Mark Richt is a Good Man?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
like i said, my cynical side says that he is putting up a facade.

but, overtime he gets up in front of the cameras and starts talking all of that crap about how its more than winning and losing, that is effectively a big ole dog whistle to the good man crowd.

to be fair to some puppy fans, a lot of them are sick of hearing it.
Fair enough. I haven't seen him say that kind of stuff personally, but like I said earlier I don't follow him closely either. If he is looking down his nose in any kind of "holier than thou", self-righteous Pharisee kind of way, then that's a problem for sure. Whether he is sincerely a nice guy or not, bottom line is that he has to produce in his job just like anyone else or he should be held accountable for it. Not debating that at all.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't what's going on with Richt's teams. I do believe he's probably a good guy overall, at least seems to be off the field. He and his wife adopted 2 kids from the Ukraine a few years back, the first of which (his daughter) had been shunned/neglected due to a facial deformity. Anyone who has a heart for adopting rejected kids, and is willing to take them in, love them, give them a real family and a chance at a good life has to have a special kind of love and goodness in them. Certainly though, that apparently good character is not rubbing off on his teams for whatever reason. Personally, I just think he's too soft, too "player friendly" to instill the discipline and toughness needed in the program. Either that or he just doesn't think it's a big deal and doesn't realize it's crippling his program.
I agree. Just because his players don't always live by his faith, that is not his fault. I teach my tail off every day, but only those students who listen and apply themselves receive the full benefit of the education I offer. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Fair enough. I haven't seen him say that kind of stuff personally, but like I said earlier I don't follow him closely either. If he is looking down his nose in any kind of "holier than thou", self-righteous Pharisee kind of way, then that's a problem for sure.
Living in Atlanta you get to see it, all the time. The "Richt is not just great but also better than you and every coach out there because he refuses to cut corners" PR Mantra is all over the place. This insinuates that the only thing that separates Richt from Saban and the other coaches that actually accomplish things in college football is that everyone else is dirty.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I agree. Just because his players don't always live by his faith, that is not his fault. I teach my tail off every day, but only those students who listen and apply themselves receive the full benefit of the education I offer. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
the difference here of course is that you likely don't get to choose your students, he does and fills his rosters with thugs

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Let me correct one thing for you. There are nothing but sinners in the church. But that's another discussion for a different board.

I know people grow weary of the "he may fail as a coach, but he's a good man" narrative - I get it. But has Richt asked for any of that? I haven't seen anything along those lines directly from him, so I see no need to bash the guy, and no one said anything about him being "greater" than anyone else. Like it or not, he does have a reputation with former players, the community at large, and peers as being a good guy in general. It doesn't make him a great coach or mean that he deserves a break for failing in his job, but it also shouldn't demand undue backlash either. I think he's just doing what he does, being a nice guy, and I don't see anything to make me think he's insincere in the way he choose to conduct himself. Only those closest to him can say for sure.
Well said.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I dont see why people keep saying "he is a good man". Just because he goes to church doesnt make him a saint. There are a lot of sinners in the church.

Is he a greater man than Saban? Steve Spurrier? Sylvester Croom? Rick Pitino?

What do people base the standard of Richt on anyway?? I dont see it. The whole thing is over blown. I seriously doubt he could teach an ethics class at uga.
well said. I'm getting tired of it all. Especially the implication that other coaches must be "lesser" men that don't measure up to his most awesome goodness. (GAG)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The only way I could know if he is a good man or a sincere Christian is to know him personally or know someone well who does know him personally. Other than that would be my opinion unless there are trusted news media reports to the otherwise.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Sometimes I believe that the term "good" is used far too loosely when describing people. Mark Richt is by all accounts a devout man. He has a calm demeanor. He adopts orphans. He smiles a lot. That's all very nice.

He always has a talented roster, but his teams are not disciplined. They play well when facing an overmatched foe or when everything is going their way, but the first sign of adversity causes them to fall apart.

Richt is in his 15th season at Georgia and his records are as such:

Year200120022003200420052006200720082009201020112012201320142015
W813111010911108610128104
L413234235742531
%.667.929.786.833.769.692.846.833.615.462.714.857.615.833.800

Early in his career, he was much more consistent, but over the last 8 seasons, he makes precipitous drops after successful seasons. During the late 2000's, his teams were heavily penalized. They seem to have made some strides in that, but they are still inconsistent. In Richt's first eight seasons at Georgia (2001-2008), the Dawgs only lost 6 games by a two-TD margin or more. In his six and almost a half seasons since 2008, the Dawgs have lost 10 (including the 28-point win by Bama last weekend) contests by a two-TD margin or more. The average margin of loss in Richt's first eight seasons at Georgia was 9.6 ppg. In the last six and almost a half, it is 11.3 ppg.

In comparison, under Saban Alabama has only lost 3 games by 14 points (Utah in 2008, South Carolina in 2010, and Oklahoma in 2013) and none by more than that. Only in the Utah game did I ever see the Tide appear to develop a detached attitude when they went down 21-0 and they still came back within 4 of Utah (21-17) in the third quarter before Utah put the game away. In those three games, the opposing QBs had the games of their lives (Brian Johnson was 27/41 for 336 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INT, Steven Garcia was 17/20 for 201 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 INT, and Trevor Knight was 32/44 for 348 yards, 4 TDs, and 1 INT). I still saw the discipline to keep fighting no matter how bad things got and I didn't see a lot of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties from frustration.

