Pick the score: Arkansas vs. Alabama

Harmless

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2015
Franklin, TN
I'd say the range of scoring possibilities for Alabama is 21-35 with Arkansas in the range of 0-17.

Hogs have held all opponents well below their season averages in points. First question is how much damage Brandon Allen can do through the air. Last year in a less effective scheme, Allen was 21-40 for 246 yards against the Tide.

Second question is whether the Razorbacks can run the football at all. Chubb-Michel-Marshall were 30-205. Not exactly shut down. The Bulldogs' ineptitude at quarterback doomed them.

Alabama is just like Arkansas in that -- if the QB matchup is favorable, the Tide's home free. If not ... see the case of Chad Kelly v. University of Alabama. Main difference here is that the Hogs lack any receivers as good as Treadwell, Core and Adeboyejo. Without players who can get open in the red zone, the Hogs march up there and fall flat.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd say the range of scoring possibilities for Alabama is 21-35 with Arkansas in the range of 0-17.

Hogs have held all opponents well below their season averages in points. First question is how much damage Brandon Allen can do through the air. Last year in a less effective scheme, Allen was 21-40 for 246 yards against the Tide.

Second question is whether the Razorbacks can run the football at all. Chubb-Michel-Marshall were 30-205. Not exactly shut down. The Bulldogs' ineptitude at quarterback doomed them.

Alabama is just like Arkansas in that -- if the QB matchup is favorable, the Tide's home free. If not ... see the case of Chad Kelly v. University of Alabama. Main difference here is that the Hogs lack any receivers as good as Treadwell, Core and Adeboyejo. Without players who can get open in the red zone, the Hogs march up there and fall flat.
Yes, they had 30 rushes for 205 yards, which is a 6.8 yard per carry average. Take away the 83 yard rush late in the game when it was already 38-3, you get 29 rushes for 122 yards, which averages out to be 4.2 yards per rush.

Consider that shut down?

Harmless

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 3, 2015
Franklin, TN
Yes, they had 30 rushes for 205 yards, which is a 6.8 yard per carry average. Take away the 83 yard rush late in the game when it was already 38-3, you get 29 rushes for 122 yards, which averages out to be 4.2 yards per rush.

Consider that shut down?
No. I'd be ecstatic if the Hogs could break 4 yards per carry against this defense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Without players who can get open in the red zone, the Hogs march up there and fall flat.
This is a key point. Look at Arkansas' offensive yardage. They move the ball well between the 30s. But they just can't score when they get in close. I'm not sure what they need to do to correct that, but Alabama's defense isn't the kind of defense that you want to go experimenting against.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
In 5 games we've scored 35, 37, 37, 34, 38....

Arkansas has given up 13, 16, 35, 28, 20......

I'm guessing 38 is about right......

Plus - if Toledo can hold them to 12.....I think we can do at least 2 points better.

38 to 10....Bama!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I don't think last year's game is much of a measuring stick. We had lost Kelly and Drake, just been upset by Mississippi, and the weather was a cold, wet mess. None of that should be true this year. I think our DBs now are better than what we put on the field last year as a unit, though I think they have improved some at the QB position. They gain a lot of yards but don't complete drives for points, which is odd because their o-line looks solid on paper. Unless Alabama just mails it in, which I hope and expect our coaches and senior leaders are addressing, or goes back to turning it over 5-6 times, we should win pretty comfortably.

38-13.

I'd prefer it if we could just boat race them and give the starters some rest before going to College Station, but I think it more likely that we pull away in the second half.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.