Question about illegal batting of the ball

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Still don't understand why he didn't just fall on it. I guess he doesn't know the rule either.
I would be willing to bet that the official staring at the play on the back line didn't know the rule or its implications, either.

I just re-watched it. All Wright had to do was stand there and block access to the ball. It would have gone out of the back of the end zone in another half second without him touching it or any risk that it might touch ground on its own in the field of play and bounce back. The closest player from the other team was 10 yards away. It was going to be a touch back no matter what Wright does - as long as he doesn't "help" the ball out of the end zone.

This was a Leon Lett type of brain fart, except the officials didn't know the rule either. Had this rule been applied correctly, the team that fumbled away the game would have been rewarded for a rule that needs some refinement, IMO.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I would be willing to bet that the official staring at the play on the back line didn't know the rule or its implications, either.

I just re-watched it. All Wright had to do was stand there and block access to the ball. It would have gone out of the back of the end zone in another half second without him touching it or any risk that it might touch ground on its own in the field of play and bounce back. The closest player from the other team was 10 yards away. It was going to be a touch back no matter what Wright does - as long as he doesn't "help" the ball out of the end zone.

This was a Leon Lett type of brain fart, except the officials didn't know the rule either. Had this rule been applied correctly, the team that fumbled away the game would have been rewarded for a rule that needs some refinement, IMO.
He knew the rule.

"I have spoken to the referee [Tony Corrente]. He did not see that part of the play because that is not his area. The back judge [Greg Wilson] felt it was not an intentional act, that it was inadvertent," he added.

Dean Blandino -- Refs incorrectly handled crucial end zone call at end of Lions-Seahawks

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He knew the rule.

"I have spoken to the referee [Tony Corrente]. He did not see that part of the play because that is not his area. The back judge [Greg Wilson] felt it was not an intentional act, that it was inadvertent," he added.

Dean Blandino -- Refs incorrectly handled crucial end zone call at end of Lions-Seahawks
You are assuming because when his boss asked him, he said that. I am assuming that he was covering his posterior. No way to know which of us is correct. That is why I said it was my opinion.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
You are assuming because when his boss asked him, he said that. I am assuming that he was covering his posterior. No way to know which of us is correct. That is why I said it was my opinion.
I agree. What I wonder is whether or not it was discussed at all in the official's huddle right before the review (or maybe even during). They could still have thrown the flag after discussing it. No telling. I wasn't watching the game so I don't know in real time what I would have thought. I believe that I would have at least had a "Can he do that?" moment. I like to read the NCAA rule books every year, but I never read the NFL ones.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.