Trouble on Rocky Top

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seems like our enemy to the North earned one of these threads too. I was going to post about the "Butch Jones punched a player and the teammates didn't appreciate it" rumor that has been circulating but thought better of just copy and pasting internet rumors. Then Butch Jones responded to them today (denying it) and I figured that gave it the weight worthy to post on here.

Talk about a hype machine falling apart quick. Still kinda worried about the Volunteer wounded animal coming into Tuscaloosa at the end of the month but they might be a complete wreck by then.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He's already lost Clay Travis, and considering how much of a Tennessee homer he is that's saying something at this juncture. Butch will probably get a fourth year but he will have absolutely no wiggle room next season and unless he wins 9 games(which I don't see happening) he will be fired.

Last edited:

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
It seems like I can recall 3-4 games in the past few years where the Vols almost won, and then lost right at the end.

And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Don't know if it is coaching or depth but they seem to be plagued with what killed us during many of the Shula years - failure to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They are still a young team with not much depth and they have a few key people banged up. Could still be dangerous. They have a mobile QB. :eek:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Don't know if it is coaching or depth but they seem to be plagued with what killed us during many of the Shula years - failure to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a fair assessment IMO. I would add that Butch has actually recruited well but it does not seem to be showing on the field. He may need to shake up his staff and go get more guys that can actually teach and coach as opposed to just recruit. Losing BOTH the Florida and Oklahoma games already had him in hot water with Tennessee fans--everything that happens after that will only increase the pressure on him and frankly I just don't see him getting it done.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A UT alum I know said the "dust up" with a player (he said he didn't know which one. He though it was a lineman) occurred back during fall camp. Said he heard it was more of Jones pushing him around as opposed to actually throwing a punch.

He thinks the rumor of a "punch" got thrown out there due to frustration of this season by Vol fans that want a reason to see him gone.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just tend to believe that any SEC or P5 opponent we play is dangerous. They will have some players and they stand between us and our goals.

I wish I could find that graphic of "Butch Jones wins at Tennessee"...it literally looks no different than Derek Dooley's resume.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, I get to live up here with them. They are not all off the bus yet, but they are lining up at the exits.

After the Oklahoma loss there was a lot of talk about the Sooners being a good team, Butch will get things cleaned up/learn his lesson/focus on finishing, etc. This week, a lot of it is "we blew a lead to a not-very-good Arkansas team, something needs to change."

If Georgia goes to Knoxville on Saturday and beats them, which I think they will, it's going to be an ugly bye week for Butch. I hate how that game falls on our schedule, the week after A&M, who are off this Saturday, we get UcheaT, which will also have an off week. Butch may view that game as trying to save his job. Of course, if UGA blows them out, which Richt now will have motivation to do, Butch may lose this team.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The Jon Gruden to Tennessee rumors have already started from their fan base.......I'm shocked......
Well, Gruden did buy a Diet Coke at a Stuckey's in Kingsport once, so clearly he has a special place in his heart for Tennessee. I think this rumor has legs. :wink:

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Quick bits of trivia...

Bama has beaten Tennessee 8 straight times by an average score of 35-12.
Bama was ranked #1 or #2 in five of those games. #4 and #7 in two others.

Florida has beaten Tennessee 11 straight times.
Tennessee has only beaten Florida 19 times in the entire series and only 6 times since 1976.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wish I could find that graphic of "Butch Jones wins at Tennessee"...it literally looks no different than Derek Dooley's resume.
Here are the numbers:

CDD:
2010: 6-7
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7 (3-2 after five games)
Total after five games of third season: 14-16

CBJ:
2013: 5-7
2014: 7-6
2015: 2-3
Total after five games of third season: 14-16

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Here's the list of powerhouses CBJ has defeated so far:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Quick bits of trivia...

Bama has beaten Tennessee 8 straight times by an average score of 35-12.
Bama was ranked #1 or #2 in five of those games. #4 and #7 in two others.

Florida has beaten Tennessee 11 straight times.
Tennessee has only beaten Florida 19 times in the entire series and only 6 times since 1976.
Of course, Bama has beaten TN 11 straight before as well....

Also, TN didn't play FL very much until they began playing every year in 1990.

Last edited:

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
That's a fair assessment IMO. I would add that Butch has actually recruited well but it does not seem to be showing on the field. He may need to shake up his staff and go get more guys that can actually teach and coach as opposed to just recruit. Losing BOTH the Florida and Oklahoma games already had him in hot water with Tennessee fans--everything that happens after that will only increase the pressure on him and frankly I just don't see him getting it done.
True, but it is very difficult to lure good assistant coaches when you are standing on such a slippery slope. No prospective assistant coach wants to go there and end up going down with Butch's ship, which seems probable at this point. Anyway, all I care about is beating them in a few weeks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.