Mark Richt is a Good Man?

fourbama

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
I keep hearing this over and over and I have seen some evidence of it but His football team sure does not reflect it. There were some really cheap shots in the game and the taunting that happened before the game was a poor reflection on Mr. Richt. And by the way it was not very smart on their part either. I have always heard you let a sleeping bear lay and they poked one and got mauled. My impression of the Georgia football team is that they are a group of Thugs and that is a reflection of the coach. Clean it up Richt before your reputation as a good man is ruined. Everyone says he wants to win the right way, well the display I saw Saturday did not look like the right way to win or lose.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I keep hearing this over and over and I have seen some evidence of it but His football team sure does not reflect it. There were some really cheap shots in the game and the taunting that happened before the game was a poor reflection on Mr. Richt. And by the way it was not very smart on their part either. I have always heard you let a sleeping bear lay and they poked one and got mauled. My impression of the Georgia football team is that they are a group of WANNABE Thugs and that is a reflection of the coach. Clean it up Richt before your reputation as a good man is ruined. Everyone says he wants to win the right way, well the display I saw Saturday did not look like the right way to win or lose.
FIFY... If I ran into their players in a dark alley, I don't think I would worry too much.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I don't what's going on with Richt's teams. I do believe he's probably a good guy overall, at least seems to be off the field. He and his wife adopted 2 kids from the Ukraine a few years back, the first of which (his daughter) had been shunned/neglected due to a facial deformity. Anyone who has a heart for adopting rejected kids, and is willing to take them in, love them, give them a real family and a chance at a good life has to have a special kind of love and goodness in them. Certainly though, that apparently good character is not rubbing off on his teams for whatever reason. Personally, I just think he's too soft, too "player friendly" to instill the discipline and toughness needed in the program. Either that or he just doesn't think it's a big deal and doesn't realize it's crippling his program.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't what's going on with Richt's teams. I do believe he's probably a good guy overall, at least seems to be off the field. He and his wife adopted 2 kids from the Ukraine a few years back, the first of which (his daughter) had been shunned/neglected due to a facial deformity. Anyone who has a heart for adopting rejected kids, and is willing to take them in, love them, give them a real family and a chance at a good life has to have a special kind of love and goodness in them. Certainly though, that apparently good character is not rubbing off on his teams for whatever reason. Personally, I just think he's too soft, too "player friendly" to instill the discipline and toughness needed in the program. Either that or he just doesn't think it's a big deal and doesn't realize it's crippling his program.
I had no idea he had adopted those kids. I'm glad to know it, and even gladder he did it. (is that a word?)

But he still can't discipline a team worth a flip.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He may indeed be a good human being, but the whole "Mark Richt is a good man" mantra when discussing his coaching acumen is simply a reflection of Georgia fans mentality and the justification for how they are content with mediocrity.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had no idea he had adopted those kids. I'm glad to know it, and even gladder he did it. (is that a word?)

But he still can't discipline a team worth a flip.
he cant coach them worth a flip either. i'm still seeing some of the "its not all winning and losing, he's building high character individuals that represent uga well" nonsense floating around. that is demonstrably not true.

at least for me, i don't give two craps about all of his "good man" stuff. there are thousands upon thousands of ordinary folks (e.g. not in the spotlight, not making 3mil per year) who are sacrificing to make other's lives better. the cynic in me thinks that on some level, he is using that whole good man schtick as a crutch for his continued poor performance and is making a fortune doing it.

the other part that really grates on my nerves hearing this crap ad nauseam, is that it implies that successful coaches and programs are somehow not good

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He may indeed be a good human being, but the whole "Mark Richt is a good man" mantra when discussing his coaching acumen is simply a reflection of Georgia fans mentality and the justification for how they are content with mediocrity.
having lived and worked in georgia for quite a while, this mediocrity infects the state from top to bottom

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
he cant coach them worth a flip either. i'm still seeing some of the "its not all winning and losing, he's building high character individuals that represent uga well" nonsense floating around. that is demonstrably not true.

at least for me, i don't give two craps about all of his "good man" stuff. there are thousands upon thousands of ordinary folks (e.g. not in the spotlight, not making 3mil per year) who are sacrificing to make other's lives better. the cynic in me thinks that on some level, he is using that whole good man schtick as a crutch for his continued poor performance and is making a fortune doing it.

the other part that really grates on my nerves hearing this crap ad nauseam, is that it implies that successful coaches and programs are somehow not good
I hear you and agree that just because he's done some good in the world doesn't excuse him from doing his job, absolutely. Nick Saban has done a lot of good through Nick's Kids and other ventures while still kicking the crap out of the rest of the SEC every Saturday, so the two are most certainly not mutually exclusive. Gene Stallings is another good example of high character and high success at the college level.

