Danny and Joey from espn picks Bama to beat Georgia

WiliestBuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
Honestly, ESPN does this stuff all the time, OSU's Danny would probably be Mark May. Every announcer has their biases, but they know they can't pick against the Alabama's of the world in every game without losing all credibility towards the general public. They could be characters, or they could just be guys with an axe to grind that the network purposefully has cover said teams. Either way their extreme biases drains their entire credibility as so called "experts", and their opinions should always be ignored.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide
Even though I don't like Galloway because he does not hide his love for OSU, he is a competent commentator.
If you are talking about as a color analyst, I agree 100%. He does his research and is well prepared. But I do not like the work that he has done on these shows. And I just can't watch Kanell, so I'll never see him on Final.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly, ESPN does this stuff all the time, OSU's Danny would probably be Mark May. Every announcer has their biases, but they know they can't pick against the Alabama's of the world in every game without losing all credibility towards the general public. They could be characters, or they could just be guys with an axe to grind that the network purposefully has cover said teams. Either way their extreme biases drains their entire credibility as so called "experts", and their opinions should always be ignored.
May was biased, but not in an offensive way. He preferred teams that won the LOS, and he loved Pitt. Other than that, he gave everyone a fair shake (except Holtz, and anyone that Holtz liked :wink:).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just so I understand the (uh) 'logic' involved......

If Joey and Danny pick AGAINST us, it's because they're Tide haters, not because they actually think the other team will win.

If they pick FOR us, it's NOT because they actually think we're the better team but it's to help their own teams out.

Did I miss anything in that merry-go-round of partisan logic?

(I'm dealing with folks who make Oliver Stone look normal).
I think many people tend to favor the wrestling fan logic in which they are oblivious to the heel turned goodguy or visa versa character change dynamic,and they live on the actions of the characters at that moment. but are entertained either way whether it be positive or negative. Finebaum and bayless exploited this concept in fans and are probably the best at doing it. But where they differ from Danny and Joey is that they know how to avoid going to far to one side .

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
We all act in our own self-interest, so it certainly seems plausible, but you are giving them a lot of credit. You think that are capable of looking that far forward?
Actually I do think they are looking at the long run when the season is over and possibilities of more than 4 undefeated power 5 teams. Trust me I'm not giving them any credit just my own theory.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They both picked Ole Miss to beat us. I'm not saying they're smarter than the average bear but they did get that one right.
Unless they said that you would dominate the game but still lose because of 5 turnovers, they didn't get anything right.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Just so I understand the (uh) 'logic' involved......

If Joey and Danny pick AGAINST us, it's because they're Tide haters, not because they actually think the other team will win.

If they pick FOR us, it's NOT because they actually think we're the better team but it's to help their own teams out.

Did I miss anything in that merry-go-round of partisan logic?

(I'm dealing with folks who make Oliver Stone look normal).
Darnit, Selma... I have my conspiracies and my own biases... I am clinging to them. Don't take the fun out of this ;-)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Galloway also put his alma mater on upset alert this week as they play Indiana.

I would like to take this moment and swallow my pride and give Robert Smith serious props for calling that Texas tech versus TCU game last week. I want to think he said last Tuesday that Tech would win. It took an improbable play for them not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he was playing off the fact that TCU hadn't won in Lubbock since 1991.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If you are talking about as a color analyst, I agree 100%. He does his research and is well prepared. But I do not like the work that he has done on these shows. And I just can't watch Kanell, so I'll never see him on Final.
I can handle Galloway. Kanell is an idiot on steroids.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A Tennessee fan I talked to at a sushi bar in Nashville the other day picked us to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's take a look back at the time Kirk Herbstreit - who most folks here consider quite rational and pretty good - predicted Auburn to win the West in 2010. This was NOT a Colin Cowherd hype bit, it was from a pretty decent guy at presenting his position logically.

================

1)

I always like to hear Herbie's take on the CFB landscape, and tend to think he is on point with most of his picks, but he seriously needs to put the koolaid down.

Sounds a little like ESPN's Chris Low last year when he said Ol Miss was gonna run away with the west. We all know how that one turned out..

2) I may be in the minority here, but I am growing tired of Herbie. I used to like him a lot, and he does provide some insightful commentary, but he is just another talking head to me now.

He knows this is a controversial pick that will generate lots of chatter (of which I am contributing to) across the internet and talk radio. Wouldn't surprise me if he put this out there as a 'talking point' for the next time he appears on Finebaum.

3) The Smith guy on ESPN college football picked the barn to be #3 in the NATION! when I saw the program this morning.

(Yeah, that Smith guy was incredibly wrong since they were number one....)

4)
OH AND SPEAKING OF PARANOIA.....

I like Herby, but remember his roots??? OSU right? Who's the popular pick to challenge Bama in the BCSNCG??? IMO, Herbry's pick of the Barn to the win the SEC West is just wishful/hopeful thinking because he knows the easiest way his Buckeyes get the NC is not having to go through Bama

SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE???? "Wha wha, they only say this because it helps their favorites, wha wha!!

5) From a poster no longer with us:

You don't think Herbstreit's pick of Auburn over Alabama has anything to do with the fact that Herbstreit is an Ohio State guy, do you?

Herbstreit's picking Auburn to win the West this year is like a Nazi officer saying that Italy is going to beat the United States in World War II.

6) I think Herbie went way out on a limb on this one. Maybe Cam Newton stole his laptop and put some kind of virus on it. I'm predicting Auburn to lose their 1st game on September 9.

7) I agree with several posts above that KH's comments are ratings driven. I have heard numerous barn fans complaining that ESPN has become the Bama Football Network with the spring game, All-Access, etc. He is simply throwing a bone to jilted SEC fans. (sound familliar?)

8) I think Herby is just poking for the ratings.

9) Kirk is generally a pretty level-headed guy, and by-and-large I respect his commentary. He's a well-connected man who I think has a pretty good handle on the college football landscape from year to year.

That being said, I think this is just some good old-fashioned pot stirring. It's a key component of good journalism. Controversy sells, and every network on the planet does it. Kirk is just doing his job

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.