Question about Roughing the Snapper call

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
Great dominating win by the TIDE! RTR! Trying to understand a strange penalty. Early in the second quarter Alabama was called for Roughing the Snapper on Georgia's FG attempt giving the Dawgs a first and goal. I have never heard of this call before. Anybody have an explanation of why that was called? I'll hang up and listen.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Someone who knows better can correct me but I think the rule is that you cannot directly hit the center first on a special teams play. It seemed like a ticky tack call to me because it looked like he went after the guard and the center slid over that direction which makes him fair game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Great dominating win by the TIDE! RTR! Trying to understand a strange penalty. Early in the second quarter Alabama was called for Roughing the Snapper on Georgia's FG attempt giving the Dawgs a first and goal. I have never heard of this call before. Anybody have an explanation of why that was called? I'll hang up and listen.
I was taught that you had to give the center one second to stand up and assume a blocking stance, which appeared to have been given IMO. GD said something about a hand in the facemask of the snapper...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It's probably the most seldom called penalty in football. In fact, the last time I remember seeing that penalty called was in 2004 when AU missed a FG against CNS' LSU team, and AU got a re-kick and won 10-9.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but these refs have seemed to be trying to show up CNS since he made the complaint about the illegal man downfield in the OM game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I was taught that you had to give the center one second to stand up and assume a blocking stance, which appeared to have been given IMO. GD said something about a hand in the facemask of the snapper...
Yeah I heard him say that. Sounded like he was trying to find a reason for the penalty though because that was not what was called & there was definitely no roughing the snapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks, guys. Looks like perhaps one of the toughest ticky tack calls in football. Looks like Earle is right about the one second rule. I have been digging around and found this:
" A long snapper may not be contacted until one second has elapsed after the snap when the Kicking Team is in a scrimmage kick formation and it is reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted. In this formation the snapper is afforded special protection since he is in a vulnerable position susceptible to injury. This special protection is a player safety rule. It only applies to the snapper on scrimmage kick plays who are in scrimmage kick formations where the kick is obvious. Rule 9-1-2-o states: When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap. The snapper has one second to snap the ball and then position himself to block, protect himself or to release down field. Other players who have special protection from being roughed are the Holder, Kicker and passer.

(EXAMPLES: A.R. 9-1-2-XVIII-XX).

XVIII. A10 is in a shotgun-type formation 7-1/2 yards behind the snapper, who has his head down and is looking backward through his legs. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper and contacts him by pushing him backward. RULING: Legal. The snapper is not afforded any special protection because it was not reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted (Rule 2-15-10). The snapper does have the usual protection against any personal foul for unnecessary roughness.

XIX. Team A is in an obvious scrimmage kick formation. Immediately after the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper, contacts him, and drives him backward. The ball is snapped to an upback three yards behind the scrimmage line or to the potential kicker, who instead runs with or passes the ball. RULING: Foul. Penalty—15 yards and automatic first down. The snapper may not be contacted until one second has elapsed after the snap when Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation and it is reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted.

XX. Immediately after the snap, with Team A in an obvious scrimmage kick formation, noseguard B71 attempts to “shoot the gap” between the snapper and the adjacent lineman. B71’s initial legal contact is with the lineman next to the snapper. RULING: Legal. Incidental contact with the snapper after this initial legal contact is not a foul (Rule 2-15-10).

I hope this explains the roughing the snapper rule.
Vic Winnek
NCAA Football Official"

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You serious, Clark? That was a completely bogus call in terms of consistency with the rest of every football game I've ever seen.
I'm completely serious. We have the rule for a reason. Serious injury can occur to a player in that position, it is after a game right? Remember we have a long snapper too.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The best I could figure was that the defenders arm was coming up at the same time as the snapper was coming out f his stance. Looked like he might have unintentionally pushed the snapper up with his arm.

Either way, ticky-tack call. Fortunately it had no impact on the outcome.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You serious, Clark? That was a completely bogus call in terms of consistency with the rest of every football game I've ever seen.
I concur. I know people used to tee off on the snapper and that should not be allowed until he has time to get his head up, but the snapper was up and trying to block our lineman.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm completely serious. We have the rule for a reason. Serious injury can occur to a player in that position, it is after a game right? Remember we have a long snapper too.
I agree that its a good rule. I don't think it was correctly enforced yesterday. The intent is to prevent a defender from engaging them while their head is down (due to potential head and neck injury). The snapper yesterday was not engaged until he was upright. There may have been incidental contact from the defender, but I don't think it was penalty worthy.

I do understand the need to protect the player in that situation, but that call seemed questionable at best.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I agree that its a good rule. I don't think it was correctly enforced yesterday. The intent is to prevent a defender from engaging them while their head is down (due to potential head and neck injury). The snapper yesterday was not engaged until he was upright. There may have been incidental contact from the defender, but I don't think it was penalty worthy.

I do understand the need to protect the player in that situation, but that call seemed questionable at best.
I agree, our NG and DT both initially made contact with the guard and in the process of shooting the gap then made contact with the snapper. The referee made a bad call. Though, I must admit, I am not sure how the referees were able to see much of anything during that torrential monsoon!

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

It is a judgement call that's not easy to make in a split second but things turned out ok in the end.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.