Mark Richt is a Good Man?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
mark bradley article

the article and the comments are worth a read
92tide, I'll bet that there are few things that could be better than this week for you:

1. Paying out your tab at Sloppy Joes and being invited to an after party with just you, your significant other, Jimmy Buffett, his significant other, two cases of iced Red Stripe and an Ibanez 12- string drifting in a 25-foot lifeboat with no oars that Jimmy borrowed off a local in exchange for a round of Patron body shots.
  2. Finding that Chinese hackers infiltrated the bank that services your home loan and somehow accidentally set your payoff amount to $0.13 and the bank didn't detect the breach.
  3. Asking Stephen Hawking repeatedly "if Pete and Repeat were on a fence and the momentum of a 6GeV particle knocked Pete off the fence, who would remain on the fence?" until the battery ran down in his eye-blink communication device.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm telling you now, he can't survive another Florida resurrection. If Mack gets them to SEC championships and the GA fan-base decides that they'd been or are being lapped by FL again they'll get rid of him. They'll make it graceful promote him to AD or he'll "retire" to work on a ministry, something like that.
The problem is if you fire him, then who do you get? The most realistic choices are Pruitt, kiffin, and smart. So do you want to gamble with that

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The problem is if you fire him, then who do you get? The most realistic choices are Pruitt, kiffin, and smart. So do you want to gamble with that
This is a main argument that the folks over here in GA are trotting out. That and the " He`s a great man" spiel. Right now, the usual rationalizations for keeping him are in heavy play. They do not in any way define "mediocrity" the same way that we do. Having said that, if UGA loses to UT and/or Florida, it could get really entertaining over here.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
From everything I have read. I believe he's a solid Christian coach. That would be a rarity in these days.
Only because he thinks he must tell everyone. :rolleyes: There are many Christian coaches in the SEC (and in college football) - they just don't run around reminding everyone daily.....

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
From everything I have read. I believe he's a solid Christian coach. That would be a rarity in these days.
From everything I have seen on the football field, I believe he's an average football coach. Which, pretty much by definition, is pretty common these days. :biggrin2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From everything I have seen on the football field, I believe he's an average football coach. Which, pretty much by definition, is pretty common these days. :biggrin2:
He has the 5th highest winning percentage of active head coaches with 10 seasons or more. I get that GA produces a lot of talent, and I get that he has a .500 W/L record against ranked teams. But I still believe that he is above average.

Georgia could do a whole lot worse. Just ask TN fans.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
92tide, I'll bet that there are few things that could be better than this week for you:

1. Paying out your tab at Sloppy Joes and being invited to an after party with just you, your significant other, Jimmy Buffett, his significant other, two cases of iced Red Stripe and an Ibanez 12- string drifting in a 25-foot lifeboat with no oars that Jimmy borrowed off a local in exchange for a round of Patron body shots.
  2. Finding that Chinese hackers infiltrated the bank that services your home loan and somehow accidentally set your payoff amount to $0.13 and the bank didn't detect the breach.
  3. Asking Stephen Hawking repeatedly "if Pete and Repeat were on a fence and the momentum of a 6GeV particle knocked Pete off the fence, who would remain on the fence?" until the battery ran down in his eye-blink communication device.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Pruitt is an unknown, he could be the next Saban or the next Muschamp, not a risk I'd be willing to take

Same on Smart frankly. He has the UGA ties but no experience as a head coach, I'd pass

Kiffin has proved to be a train wreck as a HC. I'd pass there too

personally I hope Richt stays well into his 70's as to your original question I'm not sure but there are good coaches all around the country that they could pull from. GA is a great job, eventually they'll replace him and we'll have to deal with them for real. He is what is holding them back

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is a main argument that the folks over here in GA are trotting out. That and the " He`s a great man" spiel. Right now, the usual rationalizations for keeping him are in heavy play. They do not in any way define "mediocrity" the same way that we do. Having said that, if UGA loses to UT and/or Florida, it could get really entertaining over here.
i do have to say that there are quite a few jawjuh fans calling bs on this nonsense this time around.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Pruitt is an unknown, he could be the next Saban or the next Muschamp, not a risk I'd be willing to take

Same on Smart frankly. He has the UGA ties but no experience as a head coach, I'd pass

Kiffin has proved to be a train wreck as a HC. I'd pass there too

personally I hope Richt stays well into his 70's as to your original question I'm not sure but there are good coaches all around the country that they could pull from. GA is a great job, eventually they'll replace him and we'll have to deal with them for real. He is what is holding them back
Kiffin also has never been dealt a fair hand either as a head coach either. I still think if the Miami job opens up that is where you'll find kiffin next year.

As far as chip Kelly.. If his name comes up Texas will throw him a blank check and tell him to fill in the numbers

I just don't get the feeling that UGA will part with richt unless he starts losing to ut. If they were ever going to get rid of him then they should've done it in 09 when Lane kiffin destroyed him or in 2010 when it was a meh kinda season

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
He has the 5th highest winning percentage of active head coaches with 10 seasons or more. I get that GA produces a lot of talent, and I get that he has a .500 W/L record against ranked teams. But I still believe that he is above average.

Georgia could do a whole lot worse. Just ask TN fans.
I agree, but the joke works better with "average" than with "above average". :wink: They could definitely do worse, and probably would if they got rid of him. I just don't think they're ever going to win it all with Richt. So, do they want to be average to good for the next 15-20 years with Richt and never get to the mountain top, or do they want to take a chance and maybe get there? There's no huge shame with either option, I guess.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Do I think Richt is a good man? Yes.
Do I think Richt is a good coach who doesn't have the disciplinary skills to becom great? Yes.
Do I think GA can win a Nat'l Title with Richt as Head Coach? No.

Richt is too nice to ever win a championship. If GA wants to keep Richt at Head Coach, let them, but I don't want hear complaining from their boosters and the fans about how their program is stuck in neutral.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.