Last Worst Home Loss for Georgia?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Not only did our guys inflict the worst home loss for Georgia of the Mark Richt era, it's the worst one in a generation. This got me thinking---Was it 9/30/95 against us 31-0? That's what I was thinking, but college football data warehouse says that Florida beat them 52-17 that year in Athens exactly 4 weeks later. I thought the cocktail party was always played in Jacksonville--maybe somebody with a good memory can recall better than I can....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
college football data warehouse says that Florida beat them 52-17 that year in Athens exactly 4 weeks later. I thought the cocktail party was always played in Jacksonville--maybe somebody with a good memory can recall better than I can....
The Gator Bowl want through upgrades so for two years they played home anthem - this was one of those years...

With Jacksonville's rebuilt Jacksonville Municipal Stadium still under construction, this traditional neutral-site showdown was held on the universities' campuses for the first time in over sixty years in 1994 and 1995. After winning at "The Swamp" the previous season, the undefeated 1995 Florida Gators hoped to repeat the feat at Sanford Stadium against a struggling Georgia Bulldogs team led by soon-to-be-fired coach Ray Goff.

Gators starting quarterback Danny Wuerffel threw for 242 yards and five touchdowns before leaving the game in the third quarter. With the Gators leading 38–17 in the fourth quarter, Gators backup quarterback Eric Kresser threw for two more touchdowns, one with 1:21 remaining, to make the final score 52–17. After the game, Gators coach Steve Spurrier stated that he had wanted to be the first opponent to hang "half a hundred" on the Bulldogs in their own stadium because "we heard no one had ever done that before." The Gators' fifty-two points remains the record for most scored against Georgia "between the hedges."

Not only did our guys inflict the worst home loss for Georgia of the Mark Richt era, it's the worst one in a generation. This got me thinking---Was it 9/30/95 against us 31-0? That's what I was thinking, but college football data warehouse says that Florida beat them 52-17 that year in Athens exactly 4 weeks later. I thought the cocktail party was always played in Jacksonville--maybe somebody with a good memory can recall better than I can....
Yeah, Jacksonville's stadium was being rebuilt so it was played in Gainesville and Athens for two years. We beat them by 31 that year and UF beat them by 35.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Had we had any offense at all in the '95 game, we would have beaten them by 50+. It was one of the worst offensive games of the Stallings era. We just happened to have a great defense and special teams.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The Gator Bowl want through upgrades so for two years they played home anthem - this was one of those years...
Thanks. That explains it. I had a lot going on in the fall of 1995 on a personal level and did not realize that situation with the gator bowl was going on at the time.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Had we had any offense at all in the '95 game, we would have beaten them by 50+. It was one of the worst offensive games of the Stallings era. We just happened to have a great defense and special teams.
Agreed. I said in another thread that it was the misleading scores I've ever seen due to the how inept our offense actually was that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.