Batted Balls

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
By my count we have not had a game where we didn't bat down at least 3 this season, but I haven't seen official numbers, anyone have them?

should this D-Line retake the Redwood Forrest name from a bygone era?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We've batted so many this season that it doesn't surprise me anymore when it happens. Before the year is over I bet we'll see some of these intercepted.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Did you know lot of players on DL used to play basketball? That truly helped a lot with their ability to jump. Reggie Ragland was outstanding basketball player for Bob Jones ... was a beast on the board. He can jump real high. Reed, Allen used to play as well.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It is pretty astounding how many balls we have batted down this year.

I've watched entire seasons of football without seeing as many as we have batted down in the first 5 games. It's insane.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I"m speechless too. We're doing it consistently every game. I like this new wrinkle even through we've been doing that for a while.

Downside to it, if our man jumps, he lose his edge and QB could break out for run.... But Luckily, we havent seen anything like that.

Story back in April on D-line
http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...fensive-line-is-strength-of-the-team-36656250

Ragland frustrated that they getting all that love, and Ragland wants some piece of that ! LOL

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
By my count we have not had a game where we didn't bat down at least 3 this season, but I haven't seen official numbers, anyone have them?

should this D-Line retake the Redwood Forrest name from a bygone era?
Taking a look at cfbstats.com it looks like we have 13 passes broken up by our DL* for the season. CLICK HERE

When you look at passes broken up by game we average between 6 and 7 per game. We had 7 in Athens and I don't believe that counts INTs. CLICK HERE

*NOTE: There may have been times when a LB was lined up as a DE and batted a pass...so that may increase the number.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I think it was Darren Lake that Gary and Verne were quoting about how they were batting down so many balls this year. Basically said he watches the qb and when he throws the ball he just raises his hands. Classic!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That has helped the DB's SOO much this year so far. Just think about how many of those passes might go for completions if they don't get batted down at the LOS. Keep up the good work D-Line!!!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Taking a look at cfbstats.com it looks like we have 13 passes broken up by our DL* for the season. CLICK HERE

When you look at passes broken up by game we average between 6 and 7 per game. We had 7 in Athens and I don't believe that counts INTs. CLICK HERE

*NOTE: There may have been times when a LB was lined up as a DE and batted a pass...so that may increase the number.
I am watching the replay and just heard GD say we had 13 coming into the game. - so now up to 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I think it was Darren Lake that Gary and Verne were quoting about how they were batting down so many balls this year. Basically said he watches the qb and when he throws the ball he just raises his hands. Classic!
Yea, they said it was Tomlinson (because he has several by himself) that said it....that is a funny comment.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
How about them there batted balls? Turning into an art form.
Our guys with their hands up makes QB's have to loft the ball. I love to see the ball swatted down, it spells Three and Out... I'm old school and love Defense. Hands up and in their face causes many good thing to happen for us. My favorite games are when we put the QB under heavy pressure. More good thing happen for us then too...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.