Duke Williams kicked off the team

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Auburn THUG. Given another chance, failed to stay out of trouble.
Gus cut his losses...

The shame of it all is big money and a NFL career could be his future... He has all the tools, but can't stay out of trouble.
Some NFL team will pick him up for peanuts. Running with the 'Home Boys' and fighting in bars will keep him from making it in the pro's, unless he can learn, and turn it around. So far he hasn't been inclined to change his ways.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
We were in Auburn for parent's weekend (Homecoming game) and the general consensus in "tent city" (the big donor area) is that the season is OVAH. Our friends were giving away their club level seats and they watched the game on the TV under their tent. I remember telling my husband as we were walking around the campus how DESERTED the place was. Alabama's homecoming game is usually PACKED, regardless of our record at the time. AU fans are the most "fair-weather" fans I have ever encountered. Basically, the best thing about Auburn right now is the lemonade at Toomer's. ;)

Is Malzahn the problem? Seems like he has no control of this program. LOL, that's just fine with me. :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
We were in Auburn for parent's weekend (Homecoming game) and the general consensus in "tent city" (the big donor area) is that the season is OVAH. Our friends were giving away their club level seats and they watched the game on the TV under their tent. I remember telling my husband as we were walking around the campus how DESERTED the place was. Alabama's homecoming game is usually PACKED, regardless of our record at the time. AU fans are the most "fair-weather" fans I have ever encountered. Basically, the best thing about Auburn right now is the lemonade at Toomer's. ;)

Is Malzahn the problem? Seems like he has no control of this program. LOL, that's just fine with me. :)
I have a 3rd grade daughter that turned 9 today. I would die if she went to au. Don't know how you do it. LOL

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I have a 3rd grade daughter that turned 9 today. I would die if she went to au. Don't know how you do it. LOL
It took me 4 years to grieve (she turned into a barner in 9th grade, thanks to her boyfriend). Now, I am just happy that she is happy. Auburn is an hour and 20 minutes from my house so visiting her is something that can be done in a day if needed. I also enjoy several great restaurants there and the shopping isn't bad either. Haha. I will always HATE Auburn sports, especially football. Walking around the campus on game day, made me especially uncomfortable. My husband was laughing at me because I was dressed in all black, with my red elephant bracelets, and houndstooth hair tie on my wrist. It wasn't like I was a screaming billboard for Bama! But, I still felt like I was in enemy territory because I was. ;) Sunday, I did wear my ALABAMA sweatshirt while we ate and shopped downtown. It was GREAT!! haha!

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
It took me 4 years to grieve (she turned into a barner in 9th grade, thanks to her boyfriend). Now, I am just happy that she is happy. Auburn is an hour and 20 minutes from my house so visiting her is something that can be done in a day if needed. I also enjoy several great restaurants there and the shopping isn't bad either. Haha. I will always HATE Auburn sports, especially football. Walking around the campus on game day, made me especially uncomfortable. My husband was laughing at me because I was dressed in all black, with my red elephant bracelets, and houndstooth hair tie on my wrist. It wasn't like I was a screaming billboard for Bama! But, I still felt like I was in enemy territory because I was. ;) Sunday, I did wear my ALABAMA sweatshirt while we ate and shopped downtown. It was GREAT!! haha!
My wife and I have already instilled the "cannot date a barner boy" with our 10 year old. She makes fun of aubarn as much as we do. I hope and pray she doesn't waiver from that. ;)

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
Apparently he was a tough kid from a tougher place and he just couldn't stop beating the crap out of anyone who looked at him sideways. Most recently sent a 7' cageball player of Pearl's to the hospital. Should have left last year but the coaches knew they needed him and prob thought he could benefit from another year in the bucolic Plains away from the war-zone in which he was "raised". He's one of those guys who "never had a chance", filled with so much rage that he excelled on the field and made all the coaches sympathize and want to help him. Sad story.
I hear this all the time. They never had a chance. Sure he had a chance. He was given a full ride scholarship to make a better living for himself. I am tired of all the sympathy these players receive. They are legally adults and being raised in a rough neighborhood is not an excuse. Maybe one day coaches will get a clue and stop recruiting thugs who just .... away these scholarships.
I will get off my soap box now.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

If they want to give away their club level seats on November 28 let me know :cool:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I hear this all the time. They never had a chance. Sure he had a chance. He was given a full ride scholarship to make a better living for himself. I am tired of all the sympathy these players receive. They are legally adults and being raised in a rough neighborhood is not an excuse. Maybe one day coaches will get a clue and stop recruiting thugs who just .... away these scholarships.
I will get off my soap box now.
The problem is you never know how much or if a person will GROW UP after leaving the travesty of a home life they have suffered through. It would be FAR worse not to give some of these ridiculously talented athletes a chance to get their life together, then to give them a year or two to learn what it means to be an adult with responsibility. He's been at AU for over three years now, so it's not like he flamed out his freshman year like some do.

