Weather Could Play a Factor Saturday

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
With the weather seemingly heading in a poor direction, I think being judicious with the playcalling is important. You've gotta pass some because they're already likely to pack it in to stop the run, but you've REALLY got to be able to win enough blocks and hope our tailbacks can make the unblocked guys miss (or make the unblocked guy wish he was blocked instead).

It is gonna be a sloppy day field condition wise and we've shown shown some habits towards sloppy execution when the weather is perfect. Can't allow multiplicative properties on that front, lol. A healthy run game where we accept short gains early and often with smart passing opportunities is kinda what I'm hoping for from Kiffin and the offensive unit.
I guess we could get really in depth in terms of breaking down various conditions.

A wet field but dry ball/little wind actually favors a downfield passing game (easier for receivers to make cuts than defenders). Then you get to the extreme where the field is just shot, which gets plain dangerous and it's the type of game that even if you win, you lose (injuries).

What I'm kind of hoping for though, is if it's going to rain anyway, it might as well be bad enough to just take the long pass/kick out of it entirely (wet ball and wind). Those are both risky propositions anyway, I suppose it might as well be that neither side can do it. The other part of that though is that if the field is bad enough, it favors north/south running (hard to make the cuts), and Alabama doesn't seem as good at that as years past.

Either way though, no matter what the conditions are, I think you do need to be able to get passes out quickly and cleanly, and the shorter passes are far less impacted by the conditions. There's just so many variables. On one hand I kind of like the idea of Alabama trying to play a somewhat conservative / disciplined / risk adverse game because of how good the defense is (basically if the other side doesn't screw things up, I think the defense will do their job), but predicting how a team is going to be able to perform in the mud is just such an unknown.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I may be going full gump here, but I know I'm not the only one that sees the elephant head and trunk over east Georgia.

Last edited:

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
But is the wind getting stronger -- 15 mph? If the forecast comes true, that's a strong wind to kick into.

It's been great to see all the paddlers on this thread. We were river paddlers for eight years, my husband an open boater, me a kayaker, until the early 90s when we moved to sailboats. We still have sea kayaks. That's why I said I was a semi-retired kayaker. Think about a sailboat, 92tide.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But is the wind getting stronger -- 15 mph? If the forecast comes true, that's a strong wind to kick into.

It's been great to see all the paddlers on this thread. We were river paddlers for eight years, my husband an open boater, me a kayaker, until the early 90s when we moved to sailboats. We still have sea kayaks. That's why I said I was a semi-retired kayaker. Think about a sailboat, 92tide.
i have always had a dream of learning to sail and hopefully one day will do that. did y'all by any chance know jim fortune? i knew him from mtn bike and paddling circles (n.o.c.) long ago. he was in chattanooga and worked part time at rock creek (he was an engineer iirc). the last time i saw him was around 97-98

if the rain is not torrential, i think wind will have a bigger impact

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess we could get really in depth in terms of breaking down various conditions.

A wet field but dry ball/little wind actually favors a downfield passing game (easier for receivers to make cuts than defenders). Then you get to the extreme where the field is just shot, which gets plain dangerous and it's the type of game that even if you win, you lose (injuries).

What I'm kind of hoping for though, is if it's going to rain anyway, it might as well be bad enough to just take the long pass/kick out of it entirely (wet ball and wind). Those are both risky propositions anyway, I suppose it might as well be that neither side can do it. The other part of that though is that if the field is bad enough, it favors north/south running (hard to make the cuts), and Alabama doesn't seem as good at that as years past.

Either way though, no matter what the conditions are, I think you do need to be able to get passes out quickly and cleanly, and the shorter passes are far less impacted by the conditions. There's just so many variables. On one hand I kind of like the idea of Alabama trying to play a somewhat conservative / disciplined / risk adverse game because of how good the defense is (basically if the other side doesn't screw things up, I think the defense will do their job), but predicting how a team is going to be able to perform in the mud is just such an unknown.
That is the crux of how I feel this offense should be: we have a good defensive front with an improving secondary by the week, we should be a bit more risk adverse than we have been through the first four games. I think a 2008-like offense might fit this team better than what we've seemed to install in Fall camp. Of course, it is entirely possible to adjust the offensive approach within the general installation for the season.

The situation condition-wise that really hurts things is high wind and/or sloppy field. You got to think that an SEC stadium will have pretty good drainage and not turn into a mud bowl like that LSU-PSU bowl game a few years ago.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wondering if Alabama has a "bad" field for practices leading up to games like this. Anyone know?

We had one at my high school, but that was a long time ago and I have never heard of it at the college level.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wondering if Alabama has a "bad" field for practices leading up to games like this. Anyone know?

We had one at my high school, but that was a long time ago and I have never heard of it at the college level.
Nope. When it rains, the team practices indoors. UGA doesn't have an indoor facility, though. That might help them.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I may be going full gump here, but I know I'm not the only one that sees the elephant head and trunk over east Georgia.

What is the source of that photo? If that is real, that is absolutely incredible. I mean, a red elephant with a trunk that reaches into Georgia on the very weekend Bama plays Georgia.

/mind blown

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nope. When it rains, the team practices indoors. UGA doesn't have an indoor facility, though. That might help them.
Really? Alabama has only practiced indoors this week, on turf instead of grass and in dry conditions instead of the rain? That seems crazy.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Really? Alabama has only practiced indoors this week, on turf instead of grass and in dry conditions instead of the rain? That seems crazy.
I assume the main reason for this is to avoid injuries. I would hope they've made some sort of preparations in terms of what the conditions might be though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.