Calvin Ridley & Amari Cooper Comparisons

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Edit Math

December 20, 1994, so he is 21, so he will turn 22 next season. He'll draft out at 23 years old.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Red shirt sophomores are draft eligible. Winston and Manziel were both red shirt sophomores when they went to the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it would be after their red shirt sophomore year. So we would have them play that red shirt sophomore year.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Actually it would be after their red shirt sophomore year. So we would have them play that red shirt sophomore year.
Have we had one under coach Saban? Most of our players that left after their Junior year played as freshman. I cannot think of a redshirt sophomore leaving Bama, ever. But I could be wrong.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Have we had one under coach Saban? Most of our players that left after their Junior year played as freshman. I cannot think of a redshirt sophomore leaving Bama, ever. But I could be wrong.
I think you are right we normally play those type of players if there is a chance they may leave after just 3 years on campus.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Adrian Hubbard was the only redshirt player with eligibility left. And he left as RS junior.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think you are right we normally play those type of players if there is a chance they may leave after just 3 years on campus.
Henry is a great example - everyone knew that he was a 3 year player so he got some time on the field as a true freshman. Also look at Cyrus Kouandjio. Cam Robinson is among the next group gone after 3 years.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
How in the world can a true freshman be 21 (turned 21 in December according to my math if that DOB is correct)?
He may have started school late and with his birthday being when it is caused him to be old for his grade. Some parents hold their kids out of school or back for athletic purposes or even maturity issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
How in the world can a true freshman be 21 (turned 21 in December according to my math if that DOB is correct)?
Held back in school a year or two along with a late birthday. A new craze in TX is putting your kid in select leagues at age 4 and then listen to the coaches tell you your kid has talent, you should put them in Kindergarden 2 years so they are a year older when they get to HS. "They'd have a physical/maturity advantage being 19 their Sr year."

I have neighbors who spend at least $10k a year on select soccer. Say it's a scholarship for their kid.... Willing to bet if you just took that money and saved it, college is more than paid for.....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Held back in school a year or two along with a late birthday. A new craze in TX is putting your kid in select leagues at age 4 and then listen to the coaches tell you your kid has talent, you should put them in Kindergarden 2 years so they are a year older when they get to HS. "They'd have a physical/maturity advantage being 19 their Sr year."

I have neighbors who spend at least $10k a year on select soccer. Say it's a scholarship for their kid.... Willing to bet if you just took that money and saved it, college is more than paid for.....
I turned 18 in march of the year I graduated and it made a huge impact in sports, I was the top end of my class but would have fallen below many the class ahead of me. Does not seem significant, but it sure was for me, especially 7th through 10th grades

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Forgetting about the stat comparisons for a minute and just using the "eye test"

Cooper and Ridley do share some similarities.
Neither of them are the big physical freaks like Julio was, it's more the speed, moves and natural instincts for playing WR that makes them special.
Both came out of high school at about 6'1" 190 and from the same general area in Florida.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well I have a birthday in August so I turned 18 right at the beginning of my senior year where my brother had a birthday in May so he was always the youngest in his class.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Watching Cooper vs Georgia, when he sped up to the ball, and Ridley vs Arkansas, 2 move and then outran the coverage, that both of these guys have an afterburner speed, like a horse kick away, that most don't. You think they are at full speed, and then you see they have an extra reserved burst if needed.

I hope to see Ardarius in the draft one day, I think he has the skills and is clutch.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Watching Cooper vs Georgia, when he sped up to the ball, and Ridley vs Arkansas, 2 move and then outran the coverage, that both of these guys have an afterburner speed, like a horse kick away, that most don't. You think they are at full speed, and then you see they have an extra reserved burst if needed.

I hope to see Ardarius in the draft one day, I think he has the skills and is clutch.
Stewart might as well be Mr. Clutch if he keeps improving throughout his career. His best performance was against Tennessee, and in playoff. I want to include Auburn, but that catch in 1st half... man... that would've been epic had he caught it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Stewart might as well be Mr. Clutch if he keeps improving throughout his career. His best performance was against Tennessee, and in playoff. I want to include Auburn, but that catch in 1st half... man... that would've been epic had he caught it.
Which goes back to Chris Back. When the QB is feeding off of receivers he can count on and chemistry is developed, how do you pull those guys?
Not to change subject.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stewart is a burner who is able to high point a ball and take it away from DBs. Same with Ridley. That is not a very common ability at this level - no more than a dozen in all of college football in a given season. Lots of receivers can run fast and catch the ball when open. Few can catch it in traffic, or when the pass is being contested.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.