But, you are correct in one way that you cannot build an entire team of kids from broken homes, as you need some kids that are very well grounded coming into your team to be the example and be older mentors to the younger kids.

And, finally, sometimes a person has to lose what they value most to realize what's important to them and straighten themselves out. There's several people in my family in that category, but they can't catch footballs and run a 4.5 forty.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I too was baffled that he returned. He already had discipline troubles, he was projected to go 1-2 round in the draft and he made clear overtures he wanted to leave. Many draft experts had him going before Coates.

My gut feeling is he was either paid to come back, threatened in some way to come back, or was just begged to come back with the promise of not having to practice, special perks etc and that he would get 10-15 catches a game and improve his draft stock to top 10.

I think it was obvious Duke regretted coming back before the season started.

I agree that dismissal now is convenient for CGM to show he is in charge and a strong disciplinarian.
It won't change the outcome of any games.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The problem is you never know how much or if a person will GROW UP after leaving the travesty of a home life they have suffered through. It would be FAR worse not to give some of these ridiculously talented athletes a chance to get their life together, then to give them a year or two to learn what it means to be an adult with responsibility. He's been at AU for over three years now, so it's not like he flamed out his freshman year like some do.

But, you are correct in one way that you cannot build an entire team of kids from broken homes, as you need some kids that are very well grounded coming into your team to be the example and be older mentors to the younger kids.

And, finally, sometimes a person has to lose what they value most to realize what's important to them and straighten themselves out. There's several people in my family in that category, but they can't catch footballs and run a 4.5 forty.
As the parent of adopted children, (biological grandchildren) one of which suffers from mental illness and emotional distress due to abandonment issues, the highlighted sentence above couldn't be more spot on! Sometimes they need multiple opportunities to realize what they have is the best thing for them. Don't throw the mutinous one overboard immediately. Sometimes they need to have the plank before them to understand. I hope this is the case with Williams.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

No, I don't think he has control of the program. I don't think Chizik ever did either. Maybe Tuberville did at one time, but they hijacked it from him. By "they" I'm not sure who I mean. I just think there are influential forces down there that run that athletic department and it's sole existence (for their purposes, anyway) is to beat Alabama in football. Everything else is secondary. I don't think they can do it by beating us straight up as long as Nick Saban is here. They don't have the resources. So, they are reduced to taking short cuts. And those work out for a year or so in a really explosive way. But there is no substance to them, no foundation is present. So, when key folks graduate or leave, the house of cards tumbles to the ground.

Malzahn's system isn't built to last. It requires way too much from one or two positions on the team. That's the issue in the micro. In the macro, the problem is the folks who hire folks like Malzahn in the first place. JMO, of course.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Malzahn's system isn't built to last. It requires way too much from one or two positions on the team. That's the issue in the micro. In the macro, the problem is the folks who hire folks like Malzahn in the first place. JMO, of course.
I don't think the problem is that it isn't built to last - I think that the problem is that it is going to produce wildly inconsistent results. With the right players, his offensive system is almost unstoppable. Without the right people, it is a train wreck. And by "people", I really mean 2 players - QB & RB, though it also requires a legit deep threat at WR.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think the problem is that it isn't built to last - I think that the problem is that it is going to produce wildly inconsistent results. With the right players, his offensive system is almost unstoppable. Without the right people, it is a train wreck. And by "people", I really mean 2 players - QB & RB, though it also requires a legit deep threat at WR.
That's what I mean by built to last. If your system produces wildly inconsistent results, it's not a system that's made for the long haul. It's a system that will get you beat more often than not, and it will get you fired.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL

The older generation keep comparing Malzahn's offense to the wishbone. They said when it started it was unstoppable. After a few years coaches figured how to defend it. That is what is happening with Auburn, Oregon, and others. I can't speak from experience because the wishbone was before my time.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
A friend put this on FB this morning: Really looking forward to getting my official Duke Williams, Saskatchewan Roughrider jersey...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The older generation keep comparing Malzahn's offense to the wishbone. They said when it started it was unstoppable. After a few years coaches figured how to defend it. That is what is happening with Auburn, Oregon, and others. I can't speak from experience because the wishbone was before my time.
I don't think the spread offense has been "figured out."

Oregon doesn't have a QB; Auburn doesn't have a QB. The system is not hard on the quarterback position mentally - tons of easy 1-read decisions - but if the QB can't do all the things necessary to make it work then it looks like garbage. Turns out this offense isn't just plug n' play at QB. That is the big takeaway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.