars, restaurants, etc. Downtown favorites for my wife and me are are Last Resort Grill, Trappeze Pub, and Big City Bread (two blocks west of downtown), and Creature Comforts Brewing Company (an Athens brewery in downtown). If you get in early enough, and park along Oak St/Oconee St, try out Mama's Boy for breakfast, but be prepared to wait to be seated (I guess that goes without saying for a big gameday anywhere really), however typically when you get seated you'll be served pretty quickly. They're personal favorites primarily because everything is generally safe off the menu for my wife who has an odd food allergy. Also, if you don't mind the walk, about three blocks west of downtown on Broad Street, there's a recently opened BBQ restaurant co-owned by a Bama fan (walked in wearing a Bama hat and shirt a couple of weeks ago to pick up a catering order, and the owner remarked about my hat and alumni tag on my car, and we chatted for a while about the Wisconsin game). I haven't eaten at the restaurant yet, so I can only vouch for them on catered events, but what I had was pretty good.
http://www.saucehouse.com/home

And of course, there's the university and Sanford Stadium too...don't miss that. :biggrin2:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There are some off campus lots up and down Oak/Oconee Street between downtown and the perimeter that aren't too much of a walk to downtown or Sanford and are in the $20-$30 range for parking. There's also a park and ride at Lexington Road and the perimeter which I think runs a bus to downtown on gameday (and is free except for bus fare I think):
http://athensclarkecounty.com/2079/Park-Ride

And of course, there are some free first come, first serve lots on the UGA campus, some with shuttles that dump you at Sanford.
http://gameday.uga.edu/org/parking

The weather doesn't look too bad on Saturday, so a walk (as opposed to a shuttle) wouldn't be too bad if you're so inclined.

As far as don't miss things, downtown has a good selection of bars, restaurants, etc. Downtown favorites for my wife and me are are Last Resort Grill, Trappeze Pub, and Big City Bread (two blocks west of downtown), and Creature Comforts Brewing Company (an Athens brewery in downtown). If you get in early enough, and park along Oak St/Oconee St, try out Mama's Boy for breakfast, but be prepared to wait to be seated (I guess that goes without saying for a big gameday anywhere really), however typically when you get seated you'll be served pretty quickly. They're personal favorites primarily because everything is generally safe off the menu for my wife who has an odd food allergy. Also, if you don't mind the walk, about three blocks west of downtown on Broad Street, there's a recently opened BBQ restaurant co-owned by a Bama fan (walked in wearing a Bama hat and shirt a couple of weeks ago to pick up a catering order, and the owner remarked about my hat and alumni tag on my car, and we chatted for a while about the Wisconsin game). I haven't eaten at the restaurant yet, so I can only vouch for them on catered events, but what I had was pretty good.
http://www.saucehouse.com/home

And of course, there's the university and Sanford Stadium too...don't miss that. :biggrin2:
I love Mama's Boy, it is often a stop for me in Athens

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
just a heads up for those going to the game. saw this today in the ajc, parking will be limited saturday

link

Heavy rains have drenched the Athens area over the last week and with more rain in the forecast, one of the largest overflow parking lots on campus — the natural turf intramural fields — will not be available.

The university warns that with the complex off College Station Road unavailable Saturday there will be about 2,000 fewer parking spaces open to fans. The school usually makes room for about 15,000 vehicles across campus.
i guess proper drainage is one of those things they didn't want to sell their soul for

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I will tell you one thing about leaving games there - the police like to set up DUI checkpoints at strategic locations on the way out so watch yourself.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Can't help with parking, but I can sure agree with Mama's Boy and Big City Bread.

Also, I always try to dine at Mark Seven at Five Points across from the fire station. Cali N Tito's is another favorite just down the street from there, on Lumpkin St.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
just a heads up for those going to the game. saw this today in the ajc, parking will be limited saturday

link

i guess proper drainage is one of those things they didn't want to sell their soul for
Natural turf intramural fields? Why would they allow parking there at any time?

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Can't help with parking, but I can sure agree with Mama's Boy and Big City Bread.

Also, I always try to dine at Mark Seven at Five Points across from the fire station. Cali N Tito's is another favorite just down the street from there, on Lumpkin St.
Agree on Cali N Titos. They just opened (well, a year or so ago) another location on the east side, about halfway between my office and home so it's easier for me to get there for lunch. It's not the same atmosphere, but the menu is the same.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.