another school shooting tragedy, Umpqua Community College Oregon

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You think it would have helped here? I do

and of course I'd never advocate rounding anyone up, but a kid who gets put in special schools because he lashes out violently? I personally don't feel he should get access to firearms

and I'd like it if we could as a country provide for people with mental illness perhaps we can keep some of these people from snapping
I think you need to educated yourself.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Source the bolded claim, please.

And no, the science is not clear. Several other methodologically valid studies have contradicted the Lott paper.
And yet several others support his conclusions, but let's not make this about John Lott. Lott says he began his research thinking just the opposite of what his results told him. The subject is not Lott or even exclusively his research.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
And yet several others support his conclusions
And several others do not. Therefore, the science is not "clear."

...but let's not make this about John Lott. Lott says he began his research thinking just the opposite of what his results told him. The subject is not Lott or even exclusively his research.
Lott's work has been used to shape policy.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
​Because having all the crazy people walking around free and trusting them to self-medicate is a much better idea.
I'm going to say this and try to walk away. Kids with behavioral problems aren't necessarily crazy. There are plenty who go through a difficult time and with help get back on track. And many people - including probably half or more on here would have no gun rights if they had gotten caught doing half the stupid stuff they did as kids/young adults. People with autism are no more crazy than any other population. Each is unique, just like the rest of us. Autism is not a psychiatric illness. Never has been. Never will be. If you don't understand this then it shows your own ignorance. It appears though that arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Nobody disagrees with this basic point.

It's the next step where everything gets fuzzy.

I'm willing to bet every single person here has probably always agreed with that bottom line.
Not true at all. The paranoid gun nuts including NRA officials are worried the "libtards" are after their guns and registration is the roadmap to get there.. Thats the main reason nothing ever gets done. Even universal background checks are opposed.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Not true at all. The paranoid gun nuts including NRA officials are worried the "libtards" are after their guns and registration is the roadmap to get there.. Thats the main reason nothing ever gets done. Even universal background checks are opposed.
Not that governments in the past have ever used registration to confiscate guns.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How about a national database of mental disabilities that includes people on the Autism Spectrum or people that were required to be in special schools for behavioral issues? Make these people ineligible to purchase a firearm. This kid in Oregon would have failed on both
You do realize that is a cloudy argument because there are numerous people without diagnosed disabilities in those schools. For example, when integration happened in schools there was an alarming number of African American students suddenly enrolled in special education. It also doesn't always require a physician to enroll these individuals in schools.

Also most in most of these shootings, it's usually implied after the fact that they probably had mental illness. Look at Dylan klebold, the Littleton shooter, the uni bomber, Dennis rader, and many others. Mental illness diagnosis and gun control are not cut and dry as many people seem to think

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You do realize that is a cloudy argument because there are numerous people without diagnosed disabilities in those schools. For example, when integration happened in schools there was an alarming number of African American students suddenly enrolled in special education. It also doesn't always require a physician to enroll these individuals in schools.

Also most in most of these shootings, it's usually implied after the fact that they probably had mental illness. Look at Dylan klebold, the Littleton shooter, the uni bomber, Dennis rader, and many others. Mental illness diagnosis and gun control are not cut and dry as many people seem to think
I was a little buzzed when I posted that last night so I'll pull it back. I do think it's worth having a conversation about. this country has pathetic mental health services and we clearly need to do something.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I'm going to say this and try to walk away. Kids with behavioral problems aren't necessarily crazy. There are plenty who go through a difficult time and with help get back on track. And many people - including probably half or more on here would have no gun rights if they had gotten caught doing half the stupid stuff they did as kids/young adults. People with autism are no more crazy than any other population. Each is unique, just like the rest of us. Autism is not a psychiatric illness. Never has been. Never will be. If you don't understand this then it shows your own ignorance. It appears though that arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.
Yeah, it's probably best that you walk away before you say something that I'm able to understand.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was a little buzzed when I posted that last night so I'll pull it back. I do think it's worth having a conversation about. this country has pathetic mental health services and we clearly need to do something.
I can agree to that point.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
When gun control fanatics beat the drum for more controls after such an event using the horror of the event to stir up knee-jerk emotions, then yes, the criterion you referenced is really the only one that should be considered.
Why? Because it makes it so much easier to dismiss any and all suggestions? "WOULD IT HAVE STOPPED [INSERT SHOOTING DU JOUR]? NO? THEN SHUT UP."

How convenient.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Why? Because it makes it so much easier to dismiss any and all suggestions? "WOULD IT HAVE STOPPED [INSERT SHOOTING DU JOUR]? NO? THEN SHUT UP."

How convenient.
If the suggestions will have no impact on what horrifies people, then why take the placebo? Just so you can feel like you're doing something?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
If the suggestions will have no impact on what horrifies people, then why take the placebo? Just so you can feel like you're doing something?
Please. It's only a placebo because of your reductive definition. If outrage over mass shooting gets people to take a look at gun laws and say--here's something that might help--whether it's new laws or better enforcement of existing laws or better screening for mental health problems--that's a step in the right direction.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Please. It's only a placebo because of your reductive definition. If outrage over mass shooting gets people to take a look at gun laws and say--here's something that might help--whether it's new laws or better enforcement of existing laws or better screening for mental health problems--that's a step in the right direction.
If you believe in freedom, no, none of those things are a step in the right direction at all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.