To be fair though, how much of the "good man" narrative is self-created vs. fan/media created? I don't live in GA and don't keep up with Richt that closely, but I don't know that I've ever heard him personally "toot his own horn" so to speak, other than advocating for adoption (which is admirable). Someone else would have to comment whether he is actively/personally cultivating a "good guy" simply to cover his weaknesses. Personally, I'm willing to take it at face value that he's a good man in general (unless I see a reason to think otherwise), but I think he's a mediocre football coach at best and probably shouldn't be where he is based on the merits. I wouldn't hire him if I was an AD.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
How much of it is Richt and how much of it was us - and how impressive we were. Is there any team in the country that could have beat us on Saturday? Ole Miss would have lost by 21, the way OSU played, they would have lost by 28.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
He is a great man and I hope he stays at UGA forever. I didn't realize it but heard it on the post game Georgia show leaving Athens that this loss makes ten consecutive years that Georgia has lost at least one game by 15 or more points.

Edit - I went to double check those stats and found them to be accurate

2006 Finished 9-4 but lost to Tennessee 51-33
2007 Finished 11-2 but lost to Tennessee 35-14
2008 Finished 10-3 but lost to Florida 49-10
2009 Finished 8-5 lost to Tennessee 45-19
2010 Finished 6-7 lost to Auburn 49-31
2011 Finished 10-4 but lost to LSU 42-10
2012 Finished 12-2 but lost to South Carolina 35-7
2013 Finished 8-5 lost to Missouri 41-26
2014 Finished 10-3 but lost to South Carolina 45-21 and Florida 38-20
2015 ???? lost to Alabama 38-10

Last edited:

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I dont see why people keep saying "he is a good man". Just because he goes to church doesnt make him a saint. There are a lot of sinners in the church.

Is he a greater man than Saban? Steve Spurrier? Sylvester Croom? Rick Pitino?

What do people base the standard of Richt on anyway?? I dont see it. The whole thing is over blown. I seriously doubt he could teach an ethics class at uga.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I hear you and agree that just because he's done some good in the world doesn't excuse him from doing his job, absolutely. Nick Saban has done a lot of good through Nick's Kids and other ventures while still kicking the crap out of the rest of the SEC every Saturday, so the two are most certainly not mutually exclusive. Gene Stallings is another good example of high character and high success at the college level.

To be fair though, how much of the "good man" narrative is self-created vs. fan/media created? I don't live in GA and don't keep up with Richt that closely, but I don't know that I've ever heard him personally "toot his own horn" so to speak, other than advocating for adoption (which is admirable). Someone else would have to comment whether he is actively/personally cultivating a "good guy" simply to cover his weaknesses. Personally, I'm willing to take it at face value that he's a good man in general (unless I see a reason to think otherwise), but I think he's a mediocre football coach at best and probably shouldn't be where he is based on the merits. I wouldn't hire him if I was an AD.
like i said, my cynical side says that he is putting up a facade.

but, everytime he gets up in front of the cameras and starts talking all of that crap about how its more than winning and losing, that is effectively a big ole dog whistle to the good man crowd, and he's full of those dog whistles.

to be fair to some puppy fans, a lot of them are sick of hearing it.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I dont see why people keep saying "he is a good man". Just because he goes to church doesnt make him a saint. There are a lot of sinners in the church.

Is he a greater man than Saban? Steve Spurrier? Sylvester Croom? Rick Pitino?

What do people base the standard of Richt on anyway?? I dont see it. The whole thing is over blown. I seriously doubt he could teach an ethics class at uga.
Let me correct one thing for you. There are nothing but sinners in the church. But that's another discussion for a different board.

I know people grow weary of the "he may fail as a coach, but he's a good man" narrative - I get it. But has Richt asked for any of that? I haven't seen anything along those lines directly from him, so I see no need to bash the guy, and no one said anything about him being "greater" than anyone else. Like it or not, he does have a reputation with former players, the community at large, and peers as being a good guy in general. It doesn't make him a great coach or mean that he deserves a break for failing in his job, but it also shouldn't demand undue backlash either. I think he's just doing what he does, being a nice guy, and I don't see anything to make me think he's insincere in the way he choose to conduct himself. Only those closest to him can say for sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.