2016 DL Recruiting

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Attaching my question to this topic since it's related. Looking at our roster it's possible at worst we could lose every DT we have except for hand (unlikely) and at BEST have only three who will have ever played a college game. The two DE's we have committed for 2016 thus far don't appear to be game ready types. Kendell Jones looks ready to play but he seems more of a DT.

Do we have a line on any top JuCo DE's who could come in and play in 2016????

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I took this out of the Hall thread, so we can discuss the DL recruiting and keep the other thread about Hall.

First, returning DL after this season:

OJ Smith
Daron Payne
Joshua Frazier
Da'Shawn Hand
Dalvin Tomlinson
Johnny Dwight

I did not include Jonathan Allen since it seems likely he would be a high draft pick.

Second, returning OLBs next season:

Ryan Anderson
Adonis Thomas
Keith Holcombe
Mekhi Brown
Rashaan Evans
Tim Williams
Christian Miller

Now, here are some of Bama's top targets on the DL according to BOL:

Rashan Gray, DT
Dexter Lawrence, DT
Rashard Lawrence, DT
Jeffery Simmons, SDE
Terrell Hall, WDE
Lyndell "Mack" Wilson, OLB

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We will lose a lot of talent but we do have some on the roster that are very good. DE/NG is a priority in this class. Here are the returning players next year

NG: Daron Payne, Josh Frazier
DE: Da'Shawn Hand, Dalvin Tomlinson, OJ Smith

Commits: Kendall Jones, Quinnen Williams, Raekwon Davis, Khalid Kareem

Targets: Dexter Lawrence, Rashan Gary, Rasard Lawrence, Jeffrey Simmons, - 3 of 4 are 5* and Simmons is a high 4* all top 50 players

We are in best shape for Simmons and Dexter Lawrence. I am sure our staff has let these guys know how much we are losing and they have a chance for immediate playing time. I have not heard of any JUCO's but would be great to find another Jarran Reed.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Isn't it likely Kirven returns to full-time DL next season?

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see a DL grad transfer. We have seen it with QBs and WRs . . . It can happen with DL, too. Especially with playing time being available as it appears to be for 2016.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I took this out of the Hall thread, so we can discuss the DL recruiting and keep the other thread about Hall.

First, returning DL after this season:

OJ Smith
Daron Payne
Joshua Frazier
Da'Shawn Hand
Dalvin Tomlinson
Johnny Dwight

I did not include Jonathan Allen since it seems likely he would be a high draft pick.

Second, returning OLBs next season:

Ryand Anderson
Adonis Thomas
Keith Holcombe
Mekhi Brown
Rashaan Evans
Tim Williams
Christian Miller

Now, here are some of Bama's top targets on the DL according to BOL:

Rashan Gray, DT
Dexter Lawrence, DT
Rashard Lawrence, DT
Jeffery Simmons, SDE
Terrell Hall, WDE
Lyndell "Mack" Wilson, OLB
Johnny Dwight was moved to TE during the spring time. Adonis Thomas is an inside linebacker.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Johnny Dwight was moved to TE during the spring time. Adonis Thomas is an inside linebacker.
Dwight is listed as DL/TE on the team roster. He most likely will stay at TE but appears to be an emergency DL, which is why I listed him.

Adonis was recruited at OLB but is more of an Alabama ILB like you said.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Seems we are still a little short and might need some Jr College or Sr Transfer help. With an unprecidented coaching turnover going on we might have a few seniors consider a move.

I did not have OJ Smith as a DE but a nose guard. Is he a DE?

Is Anfernee Jennings a DE or LB?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems we are still a little short and might need some Jr College or Sr Transfer help. With an unprecidented coaching turnover going on we might have a few seniors consider a move.

Jennings is an OLB.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

There is coaching turnover every year including major programs. What is unprecedented about this upcoming season?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
There is coaching turnover every year including major programs. What is unprecedented about this upcoming season?
Well we are half way through the season and South Carolina and USC are both open. Arkansas SHOULD be open though I hope it's not because clearly their coach is mentally retarded. By the seasons end who knows how many power 5 teams will be open.

By the way, lost one of our only two DE commits today so we are dropping even further. I by no means think it's time to panic but I do feel we are further behind right now than we have been recently.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well we are half way through the season and South Carolina and USC are both open. Arkansas SHOULD be open though I hope it's not because clearly their coach is mentally retarded. By the seasons end who knows how many power 5 teams will be open.

By the way, lost one of our only two DE commits today so we are dropping even further. I by no means think it's time to panic but I do feel we are further behind right now than we have been recently.
Don't worry Slammer. We will close furiously and will be in the top 3 if not #1. Davis, Wilson, Lawrence, Simmons, etc. will have us moving up with a bullet.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

That was mutual. The coaches have players higher up on the board and the kid wasn't thrilled with his June commit.....so both sides decided it was best for him to look elsewhere.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Whether it be Andrew Bone or one of the 247 writers, it's apparent Alabama has plenty of options left on the board: Jeffrey Simmons, Marlon Davidson (Auburn commit), Janarius Robinson (Florida State commit), and Terrell Hall.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also watch out for 3* DE Josh White. This season is his first on the defensive side of the ball. Prior to this year, he played QB. He's 6'5, 250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.