Calvin Ridley & Amari Cooper Comparisons

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
If he works his butt off, get's in the weight room, , stays after practice with the QB to work on pass routes, and gives it every single ounce of effort he has in his body, he "might" compare with Amari in about three years. My goodness folks, he had a good game game! A great game! To start Amari comparisons already???? I don't think so...
sip
I couldn't agree with you more.

Cooper is as gifted, polished and smooth as any college WR I've ever seen. You could tell his freshman year he was not your typical freshman. I have no doubts that he will be an all-pro WR in the NFL. Ridley is certainly very talented and can be a special player at Alabama but like you I think the comparisons are premature.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Today changed the game plans of a lot of DCs today...
This is a key point, and it will absolutely make a difference if Coker can repeat the performance. If defenses have to play you straight up, they have no chance against your RBs.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This is a key point, and it will absolutely make a difference if Coker can repeat the performance. If defenses have to play you straight up, they have no chance against your RBs.
This. We need to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. If I was a DC, I'd still plan to sell out to stop the run until I see Coker hit it again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Comparing Coop's freshman season start to Ridley's freshman season start isn't off limits. No one is saying Calvin Ridley at this moment is as good as Amari Cooper.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
It's absolutely fair to compare their beginnings. And you have to admit that on that long catch he looked just like AC. With him and Mullaney, play action definitely is more real for all DCs. Please put 8 in the box.

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
If he works his butt off, get's in the weight room, , stays after practice with the QB to work on pass routes, and gives it every single ounce of effort he has in his body, he "might" compare with Amari in about three years. My goodness folks, he had a good game game! A great game! To start Amari comparisons already???? I don't think so...
sip
Gotta agree with this. Yea, he did great. He's not Cooper yet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gotta agree with this. Yea, he did great. He's not Cooper yet.
Let's reiterate this one more time - no one is saying he is not the same player Amari Cooper is right now. They do look about the same when you look at Coop's freshman season, though. That's the comparison.

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
It's one game. The initial "starting" comparison is there. Now let's just see if Ridley can match the career of Coop. He's got a long row to hoe. No disrespect to Ridley, just saying Cooper set the bar high!

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Let's reiterate this one more time - no one is saying he is not the same player Amari Cooper is right now. They do look about the same when you look at Coop's freshman season, though. That's the comparison.
Calvin Ridley stepped up and played one heck of a game. However, he has a long way to go to acquire the skill sets that Amari had at this juncture in relation to route running and reading Defenses.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
This. We need to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. If I was a DC, I'd still plan to sell out to stop the run until I see Coker hit it again.
Thats why it is soooo important for us to stick with the run up the middle with DH. It wasnt effective at the beginning but it started opening things up.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
sip
The comparisons are actual data from relative periods in their careers ... valid comparison. What else are we supposed to do here, compare insurance rates?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Coop had a beautiful td reception today, in full stride, just did get his foot in bounds on the back line.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know! I still can't believe he's older than A'Shawn

Of course, Brandon Wheeden is older than Aaron Rodgers, so what do I know?
A'Shawn was shaving twice a day in kindergarten and had a full beard in middle school. He also drove the team bus on away games....as a sixth grader..

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I felt so bad for Foster when we learned he was out for the season. It's great to see Ridley perform like he has. Along with Mullaney, though, we need to have another WR or two step up. Stewart seems to be scuffling a little right now. Perhaps Sims or Black can assert themselves.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.