Ok- let's actually put together a legitimate Top 5......

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I will give you ole miss's luckfest against us is better than UGA's victory over usce, but I don't really think it warrants Florida jumping 20 teams in one week for beating a team that everyone deep down knows should be sitting with 2 losses.
The point is the pre-season polls are pure speculation - at this point, UF has one of the strongest resumes in the entire country. Where sportswriters arbitrarily places them based on last season should mean nothing - on the field results are what matters.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The BSC rankings will be out in one month...until then...I'm not getting too excited about these polls, although it does feel good to be ranked again.

Just win, baby.....

WiliestBuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
I get that you're biased, but OSU is only at the top because of last year. If you wipe the slate clean and just look at this season, they're not in anyone's top 5...
I agree that OSU does not look like the best team as of right now, but nobody has exactly seized the moment either, many teams have an argument for 1 right now so I just went with the default. If this were last season I would have put FSU as 1, for example, not because they look amazing, but because nobody else has separated themselves from each other. There has to be a clear cut 1 to dethrone defending national champs in my book.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There has to be a clear cut 1 to dethrone defending national champs in my book.
This is college football. Teams differ too much from one season to the next to be a "defending" team. This year's OSU team has won nothing yet. I get that this isn't a popular view, but it is the straight truth.

WiliestBuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
This is college football. Teams differ too much from one season to the next to be a "defending" team. This year's OSU team has won nothing yet. I get that this isn't a popular view, but it is the straight truth.
That same logic could be applied to virtually any sport, not just college football. Rarely does a championship team comeback 100% intact, there are almost always departures of some kind due to trades, free agency, graduations, etc. I believe that if you have the vast majority of your team from the previous year returning, then you qualify as a defending champ and should be given some level of respect during the early part of the season.

I don't believe in preseason rankings at all, they are too inaccurate, and have too much of an impact on the rest of the season in college football. Early season rankings are always heavily impacted by them, and as a result, are extremely volatile. I like that the playoff committee waits for a while before coming out with their rankings, as that is about the time where they start to give an accurate picture of how the landscape truly looks.

Last year I don't think any reasonable college football fan would have said Florida St. was one of the 4 best teams at the end of the season, but a playoff without an undefeated defending national champion loses a lot of credibility. In a sport where it will never be completely settled on the field, national respect is important, and I think that an undefeated defending national champ has earned a lot of it, especially during the early parts of the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That same logic could be applied to virtually any sport, not just college football. Rarely does a championship team comeback 100% intact, there are almost always departures of some kind due to trades, free agency, graduations, etc. I believe that if you have the vast majority of your team from the previous year returning, then you qualify as a defending champ and should be given some level of respect during the early part of the season.
A level of respect - absolutely. But a team grows over the course of a season. It changes. It is not the same at the end of a season as it is at the outset.

This Ohio State team is nowhere near the same team that won the championship last year. It is still trying to figure out what it is. It has the potential to be great - but so do a whole lot of teams. Something as simple as complacency could turn this into a 3 loss team instead of a champion.

Until/unless they get it figured out, they are just another talented team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The point is the pre-season polls are pure speculation - at this point, UF has one of the strongest resumes in the entire country. Where sportswriters arbitrarily places them based on last season should mean nothing - on the field results are what matters.
Yeah polls are worthless at this point, but if we are talking about the committee then really who knows who will be where. Part of me thinks bama would be higher than every SEC team with the exception of LSU and aTm.

WiliestBuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
This Ohio State team is nowhere near the same team that won the championship last year. It is still trying to figure out what it is. It has the potential to be great - but so do a whole lot of teams. Something as simple as complacency could turn this into a 3 loss team instead of a champion.

Until/unless they get it figured out, they are just another talented team.
I agree with everything you just said, the problem is that everything you just said could be applied to pretty much every team vying for that number 1 spot as of now. Give it a couple more weeks and a true 1 will emerge, until that time there is no point in giving it to a different team every week.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with everything you just said, the problem is that everything you just said could be applied to pretty much every team vying for that number 1 spot as of now. Give it a couple more weeks and a true 1 will emerge, until that time there is no point in giving it to a different team every week.
Fair enough. I just decide not to assign numbers at all. But if I had to assign a #1 ranking right now, I would not give it to the Buckeyes. Other teams have done more this year. So our methodologies would simply be different.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) Ohio State - they're the defending champions and nobody has beaten them
2) Utah - they've drilled both Michigan and Oregon
3) Texas A/M - their win over Arizona St now looks a lot more impressive and had a much easier time with MSU than the LSU Tigers did
4) Florida - they've won 3 SEC games in a row, including a rout of a decent Ole Miss team
5) Michigan St

Neither Baylor nor TCU has yet really played anybody, OU's win over the Vols looks less impressive by the week (they needed OVERTIME to beat a foe that ARKANSAS took care of in regulation?)

Below the top five I'd say:

6) Clemson
7) LSU
8) Baylor
9) TCU
10) Alabama

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What I think it will look like in December:

1) Michigan State (13-0) - They run the table including a hard fought win in the Big 10's version of "The Game of the Century."

2) Oklahoma (12-0) - They have the most talent and best coach in their conference but nobody can stop talking about TCU or Baylor long enough to realize that they have pretty good QB play right now and thats what they've been missing since the end of the Bradford era.

3) Clemson (13-0) - FSU is the only test left.

4) Alabama (12-1) - The Texas A&M game ends up being the battle for the SEC's playoff spot. My Crimson colored glasses have me believing that Coker and the offense has turned a corner and we're gonna pull it out in College Station. We'll get Florida from the East in a tough SECCG against our former OC. Cyrus Jones channels Langham for a late INT TD for the win. :D

-- First 2 out --

5) Ohio State (11-1)

6) Texas A&M (11-1)

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Can't see any PAC-12 team in top 5 as of yet, not even sure about top 10...Utah win vs Michigan looking better and better...
I'll go with:
1.-Bears (ummm which one)
2.-Utes (there's only one of them)
3.-A&M (There is more than one of these)
4.-OSU (there's also more than one of these)
5.-Bama (only one of these guys & gal's - Roll Tide)
6.-LSU (they did beat hail-state, but so did A&M)
7.-MSU (there's more than one of these also, but I'll go with sparty!)
8.-Gayturs (the UT win don't look all that great now, and just how good is that ole sissy win?)

In other words pick who you like, 'cause it just don't matter for now! How good is our win vs. Wisky now?
Just how good are any of these teams wins?
You do realize that Utah is now in the PAC10.... right???

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
What I think it will look like in December:

1) Michigan State (13-0) - They run the table including a hard fought win in the Big 10's version of "The Game of the Century."

2) Oklahoma (12-0) - They have the most talent and best coach in their conference but nobody can stop talking about TCU or Baylor long enough to realize that they have pretty good QB play right now and thats what they've been missing since the end of the Bradford era.

3) Clemson (13-0) - FSU is the only test left.

4) Alabama (12-1) - The Texas A&M game ends up being the battle for the SEC's playoff spot. My Crimson colored glasses have me believing that Coker and the offense has turned a corner and we're gonna pull it out in College Station. We'll get Florida from the East in a tough SECCG against our former OC. Cyrus Jones channels Langham for a late INT TD for the win. :D

-- First 2 out --

5) Ohio State (11-1)

6) Texas A&M (11-1)

I don't think any teams in the top 4 this year will go undefeated and there will probably be more teams being switched around than last year the last few weeks of the season.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.