Link: Saban goes off at press conference

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be fair, I think this message had multiple levels:

1) He wants to build the "bunker down" mentality within the team

2) He wants to let the team know that the media proclaims teams like Arkansas dead all the time and you know they're wrong due to your own experience...so don't take them lightly.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Glad I read the Suttle's Tweets. The local reporters have a job to do and Coach S. should be more tolerant in my opinion.
No he shouldn't. These guys are all going down the road of sensationalizing everything to the point of it all becomes just noise. When they bury and praise teams just days apart it is ridiculous. There is no perspective at all. The national guys do it and it leaks down to the local guys as well. I heard people saying Bama's the best team in the country today. These same people were killing them and declaring Bama "dead" after Ole Miss. What changed so much in a few days. I'll tell you what nothing. Anyone with a brain that watched that game knew Ole Miss was gifted that game on a silver platter. We all but Into it. They just want clicks, ears, and eyes. They are all trying to be characters not journalists or analysts. I don't care if Saban lays into them everyday. I do agree that there was a message for the team in all of that, but he was sending a message to the press as well but it will fall on deaf ears as they write their next WWE style promo they think they can deliver and then "drop the mic". I ate lunch at a sports bar today and almost couldn't eat marveling at what those talking head goofs were doing singing Bama's praises. I'm with Saban they can all stick it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The truth is somewhere in between. I'm not going to act like I knew all along that we'd win in Athens. I think my pick was 24-14 UGA. I didn't make ridiculous proclamations that we're done winning big games under Saban. Didn't think this season was going to be as good as we prefer (and it still might not be) but I still believed championships were possible in 2016 and beyond.

Lets remember this old axiom: if the headline ends in a question mark then the answer is usually no. So "Is the Saban era of dominance over?" kinda answered itself without you even clicking on the full article. :D

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Saw it on Finebaum....thought it was great!

IMHO if CNS goes off on someone....you can pretty well bet they deserved it!

As to those on this forum.....to be honest...I was impressed on how well (most) everyone took the loss and kept everything in perspective.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Glad I read the Suttle's Tweets. The local reporters have a job to do and Coach S. should be more tolerant in my opinion.
Like Suttle said, there was a reason he said what he said and the way he said it! It, I think, was to get his players totally focused on those wild hogs. He knows Arkansas is better than their record. And you don't take anyone lightly.

This is just part of The Process! The media was also processed! Actually, I think Saban did everything he could not to smile. He knew that he had sent his intended message.

Those Hogs put their pants on one leg at a time and that Hog OL has some very BIG pants. The Hog's DL Flowers and that other DL from Alabama are gone this year, right, I hope!

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
The press is a double-headed snake. One minute they are trying to charm you while the next they are biting you. There is no accountability anymore (not that there was a whole lot years ago) and it's nice to see someone like Saban getting in their whiskers from time to time.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I was giggling a little the whole time watching the full interview, when he informed the next questioner to be careful I lost it completely. Love it.

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
I personally think that was a jerk move and he even if Saban's rant wasn't directed towards that reporter... How reporters tolerate being blasted like that and sitting there with their tails between their legs is beyond me!!

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
In my opinion, if Saban didn't feel real good about this team & it's chances, I don't think he would have gone on like that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I personally think that was a jerk move and he even if Saban's rant wasn't directed towards that reporter... How reporters tolerate being blasted like that and sitting there with their tails between their legs is beyond me!!
The local guys made it clear after the press conference they weren't offended or hurt by his comments. They know what Saban was doing, so they didn't take it personal. They know his routine by now.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I loved the palpable thick silence in the middle of his rant as reporters were clearly taken aback and probably drawing lines through most of their questions on their notepads.

And, Coach Saban clearly knows that his players read what the reporters write, and he rightfully so is angry about writers writing a 3-1 Alabama team off that lost on a fluke play by a touchdown to a top 20 team in September the team is still deciding on a new quarterback. I'm sure he was thinking much more vulgar things than he was saying. Sometimes we all forget these are boys maturing into men, many of whom are from awful home situations that have only been rarely been given a chance in anything except on the football field. It's easy to write crap without knowing about or even watching the team play more than a few snaps. :0)

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Seriously?????????????

Ahhh yeah... I'm dead serious... Do you mean to tell me that you would just sit there and get blasted like that?? I don't always agree with the media, but why not direct it towards the offending parties? That reporter's questions WAS NOT an unreasonable one... If anyone really believes that his question was a bad one, then you're blinded by hero worship of CNS...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.