another school shooting tragedy, Umpqua Community College Oregon

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If outrage over mass shooting gets people to take a look at gun laws and say--here's something that might help--whether it's new laws or better enforcement of existing laws or better screening for mental health problems--that's a step in the right direction.
The problem is - despite the media coverage - gun violence is down massively over the last 20 years.

People are outraged over 'mass shootings', yet nearly every weekend, ~50 people are shot and about 5-10 of those die in a city with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US (Chicago). I don't hear a lot of outrage about that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem is - despite the media coverage - gun violence is down massively over the last 20 years.

People are outraged over 'mass shootings', yet nearly every weekend, ~50 people are shot and about 5-10 of those die in a city with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US (Chicago). I don't hear a lot of outrage about that.
that's also because when its brought up the anti gun side puts the blame on illegal trafficking in Missouri. Honestly, people think more restrictions are going to solve the problem. Like I said earlier, the Aussies banned guns, and found that gangs and bad people were legally ordering katanas and other Asian swords to chop away at people. You can argue that guns have a larger volume of deaths in a single area than swords, but you still have the disturbed people adapting to the environment. If you do away with guns I think the notorious serial killers reemerge personally, so maybe the question should be when did I feel safer?? When Bundy and Dalhmer were on the loose or when school shootings happen every now and then? Bottom line is you are not going to cure a warped mind that has decided to act upon their fantasy by making harsh restrictions:you can only try to identify and deter them before they act upon them. And I don't see taking away guns a deterrent

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
And again with the reductive argumentation.
I know I'm repeating myself, but having a constitutionally protected right makes it difficult if not impossible to do anything without infringing that right. The only logical solution is to repeal or amend those sections of the constitution that bind you. While I won't support you with my voice, money, or vote, I will applaud you if you decide to lead an effort to change gun rights the right way.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
"If guns cause crime mine is defective."

One more time: guns are not the problem, those who wish to cause harm will find a way. Guns are a deterrent to crime when in the hands of those who have the right intentions. Outlawing guns from law abiding citizens makes no more sense than taking cars from citizens who do not drink and drive to stop needless deaths caused by drunk drivers.

The whole argument on gun control is a political tool. If politicians' hearts were in the right place on this they would give more power and help to families of those with mental deficiencies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

A lot of it is black/poor on black/poor and is "normal" day to day (not newsworthy) rather than an exceptional event (newsworthy), The daily events are the ones that would be most effected by better national laws.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Gun murders have declined roughly 50% since 1993 yet the number of guns in the United States has increased dramatically (roughly double since 1968).

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Good article even though I don't support the policies it ultimately espouses. At least it's honest about what it would take to make a meaningful impact on gun deaths. Everything else is essentially window dressing.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/5/9454161/gun-violence-solution

Perhaps the single most supported contention in all of gun research is that more guns mean more gun deaths. The US doesn't just have a gun violence problem because of its lax gun regulation. It has a problem because it has a culture that encourages large-scale gun possession, and other countries do not. That, combined with Australia's experience, makes large-scale confiscation look like easily the most promising approach for bringing US gun homicides down to European rates.

Large-scale confiscation is not going to happen. That's no reason to stop advocating it. (I also want to
repeal all immigration laws and give everyone a monthly check from the government with no strings attached, and will argue for those ideas even though they're doomed.) But it does mean that we should be realistic about what gun control with an actual shot of passage can achieve. It can make us safer. It cannot make us Europe.
As a note, the author discusses suicide-by-gun and reducing such deaths. Personally, I don't think this is a problem worth society's attention. If people want to off themselves, let 'em have at it.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
and that it's very easy for the problem people to get their hands on gun
Please explain the law you would pass where this guy wouldn't have been able to get a gun. As far as I know he didn't have a criminal record or wasn't diagnosed with any mental illness.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.