Film study: Alabama’s DBs starting to look like NFL prospects again

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was really impressed saturday at how many times the ga qb just had nowhere to go with the ball because the coverage was so good

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I think the dearth of truly elite lock-down CB recruits has hurt us the last few years, but we're finally solving that issue.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Continued improvement will be important especially with the adept TAMU receiver group right around the bend.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As usual, Murf does a good job with talking about technique and the actual game.

He's wrong right here, though.

With Saban being the premier defensive mind in the sport, and with DB being the position he made his name on, you would expect all the four- and five-star players he’s recruited to flourish like no other.
This has been the biggest misconception about Alabama's DB issues since 2012. Since the 2010 recruiting class of 5* Dee Milliner and 4*s Jon Fulton and DQ Menzie, Alabama's CB recruiting looks like this:

none

5* Cyrus Jones (rated as an ATH and spent 2012 at WR)
3* Deion Belue (JUCO)
4* Travell Dixon (JUCO and transferred prior to the season)
4* Geno Smith

4* Maurice Smith
3* Jonathon Cook (transferred this off-season)
3* Eddie Jackson (rated as a WR)

5* Tony Brown (started as a Freshman)
5* Marlon Humphrey (redshirt as a Freshman and now starting)

5* Minkah Fitzpatrick (started at nickel and become a key contributor)
4* Kendall Sheffield (not played this season)

I'm not sure where folks think Bama has been loading up on four and five-star CBs. Cyrus doesn't really count since he spent his first year at WR. If he played DB in 2012, things would have been even better last year and in 2013. The Smith boys both are playing safety now instead of CB.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As usual, Murf does a good job with talking about technique and the actual game.

This has been the biggest misconception about Alabama's DB issues since 2012. Since the 2010 recruiting class of 5* Dee Milliner and 4*s Jon Fulton and DQ Menzie, Alabama's CB recruiting looks like this:

none

3* Deion Belue (JUCO)
4* Geno Smith

4* Maurice Smith

I'm not sure where folks think Bama has been loading up on four and five-star CBs. Cyrus doesn't really count since he spent his first year at WR. If he played DB in 2012, things would have been even better last year and in 2013. The Smith boys both are playing safety now instead of CB.
Sheffield was a 5* on 2 of the top 3 recruiting sites also and is a track guy. We are going to be a lockdown secondary over the next several years.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
My take is that our DBs have been and remain vulnerable (just as every team) vs new wave spread pass-happy teams with QBs that can scramble and capable of operating their offense. Our DBs will always do good against the pro set teams as that is how we are built. Our recruiting is now changing to more versatile athletes on the DLine and backer crew to help them going forward with these types of offenses but I think our problems in the defensive backfield have been more scheme adaptation oriented rather than lack of talent. JMHO, of course.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sheffield was a 5* on 2 of the top 3 recruiting sites also and is a track guy. We are going to be a lockdown secondary over the next several years.
Meant to note I used Rivals since 247 wasn't started until 2012 or 2013. I prefer to use 247 but had to use Rivals due to going back to 2011.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

none

3* Deion Belue (JUCO)
4* Geno Smith

4* Maurice Smith

Eddie Jackson? Anthony Averett?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.