Link: Is Georgia Football Caught Between Winning and Winning Right?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Draw a 350-mile circle around this idyllic college town, and within it you’ll find seven college football programs that have won a combined 14 national titles since the last time the Georgia Bulldogs reached the pinnacle in 1980.

Florida and Florida State have done it with two different head coaches. Clemson and Auburn have had turns at the top, the latter winning with a quarterback who grew up in Georgia’s back yard. Tennessee’s championship in 1998 was the culmination of a decade-long domination over Georgia, and Alabama has become college football’s preeminent program over the last decade, directly denying the Bulldogs a chance at the 2012 BCS championship game. Even Georgia Tech, with far fewer resources and a significantly smaller fan base, has a shared title as recently as 1990.

Given the success of its regional rivals, Georgia’s inability to win a national championship or even play for one over the past 35 years has become a source of great frustration within the state, which ranked behind only Florida in producing players that were drafted into the NFL this year. Games like Saturday, when No. 6 Georgia hosts No. 13 Alabama, are annually viewed as crucial for Mark Richt, who operates under a continual referendum on whether he can deliver a title even in his 15th year as head coach.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I do think UGA and Richt try harder than most to hold players accountable. It's got to be painful to see players you dismissed for behavioral issues help a rival team in your own conference become stronger.

Those same domestically challenged players will go to tOSU and Michigan now with the SEC policy.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
But CMR is a good man.

Their fans..................well, '92 will have something to say about them. (I can feel it in my bones!)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that is some grade a whining on behalf of georgia. so what about marshall, mettenberger and taylor. its not that georgia's roster is being depleted of talent because of their "tough stances". georgia year in and year out has superstar players and a bunch of other really good ones surrounding them that make it to the field, yet somehow, they never put a championship program together.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I agree with 92. Yes, they've kicked guys off the team, but they've fielded tremendous talent over the years. No excuses, really.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I agree with 92. Yes, they've kicked guys off the team, but they've fielded tremendous talent over the years. No excuses, really
I never understood why Spurrier always had his number, even while at USCe. And of course UF or always 1 team he had no business losing too.

Richt will throw a kid out while Saban will sit him until he either does the right thing or continues to mess up. That's much more than letting a player become bigger than the team. Duke at aubren or team votes at other places to decide difficult decisions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the premise behind all of the whining in the article is that all of those other school's success and national championships came from schools "selling their souls to the devil" for success. outside of auburn, none of those teams sold their souls. they all built strong, championship programs.

note: this is understanding that phil fulmer is soulless, but they had a strong program in the 90s

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Georgia hasn't kicked off any more players than any other "big time" program. There is nothing special about their program.. nothing "holy."

I met a Georgia couple this past weekend. Really nice folks and all, but they were all in on the Richt good guy act. I'd actually never heard it in person, only seen it online. The thing is, far all the hype about Richt being such a good guy, his teams are routinely some of the least disciplined teams in the country. And that is the main reason they always underachieve.

I hope he coaches at Georgia another 15 years, at least.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
One trait that's been missing in Richt's football program, that Coach Saban has preached to his "Player's" here at Bama, from the day he took over our Football Program & that's to "Finish"..Richt has never been able to "Finish" a season & win a NC at Georgia..He won't do it this year cause we will beat them Saturday & all they're doing is preparing for another funeral..

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Georgia has been both talented enough and well enough coached to win a couple of championships under Richt. What they have lacked in those seasons is the luck required to carry them over the top. You need only go back to 2012 for the last time they were good enough and just came up short against Alabama. They would have curb stomped ND.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Georgia hasn't kicked off any more players than any other "big time" program. There is nothing special about their program.. nothing "holy."

I met a Georgia couple this past weekend. Really nice folks and all, but they were all in on the Richt good guy act. I'd actually never heard it in person, only seen it online. The thing is, far all the hype about Richt being such a good guy, his teams are routinely some of the least disciplined teams in the country. And that is the main reason they always underachieve.

I hope he coaches at Georgia another 15 years, at least.
its really sort of nauseating isn't it. my favorite response is that a good man wouldn't continue to take that much money for such consistently mediocre performance.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
its really sort of nauseating isn't it. my favorite response is that a good man wouldn't continue to take that much money for such mediocre performance.
At least they are not as bas a Notre Dame. These are GA fans making excuses for their team, just like any other fan base. At ND even the coaches got involved, claiming that they couldn't win because of the higher standards that the school administration held them to (both academically and behaviorally).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
At least they are not as bas a Notre Dame. These are GA fans making excuses for their team, just like any other fan base. At ND even the coaches got involved, claiming that they couldn't win because of the higher standards that the school administration held them to (both academically and behaviorally).
probably not, but if you lived amongst them for a few years, you may start seeing notre dame as quaint and quirky in comparison ;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
probably not, but if you lived amongst them for a few years, you may start seeing notre dame as quaint and quirky in comparison ;)

The only championship Georgia consistently challenges for is the Fulmer Cup.

For the record, Richt only started throwing players off the team with any regularity in the last few years. Winning right? The notion should be laughed off the stage given how the fans trash their own campus.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only championship Georgia consistently challenges for is the Fulmer Cup.

For the record, Richt only started throwing players off the team with any regularity in the last few years. Winning right? The notion should be laughed off the stage given how the fans trash their own campus.
they trashed our campus pretty bad in 2007.

st. simons island is cracking down on the partying that goes on for the ga-fla game and the whining about it is epic. apparently, they trash the island every year.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
It may not be apparent but you always win if you do the right thing.
That said, a few players should not make a difference when you have the talent and coaching that Georgia does. We all look for reasons or excuses when we do not achieve what we wish.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
“Do I like losing? Hell no, I want to win every one,” said Dink NeSmith, president of Athens-based Community Newspapers, Inc., and a former Board of Regents chairman. “But I’m not willing to sell my soul to the devil just to say we won. There’s a certain pride, without being condescending, where we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Well, at least he's not condescending...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
“Do I like losing? Hell no, I want to win every one,” said Dink NeSmith, president of Athens-based Community Newspapers, Inc., and a former Board of Regents chairman. “But I’m not willing to sell my soul to the devil just to say we won. There’s a certain pride, without being condescending, where we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Well, at least he's not condescending...

Maybe he doesn't know what condescending means?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.