Link: LSU-South Carolina game moved to Baton Rouge

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
How does the logistics of this work? Does the tickets get refunded to the ticket holders and do tickets get sold to LSU fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The way it's been presented here is usc will offer refunds and any profits from LSU will go to USC, so it will still count as a usc home game in terms of future SEC scheduling.

It's not a popular decision here. Area around the stadium among least damaged, but if game had to be moved why not play in Charlotte, Athens, Atlanta (GT), Raleigh, or Chapel Hill, all which have vacant stadiums this Saturday.

I wanted them to play here just for the therapy factor, this city needs a distraction. Still, it's just a game in grand scope of things, lots of damage here, road and bridge damage hard to describe. We are still having to boil water, schools are closed, another dam breeched today, just a mess.

Been one heck of a week.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The way it's been presented here is usc will offer refunds and any profits from LSU will go to USC, so it will still count as a usc home game in terms of future SEC scheduling.

It's not a popular decision here. Area around the stadium among least damaged, but if game had to be moved why not play in Charlotte, Athens, Atlanta (GT), Raleigh, or Chapel Hill, all which have vacant stadiums this Saturday.

I wanted them to play here just for the therapy factor, this city needs a distraction. Still, it's just a game in grand scope of things, lots of damage here, road and bridge damage hard to describe. We are still having to boil water, schools are closed, another dam breeched today, just a mess.

Been one heck of a week.
We all know that wile USC was playing UM in Columbia MO, it was flooding like cr azy in Columbia SC. Did the USC fb team ever get back home to SC, or are they still holed up in MO? Just curious..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's the right call.
Absolutely.

Furthermore, I'll bet the SEC office has a bit of a quandary and HAS to do this. Right now, LSU is certainly still in the running for the SEC and national titles. Oh, and they've already had ONE game cancelled earlier due to lightning that will not be made up. Since that was McNeese it doesn't really hurt LSU.

Of course - and I'm only speaking from that particular standpoint - if we were in the BCS days this would be a bigger problem as far as SOS goes. There was a game in 2001 cancelled because of 9/11 (I want to say it was Colorado and Wash St). That game actually wound up putting Nebraska in the national title game because of the whole SOS component. If Colorado had played that game and won, it would have lifted their SOS enough to put the two-loss Buffs into the title game; if they had lost, since WSU was 10-2 that year (and Oregon beat them, 24-17), it would have put Oregon in the title game against Miami.

And while this doesn't help the state of South Carolina themselves at this time, it might well be a good distraction at least for the players involved.

I have at least one guy from my senior class who has lost his home to the flooding.

Btw, here's one for you (admittedly I'm stupid). Clemson is still hosting Ga Tech this weekend, so I assume this means that area of SC is okay. Why couldn't LSU and S Carolina play a 'double header' in the same stadium? OK, might be a logistical nightmare, I get that.

Why not play it on Sunday?

There IS a bottom line here, though - with all at stake in the SECCG, the game HAS to be played simply to ensure fairness. I don't think SC has a prayer of winning but then again upsets are pretty commonplace esp in the SEC.

And btw - if SC had an open date on October 31, the game would probably be played then and I can only imagine the screaming from LSU about how unfair that would be because Alabama had an off week.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I saw that the LSU band is learning the USC fight song and alma mater to incorporate in their pregame. Very classy move by LSU.

Do we know yet how they will handle the tickets? I have to assume getting tickets printed for LSU fans isn't easy. Are they going to overnight tickets or just send emails with tickets that can be printed at home? Maybe create some kind of will call on campus where season ticket holders can pick up tickets to this game? There is also the issue of workers for the stadium who thought they had the weekend off. And then there's the logistics of getting food and concessions to the stadium with this short of a turnaround. I'm glad I'm not in charge of all that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw that the LSU band is learning the USC fight song and alma mater to incorporate in their pregame. Very classy move by LSU.

Do we know yet how they will handle the tickets? I have to assume getting tickets printed for LSU fans isn't easy. Are they going to overnight tickets or just send emails with tickets that can be printed at home? Maybe create some kind of will call on campus where season ticket holders can pick up tickets to this game?
Tickets will be e-mailed to buyers for them to print off.

There is also the issue of workers for the stadium who thought they had the weekend off.
Unless demand warrants it, part of the stadium will be closed off to help with this.

And then there's the logistics of getting food and concessions to the stadium with this short of a turnaround.
LSU AD Joe Alleva said yesterday fans can bring one bottle of water per person into the stadium due to the heat and the amount of concessions at the stadium.

My immediate reaction - most of those water bottles aren't going to have water in them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I too wondered why they didn't simply play the game in a venue closer to SC. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc as was mentioned above. But I guess the logistics were just simpler to have it in Baton Rouge. And while I don't whine over this because the circumstances are real, this is yet another break for LSU due to weather. Selma mentioned they are already playing one game less than everyone else. And while it was just McNeese State, that was an opportunity for bumps and bruises to be dodged. That's great for those players, but not so great for everyone else in the league. However, I do hope and pray that South Carolina recovers soon from this disaster and that's really all that matters.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I too wondered why they didn't simply play the game in a venue closer to SC. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc as was mentioned above. But I guess the logistics were just simpler to have it in Baton Rouge. And while I don't whine over this because the circumstances are real, this is yet another break for LSU due to weather. Selma mentioned they are already playing one game less than everyone else. And while it was just McNeese State, that was an opportunity for bumps and bruises to be dodged. That's great for those players, but not so great for everyone else in the league. However, I do hope and pray that South Carolina recovers soon from this disaster and that's really all that matters.
From following this on twitter, I gather this from LSU fans and writers:

Charlotte has NASCAR in town this weekend, so hotel rooms were going to be limited.

Atlanta isn't available because Georgia State has a game Saturday in the Dome and the Falcons have a home game Sunday.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I spoke earlier this morning to one of my accounts in SC (they are right in Columbia) He said there are over 150 roads and bridges that are out and the USC campus has no water and in fact they are using fire trucks to pump water into the hospital there. He thinks it may be weeks before SC can even think of hosting a football game. Those of us who went through the tornado's of 2011 can sympathize with them. We all need to keep those folks in our prayers.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Logistically as well - if you play it in, say, Charlotte or Atlanta (a la the SECCG), you have to find hotel rooms and transportation for BOTH teams rather than just one. To a large degree, you merely invert the original plan.

As far as the one game fewer for LSU - I would remind everyone that we lost Jalston Fowler for the year in a nothing game against Western Kentucky a few years back. TE08 is right - one less game gives them quite an advantage for the long haul of the SEC season.I doubt it will make a significant difference, but it sure could.

Players have season-ending injuries in the preseason for Pete's sake (Jason Sehorn is a great example and I believe it happened to Kindall Moorhead for us in 2000 as well).

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Logistically as well - if you play it in, say, Charlotte or Atlanta (a la the SECCG), you have to find hotel rooms and transportation for BOTH teams rather than just one. To a large degree, you merely invert the original plan.

As far as the one game fewer for LSU - I would remind everyone that we lost Jalston Fowler for the year in a nothing game against Western Kentucky a few years back. TE08 is right - one less game gives them quite an advantage for the long haul of the SEC season.I doubt it will make a significant difference, but it sure could.

Players have season-ending injuries in the preseason for Pete's sake (Jason Sehorn is a great example and I believe it happened to Kindall Moorhead for us in 2000 as well).
I still haven't figured out why they did not play McNeese the next day. It's not like it was a long travel deal or anything.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
They are rolling out the red carpet. Saw they are offering $5 tix to people with USCe student ID's. Classy move by LSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.