We Found An Offensive Identity

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I hate to be the doom and gloom guy on this outstanding day, but the number of times in which the defensive guy hit our RBs in the backfield is far too many to accept this as our offensive identity. If it is, then we are far from solving our riddle on the offensive side of the ball.
As discussed in another thread earlier this week, that is due to teams sending 8 for our 6 to block. This will continue to happen until we get more plays from Coker like the TD pass he hit Ridley with.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
As discussed in another thread earlier this week, that is due to teams sending 8 for our 6 to block. This will continue to happen until we get more plays from Coker like the TD pass he hit Ridley with.
This is true. Until yesterday, we hadn't made other teams pay for loading up the defensive line to stop our run game. Success with our passing game yesterday should give DCs something to think in the future.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
My comment was in reference to those who seem to imply that we won because we stuck to running the football. That's only partially true to our success today. In fact, we are not a physically dominating ground and pound team like we were in 2011. That's far from our identity this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just watched the parts of the game that I missed yesterday. I agree that running the ball is your forte, and I hope that this game is indicative of what Kiffin has planned for the rest of your season. When you add your off-tackle runs, you are an even better running team. Almost all of your tackles were, by necessity, between the tackles yesterday.

All that said, you continue to struggle woefully on 3rd down conversions. You have to get that fixed or it will cost you a game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My comment was in reference to those who seem to imply that we won because we stuck to running the football. That's only partially true to our success today. In fact, we are not a physically dominating ground and pound team like we were in 2011. That's far from our identity this year.
I don't think a strictly "ground and pound" approach works any more. That's what William has been saying...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I felt like we established an identity against Wisconsin, lost it while fiddling with the QB position, and re-established it yesterday.

Our defense is the dominant part of this team and it must be catered to. That means ball control on offense, and sharp special teams play. That way, your defense stays rested and you keep the opposing offense in poor field position. I like to call it the boa constrictor game plan where we slowly choke the life out of our opponent. THAT is Alabama football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Like Mack is saying - we have to connect on the passes when thrown in order to run. The lanes will open up when the defense has to respect the passing game.

You mention 2011. AJ had a 66% completion percentage with 8 yards per attempt. Those passes helped Trent have the room to run.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't think this game was completely indicative of Bama's offensive identity. It is not that simple. The weather had its impact and the fact that Bama built a lead led to more running plays as the game went along. Bama built up points with an interception return and blocked punt. UGA had turnovers.

The true identity may be more of what took place during the 1st 20 minutes of the game. Bama's best drives included a little more mix of pass than the final ratio for the game.

UGA was forced to pass more and Bama ran the clock late in the game. The time off possession was off the charts for Bama in the 4th quarter but Alabama did not move the ball very effectively late in the game.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Our offense identity is what it has always been.... a balanced approach. When we balance our running and passing game, we are an efficient team in producing yards and points. When we lean too heavily in either direction, that is when we become less efficient. While it is true that we have to take what the defense gives us, we also have to balance so that play-action can be effective.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Like Mack is saying - we have to connect on the passes when thrown in order to run. The lanes will open up when the defense has to respect the passing game.

You mention 2011. AJ had a 66% completion percentage with 8 yards per attempt. Those passes helped Trent have the room to run.
Operation of the 2011 offense aside, there isn't really a disagreement here.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Our offense identity is what it has always been.... a balanced approach. When we balance our running and passing game, we are an efficient team in producing yards and points. When we lean too heavily in either direction, that is when we become less efficient. While it is true that we have to take what the defense gives us, we also have to balance so that play-action can be effective.
I agree. That's what I liked about our first half. We were willing to throw on first and second down if it was there and we did so successfully. We stretched the defense sideline to sideline AND LOS to end zone.

One other thing that I saw in the fourth quarter that I liked is that when Georgia's defense keyed on Harris, Coker pulled it ran around the end several times. That film is going to make some other defensive coordinators respect Jake's willingness and ability to do it and keep them from keying on Henry, Drake and Scarbrough.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hate to be the doom and gloom guy on this outstanding day, but the number of times in which the defensive guy hit our RBs in the backfield is far too many to accept this as our offensive identity. If it is, then we are far from solving our riddle on the offensive side of the ball.
UGA initially played close to the line, but Pruitt had to back off because jake, mullaney, and Ridley started hurting them.

As far as the rain... Keep in mind Coker was throwing in the same conditions as UGA qbs were. So the rain is a non factor IMO

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Coach Bryant looked down and said,"RUN THE BALL"! as he spread a "gully washer" between the hedges!

Maybe the weather is telling us that we need to run the ball more and forced an identity upon us?

I don't think this game was completely indicative of Bama's offensive identity. It is not that simple. The weather had its impact and the fact that Bama built a lead led to more running plays as the game went along. Bama built up points with an interception return and blocked punt. UGA had turnovers.

The true identity may be more of what took place during the 1st 20 minutes of the game. Bama's best drives included a little more mix of pass than the final ratio for the game.

UGA was forced to pass more and Bama ran the clock late in the game. The time off possession was off the charts for Bama in the 4th quarter but Alabama did not move the ball very effectively late in the game.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
UGA initially played close to the line, but Pruitt had to back off because jake, mullaney, and Ridley started hurting them.

As far as the rain... Keep in mind Coker was throwing in the same conditions as UGA qbs were. So the rain is a non factor IMO
UGA also moved back up tight on defense late in the game when they knew Bama would run the ball. Bama did not have much success moving the ball then either.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think a lot of that was lackadaisical play on our part. You can have a dominant running game without going totally conservative and lining up tight as if your going to take a knee. With Bo entering now we are a legitimate power running team. By the end of the 3rd Henry was dead tired.

UGA also moved back up tight on defense late in the game when they knew Bama would run the ball. Bama did not have much success moving the ball then either.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
In the SEC, you run the ball effectively, play strong defense and set up play action. This is Alabama football.
I would love them to run the play where we hand off to the back, he hits the line and laterals back to the QB for a long pass to a streaking receiver down the field. I think AJ to Cooper scored a couple of TD's with this play!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.