Weather Could Play a Factor Saturday

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not much of a comparison between this week and last year's Arkansas game. Unless something drastic happens, we won't be without Ryan Kelly or Kenyan Drake. Let's not act like those two guys weren't missed last year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
we fumbled twice in one game, both of those were on kickoff returns. yes they were very costly fumbles, but i don't think that counts as propensity.
You know I watched a little of the game from last weekend against ULM again last night and I noticed A. Stewart did the same thing in this game that he did in the game against Ole Miss. He takes the kickoff and heads straight for Dillon Lee's block. Except instead of cutting before the block he was hit by Lee again. It looked like the same exact play as the week before, but against ULM he just didn't fumble.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Given our propensity to turn the ball over, a wet field and wet ball probably doesn't do our team any favors. In games where weather plays a factor, ST play becomes really important. I would prefer a nice dry field for our guys.
I concur. We have to over come the tendency to drop slop and give away the football..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If he does he'll be able to kick a 60yrd FG(if he factors in the wind direction right)..That 40yrd FG he made last Saturday with no wind in his back looked like it would've been good from 50yrds+..
AG has the leg, people might be critical of bringing him in to kick against Auburn, but really it was possible for him to make that kick. The issue is just inconsistency, which if you look at his PATs it is something he's relatively capable of. But, Saban tries to go after kids with big legs (not many on college can hit 50+) and I wonder sometimes if that could be part of the issue. Shelley didn't have a strong leg at all, but he made 80% of his kicks, got a look from an NFL team (I think he's playing semi-pro actually), and didn't miss a single kick in 2012.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
The Griffiths will be in the stands wearing crimson, you can be sure. Right now, radio weather predictions are for 40% chance of rain in Athens, 60% in Knoxville, none of which makes sense because Chattanooga -- smack in between -- has 90% chance. Stay tuned. It changes minute by minute.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Let's change the title of the thread. Weather WILL PLAY a factor .... At 5:15, the NOAA outlook for Athens is worsening. I don't mind playing in the rain, but after a point it becomes a joke.

THE RAIN COULD BECOME QUITE HEAVY ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH AND
EASTERN GEORGIA BEGINNING SATURDAY AND CONTINUING INTO SUNDAY.
RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE EAST OF A LINE
FROM CHATSWORTH...TO GAINESVILLE...TO WASHINGTON.

• Saturday

Heavy Rain
    High: 65 °F
  • Saturday
    Night

Heavy Rain
    Low: 58 °F

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What are the chances the game might be cancelled or postponed due to severe weather?
Normally it takes lightning. But if there's a real risk of flash flooding the schools may opt for a more conservative approach. CBS, I'm sure, will be pushing to play the game.

By chance, how many of y'all were in Legion Field for the '83 Auburn game when the funnel cloud blew over the stadium, the rain came in sideways, and the weather got so bad that the band and cheerleaders left?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What are the chances the game might be cancelled or postponed due to severe weather?
If there's no lightning, I'd say pretty slim. That's usually the main factor.

The rain can take the crowd out of it, and also it could encourage a more conservative gameplan from Alabama, which might play into the strength of the team (defense). It does increase the chance of fumbles, falls and that sort of thing, but a wet ball and wind also takes away the deep pass (not exactly Alabama's strength right now anyway).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If there's no lightning, I'd say pretty slim. That's usually the main factor.

The rain can take the crowd out of it, and also it could encourage a more conservative gameplan from Alabama, which might play into the strength of the team "defense". It does increase the chance of fumbles, falls and that sort of thing, but a wet ball and wind also takes away the deep pass (not exactly Alabama's strength right now anyway).
That would also help Bama's defense keep the safeties up in the box.

Some new projections show the hurricane turning east and going out to sea. The weather clearly is hour-to-hour right now.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You know I watched a little of the game from last weekend against ULM again last night and I noticed A. Stewart did the same thing in this game that he did in the game against Ole Miss. He takes the kickoff and heads straight for Dillon Lee's block. Except instead of cutting before the block he was hit by Lee again. It looked like the same exact play as the week before, but against ULM he just didn't fumble.
AS may be a great athlete but he doesn't look like a natural football player. Even when he catches a pass it looks herky jerky..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
People act like we are fumbling the ball often.....

2 Kickoffs, 2 Fumbles.....that's all we've had all year long.....

The RBs and QBs haven't put it on the carpet even once.....

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If it starts raining early and the weather deteriorates throughout the day, I think that whoever scores first and maintains an early lead through the end of the 1st quarter has the best opportunity to win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.