another school shooting tragedy, Umpqua Community College Oregon

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
All of these back and forth arguments are missing the real issue. These mass shootings get all the press but the real problem is the day to day shootings in the cities. There are shootings nearly every night in certain areas of Baltimore and other older cities. Just because some nut legally buys a bunch of guns and shoots up a college campus, it has little to do with the daily firearm carnage going on all over this country. From Wiki:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms (excluding BB and pellet guns) were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention).
Sensible gun control measures is not a cure-all but can go a long way towards beginning to curb future gun violence.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Ah - well I don't watch CNN. It's been nothing but a gay rights network since 2009. Nothing wrong with that - just don't pretend one is a journalist if he or she works for CNN.

Come to think of it - I'm not sure there ARE any journalists left. Fox slants right (except for Shepherd Smith) and everyone else slants left.

And btw - NONE of the folks have the high visibility of our President, who has made this a hobby horse while ignoring the fact his own city has strict gun control laws and more people getting shots than at an STD clinic.

So yeah, since I reject the inanity of the talking point of 'gun free zone' (as I said, I actually think it's because there's more people there although one can be more certain of no retaliation in a school classroom than in a theater), we probably do agree mostly on this issue.
Definitely agree.

I'll say this, though. Among 24 hours news networks, Al Jazeera America is actually a pretty dang good news network.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
All of these back and forth arguments are missing the real issue. These mass shootings get all the press but the real problem is the day to day shootings in the cities. There are shootings nearly every night in certain areas of Baltimore and other older cities. Just because some nut legally buys a bunch of guns and shoots up a college campus, it has little to do with the daily firearm carnage going on all over this country. From Wiki:

Sensible gun control measures is not a cure-all but can go a long way towards beginning to curb future gun violence.
Any specifics? Not flaming or arguing, just curious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
All of these back and forth arguments are missing the real issue. These mass shootings get all the press but the real problem is the day to day shootings in the cities. There are shootings nearly every night in certain areas of Baltimore and other older cities. Just because some nut legally buys a bunch of guns and shoots up a college campus, it has little to do with the daily firearm carnage going on all over this country.
Well excuse me, but......

Gov. Martin O'Malley has signed a gun-control measure to give Maryland some of the nation's tightest gun laws and the National Rifle Association says it plans to challenge the law in court.

Part of the law requires people to submit fingerprints to the state police to get a license to buy a handgun.

O'Malley says states with similar laws have substantially lower gun death rates than states that do not

The other states include New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Hawaii.

Opponents are backing the NRA's plans to file a lawsuit.

O'Malley is a Democrat and proposed the bill in response to the December shooting in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.

The measure bans 45 types of assault weapons and gun magazines will be limited to 10 bullets.

How well is it working?

There were 43 homicides in May (2015), the most in any month since December 1971—when the city was almost one-third bigger than it is today. According to numbers compiled by the Baltimore Sun and the FBI, the average number of monthly murders in May from 2009 to 2014 was 21.

Yep - sensible gun control is working in Maryland and let's hope he doesn't try to do 'for America, what I did for Maryland.'

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

My only question is, what will be the other consequences of "sensible" gun control and will those consequences be worth simply "beginning" to curb gun violence?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Any specifics? Not flaming or arguing, just curious.
OK, off the top of my head:
Must be done on a national level
Mandatory background checks on ALL gun purchases or gifting. (a multi year license could be issued to eliminate redundant background checks)
Tougher sentencing for gun related violence or noncompliance to rules
Registration of all guns. We do it for cars, we can certainly do it for guns.
These are specifically aimed at hand guns because that is where the real problem is.
Issuance of free anti-paranoia pills to those needing it after rules are enacted
I may have missed something but that is what comes to me right now

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Mandatory background checks on ALL gun purchases or gifting. (a multi year license could be issued to eliminate redundant background checks)
These are specifically aimed at hand guns because that is where the real problem is.
Issuance of free anti-paranoia pills to those needing it after rules are enacted
Would any of these have prevented the recent murders in Oregon?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well it is going to happen. Rest assured. This president wants it, and Congress is gutless to stop it.

But I will promise you this: senseless calamity and tragedy will continue unabated because control of the object does nothing to address the real issue. A depraved, corrupt society with upside down morality. And while I am a Christian, I am not speaking from that perspective. As best I can, I'm trying to be completely unbiased from a religious point of view here. But our society no longer values human life like it once did. We are far to quick to dismiss and ignore as long as we can just have our Internet and stupid tv shows. So people who are mentally broken don't get the attention they need.

No I don't have a solution. I just hope that the gun control that eventually comes from all this does not leave me unarmed and unable to protect my family from the evil that will continue to exist and thrive despite whatever political measures are taken.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Should the only criterion for effective gun control measures be "Would they have prevented [most recent killing spree]"?
If you're going to exploit it to pass something even the President - an Ivy League brainwashed empty suit - knows won't prevent even ONE murder then it's reasonable to expect it REALLY is in response to what is being exploited. It will not prevent even one mass shooting.

And even he has to know that.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Always the sticking point - with an estimated 300 million unregistered guns already in circulation, Pandora's Box is already wide open.
Honest question. What is the difference between getting a license and registration?

For me, it's the government knowing who can own a gun and what exactly the gun owner has. I'm not comfortable having a pervasive controlling authority over stepping its bounds again. A license for gun ownership is a good sensible gun control.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a related story, we cannot require ID to vote but we can for.......everything else.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Honest question. What is the difference between getting a license and registration?

For me, it's the government knowing who can own a gun and what exactly the gun owner has. I'm not comfortable having a pervasive controlling authority over stepping its bounds again. A license for gun ownership is a good sensible gun control.
We already have such a license, it's called the 2nd Amendment.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A car is nothing like a gun. You don't have a right to drive a car on the road. You do have a right to bear arms. For you science guys the science is clear. More guns equals less crime. Areas with more gun control have higher crime rates. And why enact a law if it will not stop the events it is intended to stop. I mean other than control of the populous.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.