The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly GA style

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
I was on vacation last week traveling with my son and missed the game due to ignorance of game time and wanting to make family the priority but....
The Ugly: the weather.
The Bad: walking towards Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga early in the game and passing an open tavern with patrons sitting around watching multiple games, then hearing an eruption among the crowd watching Bama/Ga. I looked back to see that Georgia had made a sack or tackle for loss and had a sinking feeling that things were not going to go well.
The Good: Walking back from the Aquarium past the same tavern and peeking at the score to see Bama up 38-10. A glorious feeling.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The Good: Jake Coker just going out and playing to his potential, not making mistakes, only one or two bad passes, He actually looked a little like A.J.!; Derrick Henry getting his career high in rushing yards!; Defense played lights out -- including yes, the defensive backs! Best I've seen them look in a while. They turned their heads at the right time, finally. JK Scott getting better. AG kicking FG. Cyrus looked pretty good as a return man. And we got a TD off a blocked punt. Great game plan and we executed it.

The Bad: Stupid penalties. Going hurry up while leading 38-3 heading into the 4th quarter in a heavy downpour. I was happy personally for Chubb getting his 100+yds especially that it had no effect on the outcome but not happy that we gave it to him by taking a play off.

The Ugly: Georgia pre-game and 4th quarter. Typical undisciplined and lack-of-class play by Georgia. Richt can't use the "good guy" moniker anymore in my eyes.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Good: Scores by the Offense, Defense & Special Teams. Our coaches will have a long list of players for Player of the Week.
Bad: Penalties & the long run by Chubb.
Ugly: thUGAs attempt to intimidate our players

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Good - Lots, obviously defense except 1 play (if they only have one bad play per game it's NC time), JC who has shown what he can do, special teams looked better than they have in years (was MF the one complaining about lack of playing time?)
Bad - weather, what seemed to me not enough substitution on offense (line - but I could have missed that, I just noticed all the starters still playing late in the 4th)
Ugly - Georgia, always has been, always will be.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
GOOD-We won. Coker's consistent play, the kicking game improving and the punt block. A strong performance from the defense except for letting Chubb break a garbage TD.

BAD-The early turnover and the penalty which could have caused a FG to become a TD. (Good job by the defense to nearly force them to punt on 4th and goal before that sidelines catch). Letting Chubb break one, it didn't matter in the final score, but you don't want to let a good team get their foot back in the door.

UGLY-Georgia's pre-game antics and the fans' costumes.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
The good: physically beating UGA after that pre game mosh pit stunt. Physical game plan that made their butts quit. The look from those over confident uga fans in the stands, the fact I live in Georgia and heard all week how they were gonna end our season on Saturday.

The bad: pre snap penalties. How do you get a delay of game penalty after a change of possession? And why is the qb looking at the sideline waiting for the play, that should have been decided already.
The ugly: 3rd down conversion.. what was it like 1 for 11? Got to get better on that. 50 percent is bad that was down right ugly.

Clean up the pre snap penalties, get better on third down. The list of things to improve on are getting smaller.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
TG: Makes future opponents respect the deep ball.
TB: Letting Chubb break one.
TU: Being harassed by out-of-control UGA players, pregame, while their coach stands by, arms crossed with a smirk on his face. But he's a good man...
I was in the kitchen just before the kickoff so I missed this. Just watched on DVR; what was that?! Will the SEC have anything to say about UGA doing this?

ETA: Never mind, I see that there is thread on this so I'll take a look at what others have said already...

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Good

- Jacob Coker's early success with a big assist from the offensive staff working in some nice bubble screen fakes that UGA bit on hard.

- Derrick Henry was dominating. Chubb may be the better back overall but Henry was the better on the field Saturday.

- Special teams making plays. Returners handled the slippery ball well and even made some decent runs with it while securing possession. Punt block was a thing of beauty but Georgia's blocking seemed completely off...probably a good identification of a problem with UGA's protection by the special teams coach though. Griffith and Scott handled the adverse conditions well. Didn't do anything amazing but they did everything by the numbers.

- Defense was suffocating against the run. This portents well for the run heavy pro-style teams left on our schedule though there admittedly aren't many.

The Bad

- The one missed assignment on the front in "near" garbage time costs Alabama chance at completely shutting down Chubb and ending his 100-yard game streak. This just goes to show how one guy doing the wrong thing can mean the difference between a stop and a big play.

The Ugly

- The weather matched UGA's mood by midway through the 2nd quarter.

- The UGA personal conduct penalties when they were getting their butts handed to them. Nothing says more about the UGA football culture than how they carry themselves when it is all but over: high time for late hits and dirty plays apparently.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Good- Everyone from the staff, to players, to ball boys seemed to be on the same page with the game plan. The players executed the plan very well.
Seeing a real football game played in the rain and mud was very enjoyable.
Ole Miss getting an SEC loss.
Bad- missed assignment allowing Chubb to break big run
Ugly- my preseason pick that Florida would only win 4 or 5 games total this year

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Adding the great to the list
Great-defense with the exception of one play made the Bulldog offense looked like boys against men.
Good-Jacob Coker looked 10X better and hit a deep ball, DH and the OL pounded the ball
Bad-3rd down conversions and confusion getting the play in at times
Ugly-Ga trying to intimidate. LOL How that work out??????

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Good total team effort yesterday it was by far the best we have played this year. The bad the breakdown on the chubb run or was it a breakdown:wink:. The ugly we are still getting to many penalties and the way the Georgia players acted before the game and towards the end as well as they had a couple of cheap shots. I guess it carried over to some of their fanbase as well,as some of them posted they hope our players get hurt etc.... That is truly sad.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Good - This Alabama team is really coming together
The Bad - Still committing too many turnovers
The Ugly - 3rd down conversion rate

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I for one am very happy for Coker! I am one of the fans who didnt believe he had the capabilities to lead a team in a game like this. He proved me wrong and i will gladly eat crow.

Congrats Jake! You really look like you are coming into your own. Dont lose that fire and you could do some special things this year.

RTR

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Good: A win. Coker played with a lot of confidence. Game plan seemed well thought out and played to what I consider our strengths. Offensive line played well. Calvin Ridley. Derrick Henry. Minkah Fitzpatrick. Marlon Humphrey turned his head around. Defense forcing turnovers. Adam Griffith looked good in limited opportunities.

Bad: Still too many silly penalties that need to be cleaned up. Confusion anytime we tried to run the hurry-up offense - it's clear the team isn't very comfortable running it. Couldn't get Kenyan Drake going.

UGA-ly: 3rd down conversion rate. Weather. UGA players before and during the game being overly mouthy. Auburn. Tennessee.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
The Good: Slobberknocking Defense, Coker, Henry, Freshman class is awesome.

The Bad: Allie LaForce had a jacket on :eek:

The Ugly: Rain of biblical proportions.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
The Good: Coker going through his progressions (thank you OL) and making some great passes downfield, Henry making up for that early fumble, our DBs playing fantastic cover defense, DL continuing to bat passes down, Griffith looks to have his confidence back (perfect since the first two awful games)

The Bad: Fumbles, giving up the long TD run to Chubb (take away that one play and he only has 63 yards on 19 carries), penalties...penalties...penalties

The Ugly: Weather, UGA fans, UGA's QB Rating for the game (2.0 and 0.0 for their two QBs)

*The Best: Wearing my houndstooth pants today at work (at Georgia Power in downtown Atlanta...and my boss is a UGA grad and HUGE fan)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.