Link: LSU-South Carolina game moved to Baton Rouge

ragincajunkarl

May 24, 2013
Lafayette, LA
Most people are picking LSU to win easily, but I see this as a trap game. South Carolina will play inspired, and I know the OBC has one more big win in him.

LSU is doing the right thing. Classy move by the band. I know how this particular Internet community feels about the fans, but every fanbase has their crazies. I think if/when Alabama wins 5 in a row this year, they'll be quiet for a long time. 2011 was a long time ago.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
SC often wears white at home.
Actually we do not. Under Spurrier mostly garnet, though black pops up occasionally and then there were a few years with the gray wounded warrior unis.

This game easily could nave been played in Columbia. IMO the university was worried about bad publicity and acted on emotion. Columbia is hurting, but the area around the stadium and all of the major roads into and out of the stadium are fine and are open. Once the decision was made to move the game the SEC and LSU lobbied very hard to have the game played in BR. UGA supposedly reached out and Jacksonville begged for the game, but the USC AD looked at short term dollars and went with the better financial option. Supposedly USC did not even attempt to reach out to GT, NCSU, or UNC, all who have stadiums available Saturday.

This is a terrible event that certainly puts football on the back burner, but it would've been nice to see USC try to maintain some type of home field advantage. They played a home game less than 48 hours after Hugo hit, they certainly could have played this game in Columbia on Saturday. LSU and its fans have been first class so far, so there is that. Problem is, under the circumstances I doubt USC will send many fans.

On the bright side, now instead of going to the game a group of us will be going to help one of the harder hit areas with cleanup. Fun stuff, ripping out wet sheetrock, carpet, cabinets, etc. I lived through Hugo and was able to ride through Tuscaloosa after the tornado, and while this isn't worse, it is different. Water is a mean SOB when it gets going. The waters literally moved houses off of their foundations in some places.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I suspect their fans will be very hospitable, B1G. It's a southern thing, you know!
Have you ever actually been to Baton Rouge? :biggrin2:

In all seriousness, I suspect you're right in this instance. Kudos to LSU and their fans for going above and beyond for the Gamecocks. And, prayers for as quick a return to normalcy as possible for USC and the people of South Carolina.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
You are probably right. I have little exposure to LSU fans, but the ones that I know are great people. I only wondered because of the comments that I read here on TideFans about their fans.
They tend to be hell on wheels (and on opposing fans) during the game, but generally very friendly before and after. Slightly less so when they lose, but still pretty nice. Nothing like UT fans are in Knoxville, win or lose.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
They tend to be hell on wheels (and on opposing fans) during the game, but generally very friendly before and after. Slightly less so when they lose, but still pretty nice. Nothing like UT fans are in Knoxville, win or lose.
LSU fans cuss you out, throw something at you, then take you in and feed you and become your friend. It's a very unique experience.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If any big school out there should be able to identify with SC, it's certainly LSU. It wasn't all that long ago their levees were bursting forth with flooding and they needed a hand.

Glad to see they're passing it on with some class.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
This game easily could nave been played in Columbia. IMO the university was worried about bad publicity and acted on emotion. Columbia is hurting, but the area around the stadium and all of the major roads into and out of the stadium are fine and are open. Once the decision was made to move the game the SEC and LSU lobbied very hard to have the game played in BR. UGA supposedly reached out and Jacksonville begged for the game, but the USC AD looked at short term dollars and went with the better financial option. Supposedly USC did not even attempt to reach out to GT, NCSU, or UNC, all who have stadiums available Saturday.
Would have been a bad call to have the game here this weekend. They said they typically have around 400 police/fire/medical staff on hand for each home game; many of which have been working non-stop for almost a whole week. Pulling them away from flood relief is hard to justify for a football game.

As for playing at a neutral site, that would involve travel and expense for both teams and very short notice for fans to get there. I heard today that LSU is paying the charter flight for USCe round trip. Playing the game in Baton Rouge was by far the best option.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The best thing LSU could have done for South Carolina is have a full stadium. I understand they have only sold about 39,000 tickets. After LSU takes out expenses, South Carolina will come out short a few million dollars.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The best thing LSU could have done for South Carolina is have a full stadium. I understand they have only sold about 39,000 tickets. After LSU takes out expenses, South Carolina will come out short a few million dollars.
Here's what stinks - my kid is a cheerleader who wants to go to LSU. He had a car wash today or since I have a 3-day, I'd have taken him just for the experience. Made a contribution.

Oh well.

Classy moves here by the Geaux Tigers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.