1993 Sugar Bowl Post-Game Coverage

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Today I posted 1993 Sugar Bowl post-game coverage on You Tube. (You know how inconsistent they are). The first portion (pre-game) did not upload, I'm working on it. But there are four videos that are about 12 minutes long that have coverage from ESPN, CNN, and various media outlets. For those who were around especially you might enjoy.

The only prominent member of the media to pick us to win (other than voter Corky Simpson) was Norm Hitchkiss. That gets a mention. Here's a preview of what's there:

Folwer, Corso, and James
Tim Brando (with hair and smiling like he enjoyed it)
CNN Headline News update (at :20 and :50 past the hour)
Coverage of the other bowl games does occur but is minimal
CNN College Football Preview (Tom Kirkland and Paul Crane)
Jay Barker saying how good it felt to shut them up

(Don't know how long it will stay but enjoy it)

They're numbered 2 to 5.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Was the 1989 game a big reason that Miami got a lot of love or was it just because they convinced everyone they were god's gift to college football.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Was the 1989 game a big reason that Miami got a lot of love or was it just because they convinced everyone they were god's gift to college football.
At the core, it was the same logic that leads to Baylor and TCU being anointed today.

Lots of offense. Lacking defense, especially against smashmouth philosophies. Lots of media with calluses on their knees from "fawning" over endless yards, points, and attitude. Until they got unmasked by someone who knew how.

Difference between then and now is that @&((.$;&: lineman downfield rule.

But the talking heads and ink-stained wretches of today are so devoid of critical thinking processes, they don't notice. Or, they're so heavily compensated on clicks, they pander to the lowest common denominator among talk show callers. And that, my crimson brethren, is low indeed.

And they wonder why they get no respect, except from the Tammys and Phyllises and I-mans and Legends of the cesspool.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I think if you go back and look there was a lot more NFL talent on the Miami team than ours... but we had a defense that could have stopped the Patriots that night (the 92-93 Pats were horrible) and the dome was deafening with Bama fans. Other than the Florida game in 05 I've never heard anything louder. But even riding to the game I remember the discussion was around how bad we'd lose instead of how good our chances were. Two friends of mine made a bet to shave their heads if we won.... and they promptly shaved either that night or shortly after.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
One of the best times I've ever had at a Bama game. What a great season that was. It's a memory for the ages. Thanks for posting.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
The last NC game that I attended. I had so much fun that week in NOLA. The Miami fans were taunting and talking trash all week. That was one great game.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Great memories. I was in the Superdome that night and we didn't go back to our hotel until the next afternoon. I had about 40 of the plastic cups from the game that I collected in the bleachers, but I don't know where I stashed them now. We had to spend about 2 hours in Cafe Du Monde knocking back black coffee and warm beignets before we could see straight.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I the background I can distinctly hear a good friend of mine leading a celebratory cheer. They later got started chanting "Corso, Corso, Corso" while the postgame broadcast was going on. Good times.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Yes, the Miami fans were talking trash everyday before the game but the "Roll Tides" after the game were all you could hear.
As we entered our hotel that night a Miami fan took a tumble on the stairs and many Bama fans rushed to help. The incredulous stares from him and his companions were hilarious. They couldn't believe we would be concerned. The next morning none of them were anywhere in sight. Even the bumper to bumper traffic back on I-10 was fun!

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
During pregame, I was playing trumpet on the field for the MDB, and the 1993 Sugar Bowl was the only time that the crowd was so loud I couldn't hear the trumpet players on either side of me. I had to watch the drum major just to keep time for once. It was an awesome experience!

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I was there w/ my Pa-in-Law. Fantastic memories! (Note: while I scored huge son-in-law points that night, I dropped way back in Husband/Dad points, as mrs. exiled stayed home with our then 3- & 5-yr-old kids. ;) )

[Aside: Thanks for these clips; all the more special since my Pa-in-Law's faith became sight about 3.5 weeks ago. He had played college football @ East Ms CC in Scooba, but his playing days were interrupted when the Korean War broke out. He & his teammates all dropped out & enlisted in the Nat'l Guard. So, one Fall he was working on his blocking assignments in east MS; the next, he was a front-line combat medic in Korea. One of MANY reasons I was/am in awe of Papa.]

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.