Calvin Ridley & Amari Cooper Comparisons

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He is looking like he might be the next one. His hands are starting to remind me of Coop just a bit. Its a lot to live up to but if he continues going to get the ball with his hands and making the other teams best corner look bad. Well we will see.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I still think it's too soon... Teams are going to start double teaming him.. and when that happens, and Ridley continues to shock us with his performances, then maybe we can talk about this. That's just me.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I still think it's too soon... Teams are going to start double teaming him.. and when that happens, and Ridley continues to shock us with his performances, then maybe we can talk about this. That's just me.
I am not saying Freshmen Ridley is as good as sophomore or junior Cooper but Freshman to Freshman its awful close right now.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am not saying Freshmen Ridley is as good as sophomore or junior Cooper but Freshman to Freshman its awful close right now.
I see both sides of the opinion. I find it hard to judge anyone against Cooper throwing out his work ethic and improvement year to year, which is what made him so great. You can do it, but it's painful to me because most players do not improve the way Cooper and Eddie Lacy did. But yes, Ridley has the fluidity and body control that resembles Cooper. When I first saw Cooper I thought of David Palmer, who I still believe is hands down the most fluid elusive player that we have every had. He was just too small for the NFL. Ridley has superstar potential.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Ridley now has 45 catches for 525 yards and 3 TDs, will probably end up with some pretty big numbers by years end.
If we were to run the table all the way to the championship game, thats 7 more games, Ridley could have better freshman stats than Cooper if he finishes the season strong.

It is kind of uncanny that Cooper and Ridley are both from roughly the same area of Florida and both are pretty similar in height and weight, now Ridley looks like he's taking Cooper's place as the new star receiver for Alabama.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I felt so bad for Foster when we learned he was out for the season. It's great to see Ridley perform like he has. Along with Mullaney, though, we need to have another WR or two step up. Stewart seems to be scuffling a little right now. Perhaps Sims or Black can assert themselves.
This is an old thread, but we lose tonight without a miracle catch by Adarius. A couple of more of those and teams are going to have a hard time deciding who to double...

Maybe the play of Stewart can counter act that some, I hope so. We have a collection of young studs that are exciting to watch.
Other than that INT Coker play pretty good, especially in the second half. We can't have the slow starts anymore though. We have way too much talent not to be throwing downfield.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Other than that INT Coker play pretty good, especially in the second half. We can't have the slow starts anymore though. We have way too much talent not to be throwing downfield.

As GD said, they were taking that away. The problem was that we were not taking advantage, until late, what that automatically gave us. I don't really blame the one INT solely on #14. That was an outstanding scoop by the DB. That kind of crap happens...

As GD said, they were taking that away. The problem was that we were not taking advantage, until late, what that automatically gave us. I don't really blame the one INT solely on #14. That was an outstanding scoop by the DB. That kind of crap happens...
It was a good play. I initially thought he dropped it. I'm glad they recognized what would work. When LSU comes calling we will need something like that a lot sooner. I see though, that Calvin can possibly still get his which is good for the other receivers.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Certainly, as illustrated by the onscreen comparisons of Julio, Amari, and Calvin. Enough of he can't compare yet. I believe he was ahead of the other two.
How fortunate we are.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It was a good play. I initially thought he dropped it. I'm glad they recognized what would work. When LSU comes calling we will need something like that a lot sooner. I see though, that Calvin can possibly still get his which is good for the other receivers.

I sure hope we can get the ball to Calvin against LSU. If (big if) there was one blemish in Cooper's career, he never played well against LSU.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

We just aren't getting the protection from the offensive line for down field throws.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Cooper also had a more experienced/better corps of recievers during his run at Alabama. Norwood, C Jones, D White, K Bell were probably better options to make doubling him more likley to cost a defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.