Question: Arkansas Strengths/Weaknesses?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm thinking we'll handle the hogs pretty handily. But I thought the same last year.

1 - How does this team respond after the emotional high at UGA?

2 - Is their O-Line going to test our front seven?

RTR!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yes and Yes.

This is a tough game to be sandwiched between the UGA and TAMU road games. We're going to need our best on run defense to beat them. Can't underrate the fact that a win in Tuscaloosa would salvage this season for them a great deal.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They haven't had the dominating rushing game they had last season - they're averaging 204 ypg rushing (Bama is averaging 200 ypg), but they're passing pretty well (272 ypg).

Arky is scoring 25.8 ppt and allowing 22.4 ppg.
Bama is scoring 36.2 ppt and allowing 16 ppg - against much tougher competition.

I don't see Arky rushing well against this D.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm thinking we'll handle the hogs pretty handily. But I thought the same last year.

1 - How does this team respond after the emotional high at UGA?

RTR!!!
They do have a BIG OL! Isn't it BIGGER than any NFL team?!. I know just being Big is great, but you need to be Good and Big!

I am concerned this week. We've got to come down from the Alabama HIGH in Athens, Gawga and get ready!

This could be a TOUGH game. Toledo is not as bad as I originally thought and they, the Hogs, could have/should have won that A & M game.

I honestly wish we were underDogs again this week. If we can stop that Hog RB, I think we'll be okay. I honestly think he's better than Chubb.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Are we a better road team than at home? More distractions at home maybe? We haven't run arky out of the stadium very often so I don't think this game will be any different. We aren't going to beat every team like we beat Georgia. But hopefully we beat'm all. I think we have the run game handled on defense, 3rd down on offense and pass coverage on defense will tell the tale.

Well, looking at Arkys games, they've actually played somewhat better than their record is showing. I think they should have beaten A&M, but that's neither here nor there in this game. Their running game is a liability right now and they need it to pass. If they can run the ball then it is over for them. Defensively speaking they (Bama) should be able to do what it wants. Arky isn't that good on that side of the ball. If our O-Line has truly turned the corner like I think it has, it will run all over Arky literally and figuratively.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Their pass defense is pretty weak statistically from what I saw. They have really good backs. I like to watch Collins run. All knees and shoulder pads and quick feet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Are we a better road team than at home? More distractions at home maybe? We haven't run arky out of the stadium very often so I don't think this game will be any different. We aren't going to beat every team like we beat Georgia. But hopefully we beat'm all. I think we have the run game handled on defense, 3rd down on offense and pass coverage on defense will tell the tale.

???????????

2008 - 49-14
2009 - 35-7 (BDS)
2011 - 38-14 (BDS)
2012 - 52-0
2013 - 52-0 (BDS)

That's five blowouts in the last seven meetings, three of them at home. In their last three meetings at BDS they've lost by a combined 125-21, an average of 41-7.

Yeah, we had a close game last year thanks to four turnovers. If we turn it over four times this week, it will be a close game and maybe a loss for us.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Historically, Arkansas has been a close game and it use to dictate a lot about our season trajectory (it was early in the season, maybe even the first SEC games a couple of times). Recent history has been one of Alabama blowouts other than 2007 and 2014. If we limit the turnovers and play a solid game against their rushing attack then I think we win...but I don't think it will be an easy win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless this is another game played in the mud, you should totally crush them. Strength against strength, with Alabama having the edge everywhere that matters. Honestly, the way that your defense is playing, they might not score.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
They do have a BIG OL! Isn't it BIGGER than any NFL team?!.
I know just being Big is great, but you need to be Good and Big!

I am concerned this week. We've got to come down from the Alabama HIGH in Athens, Gawga and get ready!

This could be a TOUGH game. Toledo is not as bad as I originally thought and they, the Hogs, could have/should have won that A & M game.

I honestly wish we were underDogs again this week. If we can stop that Hog RB, I think we'll be okay. I honestly think he's better than Chubb.
Yes. At least according to the commentators for their game with UT, they have the largest OL in ALL of football, regardless of level.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Historically, Arkansas has been a close game and it use to dictate a lot about our season trajectory (it was early in the season, maybe even the first SEC games a couple of times).
Now this is right on taking the overall view. In fact, I wrote this piece days before the 2011 game making the very points you make here. It has - admittedly - been more one-sided LATELY.

Recent history has been one of Alabama blowouts other than 2007 and 2014. If we limit the turnovers and play a solid game against their rushing attack then I think we win...but I don't think it will be an easy win.
And 2010 as well, but we're in total agreement here.

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
We've been a hard team to figure out. Alex Collins is 8th in the country in rushing, Brandon Allen is 18th in passing, and our defense has held each opponent to their lowest point total of the season so far. Yet we're 2-3. We had 515 yards of offense against Toledo and only scored 10 points (first time that has happened in college football in 10 years).

I don't think we're great, but I don't think we're terrible. We have lost to two ranked and undefeated teams and another who has played two top 5 teams already and nearly beat one. Obviously not expecting to win this game but I think we can beat Auburn and Missouri at home and maybe scratch out one more to make a bowl before the season is over.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Arkansas hasn't had a kind friend in the scheduler the last few years. The Toledo loss was kinda inexcusable but the other two losses are in that "quality loss" territory. WPS brings up a good point though, this Arkansas team has been rather competent in the passing game so it isn't just "stop the run and get the win" with them. I do believe that if our DL can negate the run game that it will be pretty dang hard for them to win without a game-of-his-career from Brandon Allen though. Can't just completely ignore that Allen has shown the ability to make passes against man coverage consistently this year whereas he was more of a crapshoot in 2014.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Say what you want, I think Brandon Allen can be inconsident on the field at times this year. They havent scored more than 20 points against good teams this year.

Their D isn't the same from last year. Theyre holding teams under 25 points, which isnt bad, but I don't think they can do the same against us. I know Arkansas is throwing ball little more this year, but I would expect turnovers to be factor in this game. Their Passing D is suspect. I can see us scoring 35 points on them, while holding them under 15 points. If you watch the arkansas game against tenn, Allen struggled, completing 45 percent of his passes. HE can throw... But I see his weakness.. I don't think he's a gamechanger. So we might do what we did this past weekend with Lambert.. take away the run game, and force Allen to throw a lot. I like how it will works for us. Notice he's not really throwing lot of explosive plays...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We've been a hard team to figure out. Alex Collins is 8th in the country in rushing, Brandon Allen is 18th in passing, and our defense has held each opponent to their lowest point total of the season so far. Yet we're 2-3. We had 515 yards of offense against Toledo and only scored 10 points (first time that has happened in college football in 10 years).

I don't think we're great, but I don't think we're terrible. We have lost to two ranked and undefeated teams and another who has played two top 5 teams already and nearly beat one. Obviously not expecting to win this game but I think we can beat Auburn and Missouri at home and maybe scratch out one more to make a bowl before the season is over.
Really Dude?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They haven't had the dominating rushing game they had last season - they're averaging 204 ypg rushing (Bama is averaging 200 ypg), but they're passing pretty well (272 ypg).

Arky is scoring 25.8 ppt and allowing 22.4 ppg.
Bama is scoring 36.2 ppt and allowing 16 ppg - against much tougher competition.

I don't see Arky rushing well against this D.
THIS!!!! Allen is going to have to step up big in order to beat us.. and I can't see him doing that. I expect him to have 2 ints by the time we're done with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.