Unbelievable Defensive Stat (It's VERY Good)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not to interject negativity, but that stat is deceiving. Yes, you limited big run plays between the tackles. But you had a pretty substantial weakness stopping the run up the middle last year. The runs didn't go for 10+ yards, but they often went for 5-6 yards.

You have corrected that weakness this year, and just in time to shut down Chubb.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not to interject negativity, but that stat is deceiving. Yes, you limited big run plays between the tackles. But you had a pretty substantial weakness stopping the run up the middle last year. The runs didn't go for 10+ yards, but they often went for 5-6 yards.

You have corrected that weakness this year, and just in time to shut down Chubb.
Dang, we do suck!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I can't take credit for this, but a Bama poster from another board stated these stats. they are very impressive.

"Alabama has had more sacks through 4 games than any team we've had since 2009. We are giving up fewer yards per rush than any Bama defense we've had under Saban. We have more passes broken up through 4 games than we have had since 2011 and it is due to over half of those PBUs being balls batted down at the LOS. We have 3 more QB hurries (21) than we have ever had through 4 games (18 in 2009) and in numerous years, 21 was more than we had through 7 weeks. "

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Way to go B1GTide, you had to throw a wet blanket on that stat. :)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can't take credit for this, but a Bama poster from another board stated these stats. they are very impressive.

"Alabama has had more sacks through 4 games than any team we've had since 2009. We are giving up fewer yards per rush than any Bama defense we've had under Saban. We have more passes broken up through 4 games than we have had since 2011 and it is due to over half of those PBUs being balls batted down at the LOS. We have 3 more QB hurries (21) than we have ever had through 4 games (18 in 2009) and in numerous years, 21 was more than we had through 7 weeks. "

I have just been LOVIN' this this year...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd say one of the main reasons to post this stat is not just so how good the defense has been, but to counter the cherry picking of negative stats that we've seen recently. Yes, the run defense isn't perfect, no, the defense isn't perfect, but despite some issues it overall has been very good... and... it still hasn't been determined that any team can run on the 2015 defense.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Agreed. And does that stat include QB runs? I seem to recall both OSU and Auburn burned us several times early in each of those games last year with QB runs between the tackles before we adjusted to take it away.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'd say one of the main reasons to post this stat is not just so how good the defense has been, but to counter the cherry picking of negative stats that we've seen recently. Yes, the run defense isn't perfect, no, the defense isn't perfect, but despite some issues it overall has been very good... and... it still hasn't been determined that any team can run on the 2015 defense.
the eeyore m.o.: cherry pick opponents good stats, cherry pick bamas bad stats, compare the two, shout your worries from the rooftops ;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agreed. And does that stat include QB runs? I seem to recall both OSU and Auburn burned us several times early in each of those games last year with QB runs between the tackles before we adjusted to take it away.
They are considered rushes, so I would assume so.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's a difference between "cherry picking" and recognizing a trend. You can compare stats during intervals of time. You don't have to compare stats from the inception of the game for the stats to be legitimate. The stat posted in the OP is during the same time period of a stat that I saw and posted here. The stat said that Alabama was worse team in FBS in defending 3rd and long since the start of 2014. The exact same time period of the one in the OP. Why is one cherry picking and one considered to be a great stat? Maybe because one shows the defense in a negative light and one doesn't. So maybe the "cherry picking" is just a farce and some folks don't want to hear anything but positives about the team. If that's the case that's fine but don't call everything that you don't like "cherry picking."

Here are a couple responses from the other thread comparing a stat to the exact time frame as the stat in the OP in this thread:

-I like how he's combined it into this season to try and make it relevant.

-Noticed that too. With the right agenda, you can make it say what you want. 2014 is over.

So which one is it? Cherry picking or a good stat?

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The stat is not deceiving, assuming it's accurate. What it is, however, is cherry-picked, as others have noted above, and as such is susceptible to being used to infer, from the part, things about the whole that may not be true.

Every defense has a weakness. We know what ours has been. This stat perhaps provides some insight as to why.

Bearing in mind that the next time I coach a defense will be my first, it seems reasonable to think that the trade-off for being so stout in run defense between the tackles is giving up more mid-range pass plays. Could our defensive philosophy have affected the players' psychology, causing DBs to break onto the QB a fraction early on POP plays? Perhaps being more willing to give up the occasional longer (and rarely game-altering) run, in exchange for lowering the odds of a season-altering POP pass (AU 2013; OM 2015), wouldn't be such a bad deal...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.