In Saban's eight and almost a half-seasons, the average margin of loss is 7 points. In the first six (2007 to 2012) it was 6.7 ppg and in the last two and almost a half it has been 7.8 ppg. After a 7-6 start (on the field) in 2007, the records have been 12-2, 14-0, 10-3, 12-1, 13-1, 11-2, and 12-2. There's consistency season after season, there's consistency from game to game, and there's consistency within the game. The players "do their job", they don't panic or throw in the towel when things don't go their way, and they typically beat who they are supposed to beat and give everything they've got to compete against teams that they are more evenly matched against.

In both the Blackout game and the Washout game, Georgia started falling apart when adversity showed its face and that indicates that they are not disciplined. You look on their sideline for someone to take charge and get in people's faces and you'll see that emotionless, blank stare under the headphones which gently undulate his lifeless sandy coiffure from his monotonic, nonchalant discussion with someone, somewhere. I don't think I've ever seen any change in his posture or expression even when one of his players commits a monumentally absurb and unnecessary penalty at the most critical point of a game. He may be like General Patton at Cheppy-Lorraine for all I know in the locker room, but on the sideline he turns into Marshal Petain at Compiegne.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Based on his humanitarian efforts, etc., I'm certainly willing to say Richt is a good man. That doesn't necessarily equate to being a good football coach, though he probably is a good coach, too. Not a great one, though. Both of those points miss a larger strategic reason that I want him in Athens coaching football.

Be grateful, Crimson brethren and sistren, that the sort of behavior we mock is happening to the Dawgs. Then silently hope it continues. Why? Because it will attract more of that sort of players to UGa, making it easier for us to recruit the likes of Drake, Sims, etc., from the state of Georgia. We get the type who will do things our way, they can have the head cases that want to woof, act like knuckleheads, be more "me" than "us", and generally of weaker will than our program requires.

Now, for the sake of clarity, I mean bad behavior; not criminal behavior. We WANT bad behavior in that program, folks. It makes it less hard for us to beat them.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Based on his humanitarian efforts, etc., I'm certainly willing to say Richt is a good man. That doesn't necessarily equate to being a good football coach, though he probably is a good coach, too. Not a great one, though. Both of those points miss a larger strategic reason that I want him in Athens coaching football.

Be grateful, Crimson brethren and sistren, that the sort of behavior we mock is happening to the Dawgs. Then silently hope it continues. Why? Because it will attract more of that sort of players to UGa, making it easier for us to recruit the likes of Drake, Sims, etc., from the state of Georgia. We get the type who will do things our way, they can have the head cases that want to woof, act like knuckleheads, be more "me" than "us", and generally of weaker will than our program requires.

Now, for the sake of clarity, I mean bad behavior; not criminal behavior. We WANT bad behavior in that program, folks. It makes it less hard for us to beat them.
From the looks of what Mack has going on in Gainesville and the fact that we don't see them again in the regular season for another decade I doubt we play much anyway. Mack will have the Gators ahead of UGA till their fans finally decide they want to win more than they want to act self-righteous. So it's pretty much a moot point anyway

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
Like the "he's a good man" thing, there is another, "a team always reflects the coach", both are not always so.
I believe CMR to be a "good man", I also believe he is a "good coach", I do not believe he is an "elite coach".
I don't think his teams reflect his personality, and that is one of the things that keeps him from being "elite", his inability to control his players.
I guess I have to, begrudgingly, give Bobby Bowden "elite" status.
But BB could never control his players either, some of the dirtiest teams I've ever see on the field were Bowden teams.
And most folks always seemed to say, "Bobby Bowden is a good man".
Nick Saban is a butt, often loosing composer on the sidelines, his teams do not reflect his personality, because he can usually control his players, his teams are usually disciplined and in control.
Nick Saban is among the "elite of the elite".
Even though he gives $$$ and time to many good causes, there are few who are not Bama fans, who would say, "he's a good man".
Mt. 19:17 & Mk. 10:18

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Being a good man has nothing to do with how good of a football coach you are, how your players act, or what your record may be.
My son's best friend graduated from Bama and now works in the football recruiting office at Georgia.
He, now 26, has grown to know Coach Richt quite well and says that he is the most devoutly faithful person he has ever met.
He says that his top priority every single day is his family, taking the time to study the scriptures, and then to coach football.
He told a story of the two of them traveling to visit a top recruit. The phone rang and one of his current players Mother' had died. Coach Richt stopped the car. Turned to "Little Dave", and said, "We need to say a prayer". He then proceeded to pray for the mom, his player, and their family. They then canceled the recruiting trip, turned around, and drove to the players hometown to be there for support.
Is Mark Richt a good man? YES. He has his priorities in absolutely the right order.
Sip

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From the looks of what Mack has going on in Gainesville and the fact that we don't see them again in the regular season for another decade I doubt we play much anyway. Mack will have the Gators ahead of UGA till their fans finally decide they want to win more than they want to act self-righteous. So it's pretty much a moot point anyway
If they didn't get rid of him after urban, spurrier, and Phil made him their whooping dog I doubt anything less than a 9 win season will do him in. I think he also lost to kiffin.

Fwiw we play the next in bds in 2020 if you were really interested

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If they didn't get rid of him after urban, spurrier, and Phil made him their whooping dog I doubt anything less than a 9 win season will do him in. I think he also lost to kiffin.

Fwiw we play the next in bds in 2020 if you were really interested
I'm telling you now, he can't survive another Florida resurrection. If Mack gets them to SEC championships and the GA fan-base decides that they'd been or are being lapped by FL again they'll get rid of him. They'll make it graceful promote him to AD or he'll "retire" to work on a ministry, something like that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
mark bradley article

the article and the comments are worth a read

The surprising part Saturday was that it was no surprise to see Georgia collapse. Big-time programs aren’t supposed to do that, but this has become a flimsy big-time program: The Bulldogs look great until that moment when they look awful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.