Question about Roughing the Snapper call

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
It's a good rule and it was correctly enforced. We just need to work on it a bit.
I disagree that was called home cooking and a terrible call. Football is a rough game and I have see worse hits in flag football. Our guy did not even knock him down until he jumped and momentum carried him into the guy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First - it was not a hands to the face penalty. That is a different penalty, and a different call. That is not what was called. It might have happened, but it was not the call.

As for the call - it was incorrect. The NG and DT both tried to shoot the gaps between the center and guard on each side of the center. The center took the man to his right and was stood up and driven back - bent over backwards and he fell to the ground. In short - he was beat - badly. Because he was beaten so badly it looked terrible at real speed, but when slowed down you can see that the call was wrong.

You are allowed to shoot the gap. The long snapper on kicks does not have standard blocking responsibilities. He should not have tried to take on the man to his right in that way. It was his mistake. He could have been badly injured with that terrible technique. He should not have been rewarded for doing that with a bogus penalty. It will only encourage other long snappers to try something similar in desperate circumstances.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
First - it was not a hands to the face penalty. That is a different penalty, and a different call. That is not what was called. It might have happened, but it was not the call.

As for the call - it was incorrect. The NG and DT both tried to shoot the gaps between the center and guard on each side of the center. The center took the man to his right and was stood up and driven back - bent over backwards and he fell to the ground. In short - he was beat - badly. Because he was beaten so badly it looked terrible at real speed, but when slowed down you can see that the call was wrong.

You are allowed to shoot the gap. The long snapper on kicks does not have standard blocking responsibilities. He should not have tried to take on the man to his right in that way. It was his mistake. He could have been badly injured with that terrible technique. He should not have been rewarded for doing that with a bogus penalty. It will only encourage other long snappers to try something similar in desperate circumstances.
That's exactly the way I saw it. Snapper tried to make a block and got bowled over.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
My guess is when tables are turned, fans see things differently.
I disagree. If it was our snapper and the play went down exactly the same and Georgia had gotten flagged for it, I would think that they got jobbed.

Nobody is saying the rule is bad. But that simply wasn't a penalty.

It almost cost Georgia too. Too bad it didn't work out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
I thought the call was made because his hand nailed the guy in the head on the way down after the block attempt. The flag shouldn't have been thrown IMO and there was a makeup flag throw against UGA the very next play.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

That is the way I saw it too. If the snapper attempts to block I was under the impression that it is considered initiating contact. If the snapper just snaps and lets the guards to the blocking there is no initiating. Tough call either way. He did get nailed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban explains the penalty

"What happened on the play is we really didn't rough the center," Saban said. "We did what we call 'beach,' which we blocked several field goals doing this by putting A'Shawn Robinson and a couple other big guys like Jarran Reed and maybe Darren Lake or whatever. They get shoulder to shoulder and they try to get in the center-guard gap, on the guard and then on the guard-tackle gap and they push three guys on one to penetrate."

It worked last year as Jonathan Allen blocked an extra point in the 14-13 win over Arkansas, Alabama's opponent at 6 p.m. Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"Well, people have a tough time with those guys, so what they start doing is they snap the ball and the center tries to lean over to the beach side to try to give the guards some help. Well these guys are pushing and then their hands go up to block the kick. Well, when Jarran Reed or one of the guys' hand went up, it hit the center in the face and that's hands to the face.

"Again, it's a good rule for player safety and all that type of stuff. So it wasn't like somebody just hauled off and run over the center, it was kinda almost accidental contact. He was raising his hands up to block the kick as he was pushing in the gap and the guy leaned his way. It was just one of those things. I don't think it was a malicious thing on the part of our players. It's not something that gets called a lot but I think people respect the rule and try not to hit the center."

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Agree about protecting he snapper for a second or so, but after that, it becomes a contact sport! And that's coming from the dad of a high school long snapper. Just another really grey speculative rule...kinda like the targeting. Anyone see the USCw de launch into the chin of the uw qb last night. No flag flew...but let a ua dlineman graze someone and see the flags fly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hands to the face like I said above.

BTW - I think Saban incorrectly said it was on the way up...he nailed him on the way down.
Except that is a different penalty than was called. Saban essentially said as much. Yes, Alabama committed a penalty. No, it was not roughing the snapper. What Alabama did was totally legal until the hand came up, but the ref still got it wrong because he either saw something that never happened or he just called it the wrong way on TV.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Agree about protecting he snapper for a second or so, but after that, it becomes a contact sport! And that's coming from the dad of a high school long snapper. Just another really grey speculative rule...kinda like the targeting. Anyone see the USCw de launch into the chin of the uw qb last night. No flag flew...but let a ua dlineman graze someone and see the flags fly.
Well SEC refs are way more proficient than their PAC 10 counterparts. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I have a buddy who was a long snapper on D1 team a few years back. He texted me during the game "If that was a penalty it was missed on every kick of my career"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.