Duke Williams kicked off the team

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think the spread offense has been "figured out."

Oregon doesn't have a QB; Auburn doesn't have a QB. The system is not hard on the quarterback position mentally - tons of easy 1-read decisions - but if the QB can't do all the things necessary to make it work then it looks like garbage. Turns out this offense isn't just plug n' play at QB. That is the big takeaway.
I think that it's starting to be figured out, but if Marshall was still at Auburn they would be much better. Same with Mariota and ZeOregon.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
FWIW, I think this is a step in the right direction for the API locker room, though it's probably too late to help much this year.

Part of what Gus (and Oregon) are struggling with is that you need a fast Heisman level QB to make the system really go. Those are harder to come by, develop, and keep healthy than it sounds like. You can't just plug any 4-star QB recruit into that system and be guaranteed success. The other problem for it is that the officials are enforcing the rules and handling it differently. You don't see those overweight zebras running around like Keystone Kops just because Gus and Cam are hollering at them to hurry up. They are mostly enforcing the rule about allowing the D to substitute and get into position if the O does. They are even at least trying to watch QB over the LOS and Linemen downfield on pass attempts. If you go back and watch a replay of how those games were officiated during Cam's year versus this year, you'll see the differences pretty quickly.

Defenses have clearly adjusted. D coordinators have clued into the fact that first down is so critical. Get them behind the sticks on first down and they are in trouble. Also, the successful play / immediate repetition has been sniffed out. There are other Xs and Os.

With the right QB you can be competitive at the highest level with what they are doing, but not like a few years ago when it was brand new and you only saw it once a season.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
that should free up the payroll cap a little...
Oh no, all of the fired employees are still on the payroll. The barn is like the "Hotel California".

"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

You thought Tubs was in Cincinnati? Nope, here he is at the "Walk" last Saturday (San Jose State).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the local show here in Montgomery, Duke got into multiple fights over the last few months. The fight Saturday night occurred at an establishment that had banned him from attending. Gus had also banned Duke from visiting the establishment.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Oh no, all of the fired employees are still on the payroll. The barn is like the "Hotel California".

But you can never leave!

You thought Tubs was in Cincinnati? Nope, here he is at the "Walk" last Saturday (San Jose State).

That kid in the foreground creeps me out, like an aub Norman Bates :pDT_fkr:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
That's what I mean by built to last. If your system produces wildly inconsistent results, it's not a system that's made for the long haul. It's a system that will get you beat more often than not, and it will get you fired.
"The same things win as have always won" Coach Paul Bryant

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

TUCKER TUBERVILLE

Class:
Senior
Hometown:
Auburn, Ala.
High School:
Frenship (Texas)
Last College:
Texas Tech
Height / Weight:
6-0 / 192
Position:
QB
Major:
Finance

2014 | Did not see action for the Tigers ... SEC Academic Honor Roll and Academic Top Tiger2013 | Did not play for the SEC Champions while sitting out as a transfer ... SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll
2012/Texas Tech | Redshirted at Texas Tech, where his father was head football coach
High School | Ranked No. 126 by MaxPreps among Texas High School preps... helped lead Frenship High School to a 10-1 overall record in 2011 with a perfect 7-0 record in league play... named the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal City Player of the Week (10/25/11) completing 11-of-16 passes for 210 yards with a touchdown while adding three rushing touchdowns... played in the 2012 ASCO West Texas Football Classic... connected on one touchdown pass in the ASCO Classic with 4-of-8 completions... also competed in basketball ... High School Coach: Brad Davis ... played at Lee-Scott Academy when his father was head coach at Auburn
Personal | Birthday is May 26 ... son of Tommy and Suzanne Tuberville ... has one brother, Troy ... father is currently head football coach at Cincinnati; was Auburn's head coach from 1999-2008 ... Major at Auburn: Finance

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

But you can never leave!

I'm trying to figure out what Tubbs is doing here. It looks like he is pointing at Malzahn like, "you the man, Malzahn." Very weird.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I'm trying to figure out what Tubbs is doing here. It looks like he is pointing at Malzahn like, "you the man, Malzahn." Very weird.
What we don't know is who else is around. His son may be close to the front of the line and he was pointing at him. Hard to say without any context - but it has been fun to make up stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I hate to hear about Williams getting kicked off the team seems like a typical fambly member to me. It is sad when you get kicked of that team you have to really screw up. Oh well they will grab a guy from Georgia or Florida that has been kicked off there team to replace him.

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
Ask yourself this question, If the barn was 5-0 right now do you think he would have been kicked off the team?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Ask yourself this question, If the barn was 5-0 right now do you think he would have been kicked off the team?
I think so. From what I am hearing the fact that he was not cut before the season surprised almost everyone in the know. He was on a ridiculously short leash, and had been tugging at the leash all season. I keep hearing that everyone on the coaching staff were at their wits end with him, and that the bar fight was just a good reason to do what they all wanted to do already. Like someone said earlier if it hadn't been for Craig he wouldn't have lasted this long. A lot of this was rumor, but I don't think it is anymore.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...He was on a ridiculously short leash, and had been tugging at the leash all season.
A short leash with a very long and wide catch radius for "penitence" if the Cow College were 5-0 and had somebody capable of flinging the ol' pigskin cow patties to him.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
A short leash with a very long and wide catch radius for "penitence" if the Cow College were 5-0 and had somebody capable of flinging the ol' pigskin cow patties to him.
The problem is that in addition to being a problem off of the field, he was not competing when the ball wasn't coming to him. It is all hypothetical of course. There is a fair amount (and it may actually be somewhat accurate) of people blaming how bad Johnson played partly on Williams. Taking plays off, not blocking, not competing when the ball isn't coming your way, and not working to help your QB when he is in trouble. I am not going to go back and watch Auburn game film even if you pay me, but the complaints were happening even when they were undefeated. Some are saying this is why CGM made the QB completion comments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.