JessN: Georgia preview: Bulldogs are masters of efficiency

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Georgia preview: Bulldogs are masters of efficiency
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 30th, 2015 12:20 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 30, 2015 Prior to the season, fans and pundits alike circled the Alabama-Georgia game as one of the potentially more important and most interesting games of the college football season. Nothing has changed. Well, almost nothing. Alabama dropped its third-week game, 43-37 to Ole Miss, which spoiled the aura […]

Read More Here | Projected Depth Chart

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
So it may come down to one key: How many plays can JC make during his first road game, against a quality opponent?

We haven't played particularly well on the road in some time. This would be a great weekend to rediscover our knack of keeping butts in their seats.

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I don't think you really believe that we are going to lose this game. I think you just want us to play the underdog role.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Thanks, as always, for your excellent previews. It's hard to believe that it has already been 7 years since the Blackout Game. For fun, I thought it'd be neat to go back and re-read the 2008 Georgia game preview. Some of the parallels with this year's preview are interesting:

OVERALL

Georgia leads in five categories, Alabama in three. But there are really only two categories where either team holds a big lead – Georgia at quarterback, Alabama on the offensive line.

Alabama leads in a comparison of UA defensive line vs. Georgia offensive line, but Georgia probably holds a slight edge when things are turned around (i.e., UGA DL vs. UA OL), due to the ability of Georgia linemen to get up the field and Alabama’s pass-blocking concerns on the right side of its line.

The matchup that will decide this game is probably Alabama’s Wilson at quarterback against the Georgia secondary. Alabama can’t be as one-dimensional against Georgia as it was against Tulane, Western Kentucky and Arkansas and expect to win. Wilson will probably have to throw 25-30 times, at least, for Alabama to have a chance.

And if Wilson throws 30 times, he needs to complete 20 of them. Twenty completions would be just one fewer than Alabama’s top three wideouts have combined all year so far. Alabama simply has not been good at making things happen 5 or 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

It’s for that reason that a couple of different things are expected in this game. One, Georgia should win. Two, the score for both teams should be lower than expected. Neither team has faced an opponent like the one it will see Saturday. Stafford hasn’t gone against a secondary like Alabama’s, and Alabama hasn’t gone against a front seven like Georgia’s.

The game being in Athens – and with a potential national championship on the line for Georgia – also should tilt the emotional balance Georgia’s way. The operative word there is “should,” because Alabama still has much to play for and Georgia has not shown it can consistently keep its head in big games.

What looked like a blowout win for Georgia in the preseason is now much closer. Alabama will have a shot to win this one late, but for the Crimson Tide to pull it off, Alabama will have to show strengths in areas of its game where it has yet to make a showing in 2008.

Georgia 20
Alabama 17
Full preview is here: http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75929

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Thanks, as always, for your excellent previews. It's hard to believe that it has already been 7 years since the Blackout Game. For fun, I thought it'd be neat to go back and re-read the 2008 Georgia game preview. Some of the parallels with this year's preview are interesting:

Full preview is here: http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75929
Ha! It's like deja vu all over again. (thought it fitting to slip in a Yogi quote this week)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree with everything except which team you think is under more pressure. That is clearly Georgia. They are the team that is undefeated. They are the team at home. They are clearly favored to win this game. They are the team and the coach that still has a giant monkey on their backs. All of the pressure is on Georgia in this game, IMO, and that will greatly effect its outcome.

Sure, you can make the point that with a loss, all championship hopes are dashed for Alabama. And while that provides some pressure, it's nothing like what Georgia is going to feel in this game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Perhaps my memory betrays me, but Jess has always had an elevated respect of the UGA program, at least where making picks are concerned. So, I'm not totally surprised. Also, though -- if you look at the nation as a whole -- college football has become so incredibly difficult to pick games consistently....

Roll Tide!

Check out the records of the CBS "experts" vs the spread.....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/features/writers/expert/picks

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks, Jess. I think this pretty much sums up the matchup. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on Georgia coaching vs. Alabama coaching. Specifically, who is more likely to make successful in-game adjustments? I've been wondering if Pruitt's experience at Bama gives Georgia an advantage in that they know how Saban and Smart like to scheme defensively.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
There is a huge difference between a fair breakdown that doesn't favor us and being an eeyore. Take his ATM breakdown last year for example.
Absolutely. We are a vey good team and have lots of potential, but we knew in the spring that offense was going to be the question mark this year. It actually has done better than I thought it would be and has great potential if all the pieces fall into place. But we are not there yet and I am hoping that it comes together this game or this will be our (I'm not going to say rebuilding because we have the talent) "retooling year".

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thanks, Jess. I think this pretty much sums up the matchup. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on Georgia coaching vs. Alabama coaching. Specifically, who is more likely to make successful in-game adjustments? I've been wondering if Pruitt's experience at Bama gives Georgia an advantage in that they know how Saban and Smart like to scheme defensively.
georgia still has richt at the helm.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
georgia still has richt at the helm.
Ha ha! Richt is good for one 'derp' game per season. Hopefully, this Saturday will be it. In all seriousness though, as closely-matched as these two teams are, if both avoid critical mistakes, this one could come down to in-game adjustments. I'd prefer that it come down (again) to depth and conditioning in the fourth quarter but it might not.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Also - they haven't been tested.....not even a little....

I think when they hand it off to Chubb the first time and he gets 1 or 2 yards....and the first time we deflect a pass at the DL.....reality will start to sink in.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Also - they haven't been tested.....not even a little....

I think when they hand it off to Chubb the first time and he gets 1 or 2 yards....and the first time we deflect a pass at the DL.....reality will start to sink in.
Yep. I really want to see Chubb (and LF) go up against a real front 7. Now, if Chubb and Fournette run through Alabama's defense as easily as they have everyone else's then go ahead and crown them the next Bo and Herschel. I have a feeling that's not going to be the case though. I think the Bama defense will hold both of them, more so Chubb, well below their averages..

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I love the way the talking heads on ESPN, FoxSports, etc keep referencing the stats for the uga offense this year. I mean, come on man, it's Vandy, SCar, ULM and Southern U. Not exactly a juggernaut of defenses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.