Link: Nick Saban thinks 20 percent of college football fans are 'bad fans'

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Fan - from fanatic-introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired".

No, I don't think having unrealistic expectations is indicative of a "bad fan". Delusional, probably yes, but not necessarily "bad". I've met many people that I felt were delusional. It didn't mean they were "bad".

I guess that is were the insanely comes in.

Message boards, Twitter and other social media are almost stream of consciousness for folks to say things they wouldn't normally say because of the cloak of anonymity. I don't think it can be applied as a blanket to how many would act if that cloak was removed.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
My own experience is that LSU fans can be the most obscene. Maybe just a coincidence in my experience. But most of opposing fans are cordial at least; I guess Pareto's law is pretty universal in any context.
I guess part of that is how one defines fans. Anyone can put on a team's shirt and act like a fool. There's no question that a portion of people masquerading as fans can make an entire fan base look bad, but I wonder how many of those people were even wearing the same shirt so to speak back when Shula was coaching.

To your point though, I got tickets to the 2008 LSU game because an individual was wary of going to the game. It's not often you get a game with real implications and that much tension. I ended up on the outside of the Alabama section, right next to LSU fans.

LSU fans are supposed to be some of the most ill behaved SEC fans right and they were supposed to be real angry, on top of that they lost. Well, I didn't get so much as a single uncalled for word directed my way. A few fans who really talked to me about it basically said "You have a really good coach and he'll do great at Alabama". The thing is, that sort of thing never makes the news, doesn't sound great on Finebaum, etc... so of course it's not the majority who act decent that end up getting our attention, it's the ones that misbehave.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Bad fan. My uncle is a bad fan. He gets on message boards and finds articles on facebook and comments on them calling other fan bases and coaches stupid, idiots. Recruits going to other schools must want to lose every game. Its pitiful. If you start talking to him all he can do is badmouth other teams. Let a player on Bama's team have a rough outing and it's time to replace him. Let the team lose a game and it's time to fire the coaches. That is a perfect picture of what I call a "bad fan".

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Bad fan. My uncle is a bad fan. He gets on message boards and finds articles on facebook and comments on them calling other fan bases and coaches stupid, idiots. Recruits going to other schools must want to lose every game. Its pitiful. If you start talking to him all he can do is badmouth other teams. Let a player on Bama's team have a rough outing and it's time to replace him. Let the team lose a game and it's time to fire the coaches. That is a perfect picture of what I call a "bad fan".
He might qualify to be simply an unpleasant person as well as a bad fan.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you base your judgement on online presence, I can see that.

When you walk about the campuses and meet the fans, the number of 'bad fans' is astonishingly low. I literally heard not a single cross word from Florida fans towards UT fans this past weekend. Not one. The real world does not mirror the forums, twitter, etc...
Florida fans get bad when they are elite. Not saying all, but talk to people who went to the 08 game and you will see what I mean. Tennessee and LSU are more obnoxious but they aren't horrible. Auburn fans are a little troublesome

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If I had to pick a school with the highest percentage of bad fans it would be Penn State.

I used to think they had some class until it became public what was going on up there.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
My own experience is that LSU fans can be the most obscene. Maybe just a coincidence in my experience. But most of opposing fans are cordial at least; I guess Pareto's law is pretty universal in any context.
Well for the record I don't really consider obscenity in and of itself to be an issue. I mean if they are cussing, I don't care. Now if they were cussing at me? I'd consider that rude and no one did that. I've run into LSU fans I disliked though, just not at that game...

If I had to pick a school with the highest percentage of bad fans it would be Penn State.

I used to think they had some class until it became public what they were doing up there.
I think that's when you get into the definition of "bad fan". Some would argue, that you have to be really die hard to cheer for people that let that sort of thing go on, knowingly. Of course I'd say you'd have to be a bad person, period to do that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Florida fans get bad when they are elite. Not saying all, but talk to people who went to the 08 game and you will see what I mean. Tennessee and LSU are more obnoxious but they aren't horrible. Auburn fans are a little troublesome
I'm guessing most fan bases have 'those fans' - especially if alcohol is involved...

Heck, the worst fans I've ever seen at Neyland were drunken Bama fans.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
My worst experience when in the Million Dollar Band was with LSU fans. When we pulled up to Tiger Stadium, their fans lined up and rocked our bus back and forth. Police had to come in and stop it.

Florida folks were also pretty awful in 2008.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm guessing most fan bases have 'those fans' - especially if alcohol is involved...

Yeah more or less. Most fans here were whining about tosu fans in New Orleans, but fail to understand that 1. alcohol and 2. tosu had a long history of losing to the SEC and so the combination couldn't be a good one. I sat by an tosu player's family and they were great.

Also I have met more bad Bama fans at games than anyone else except Auburn. Part of it is success and the other is the young vs old divide. Ive actually had more problems with the older since some don't understand that BDS needs to be loud and some of the blanket and nachos fans don't understand people standing up and cheering. Just IMO

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

You have nailed it. I would guess that 99.9% of the crazies after a game are drunk. If you want to drink at a football game, that's fine but don't go on social media or any other forum and act a fool!

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you base your judgement on online presence, I can see that.

When you walk about the campuses and meet the fans, the number of 'bad fans' is astonishingly low. I literally heard not a single cross word from Florida fans towards UT fans this past weekend. Not one. The real world does not mirror the forums, twitter, etc...
This is why I thought 20% seemed high. Although, CNS doesn't do Twitter, forums, Facebook, etc....

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
Come on people. Every one of us on this board could be a "bad fan" from time to time. We are vocal, prideful, excited, HUMAN. Our emotions get the better of us now and then. But branding up to 40% as truly bad fans constantly or most of the time, not buying that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the percentage is immaterial. What is important is that the few have a negative impact on the team and the sport. Heck, they make the rest of us look like raving lunatics because only these nut jobs get air time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If a member of this website posts his/her opinion about the outcome of an Alabama game that is not favorable to the majority of current members is this considered a "bad fan"?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We also have to realize that there are many people out there who are simply bad people, and that number seems to increase yearly. That 20-30% number would probably also apply to most occupations, coaching included, who are bad coaches or salesmen or bankers, etc. I am not a fan who simply agrees with whatever coach does, like bring in thugs or particular coaches who I am embarrassed to represent my university, though. I want us to win and win the right way, but I will support my university and its teams as long as they represent my university with dignity and class. I define that as a good fan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.